“Excellent for small group functions!”

Tartufo Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tartufo Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 255 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Conveniently located on the Green line, D line, Newton Center stop
“Excellent for small group functions!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I have now attended three annual small group functions in the upstairs space at Tartufo, and each time we have been delighted with the food, service, and ambience. The space has its own bar and clean bathroom, and the dining area is very comfortable for a group of 25 or so. This last time, I had a pappardelle with wild mushroom entree, and it was excellent. Others in our group had either salmon or chicken Marsala. Those entrees were received well also. There is some on street parking available, but that could be an issue on busier nights, like Friday or Saturday. Overall, this is a very good suburban Italian restaurant, especially for a small group function.

Visited June 2013

Newton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really gone downhill...”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Used to go once in a while years ago...was acceptable to good then. Last year went once and it really took a dive....price vs. value is absurd! Went there again with friends about a month ago...my food was undercooked, pasta sauce was "tasteless", wine was cheap "tablewine" in facny bottle at huge price. Bill totalled about $145 for us and waiter even suggested we did not leave enough tip...! What a nerve!!! We will NEVER go there again....one big ripoff in our minds. Maybe if the "head chef" (more like "head cook") spent more time in the kitchen and less in the dining room impressing customers ..maybe the food could improve, but not holding my breath!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Tom76Newton
Boston, Massachusetts
“Smaller and Intimate Setting”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went here on a Tuesday night and had reservations for 7 pm. Nice setting inside, and there were other diners there as well but it was not crowded. I don't think the reservation was really necessary since it was not completely full.

We all ordered drinks, and I started off with the arugula salad that was tossed with goat cheese and a lemon dressing--very delicious. My friend ordered the same, and my boyfriend ordered the grilled portabella salad. The server put pepper on mine as I requested it, but for my friend's salad he put way too much pepper on hers as she waved her hand over it for him to stop. She only ate a little after that as there was just too much pepper. Big waste of a $10 salad.

For entrees my friend and boyfriend both ordered the butternut squash ravioli, and I ordered the gnocchi. Very good all around, everyone was pleased with their food. Surprisingly, I was still a little hungry afterwards. The helpings are not that large to fill you up completely if you have a large appetite.

Overall a nice place to dine with a small group. It's more of a romantic setting with it being cozy and dimly lit.

Visited March 2013
Stowe, Vermont
“Don't be deceived”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This establishment tries so hard but fails in it's attempt to create a sense of European authenticity. The waiter doubling as host recites the menu in Italian accent, trying to ingratiate himself while mispronouncing so many words it's very hard to understand the list of specials. Extremely noisy place for a Friday evening. The bill for adults, three entrees, two salads and two soups, one glass of wine $130. The flavor and presentation NOTHING SPECIAL. A 20% tip was automatically applied and when no additional tip was included, the same waiter/host came back for more, requesting that it is customary for all patrons of the place to be more generous. Skip this trap. It's not worth your time or money.

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank Conocedor_11
Boston, MA
“Tasteless”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I tried this restaurant. I ordered lobster tagliatelle. The lobster claw tasted like chalk, and the sauce was tasteless. I wanted to taste basil and garlic. The buratta with tomatoes was also tasteless. The yellow tomatoes were the thinnest slices, there was just a touch of balsamic vinegar, not enough to really taste. The best part about the entire dinner was the lemon sorbet. We will never go there again.

• Visited March 2013