“overpriced diner food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Deluxe Station Diner
Ranked #47 of 256 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newton, Massachusetts
“overpriced diner food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

overpriced, diner food with nothing special to offer. the atmosphere is nothing special. that's all.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank rkd246

Massachusetts
“Creative Fries are ADDICTIVE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I'd seen the Deluxe Diner on Phantom Gourmet and was glad to try it myself for dinner before a meeting in nearby Watertown. I started out with the original and creative eggplant fries with a side of marinara, which were INCREDIBLE. I've been craving them ever since! The turkey reuben sandwich was the best I've had, with freshly roasted turkey, thick quality bread and just the right amount of sauerkraut and dressing. Terrific service and fast dinner. Highly recommended.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“Decent, but difficult”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'm a local who has gone here a couple of times. I've always found it a lively place. You can see the food being cooked in the open kitchen design. Everything is visible, and the atmosphere is a groovy steampunk type look that really gives it an industrial feel with a cool look. There aren't any weird pictures of local places or scoreboards of local sports teams. The decor feels good.

I've always heard good things about the food, but personally, I found the salmon dish and the beer I had lacking for the price. That was a couple months ago.

I stopped in today, because it is located right next to the Newton Centre T Stop, a place to grab a bite before getting into the city via public transit. I happened to run into a friend who was grabbing a breakfast. We both order at the same time, I ordered to go, he ordered to stay.

It took about 5-10 minutes after my friend got his breakfast that I got my sandwich. I had to wait an unusually long time. But the sandwich was pretty good.

I would like to remark that people are more apt to write a bad review rather than a good one, but I do want to comment on both the good and the bad. My advice? There might be places a little farther, but this one isn't too bad if distance is your thing.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious breakfast, fun interior design”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had breakfast here before work one morning recently. What a nice surprise! We'd heard it was a fun place, but had no idea how cool it was. The interior design is steampunk-esque. The food was delicious. I had two eggs over easy with a green salad, sausage patties, and toast. Also shared a large pancake with my spouse. All was delicious and service was friendly, though the wait staff seemed a little bit overburdened.

Boston, Massachusetts
“this is what a diner is meant to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

if you're into diner food, you'll appreciate this one. The diner is housed in an old granite building which is also the stop for the T (equivalent of the underground in London) at Newton Centre just outside Boston city. Inside it's decorated with an eclectic mix of faux iron beams and composite mechanical sculptures that deliver ambience whereby you wouldn't be surprised if your food was served by Jules Verne...
Speaking of food, the menu is as scrambled as the eggs, with a huge range of everything you'd expect in the way of waffles, pancakes and the other, er, health foods that diners are known for. (there are lots of healthy options too...but why would you?)
well worth a trip, Newton is a nice little "town" too.