“A very pleasant surprise”
Review of B Street Restaurant - CLOSED

B Street Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: MBTA Green Line "D" branch to Newton Center.
Description: B Street Restaurant & Bar is a neighborhood spot in Newton Center. B Street's menu features reasonably priced familiar food with a bit of an upscale flair. Our comfortable bar offers a full selection of liquors and specialty cocktails. An extensive wine list is served by the glass or bottle. Our beer selection includes familiar national brands as well as many local and regional craft beers.
Wellesley, MA
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Clutching our Groupon in hand, we sallied forth on Sunday late afternoon to this store front restaurant in Newton Center. It was early and we had a choice of any table or booth. Seated at a booth we were given the menu and the wine/beer list by an enthusiastic waitress.
The menu offered a varied selection mostly around $20. We were on a mission to spend $50 so we chose the loin lamb chops with watercress and buttered mashed potatoes. The wine by the bottle was reasonable enough and what we did not consume, we had packed in plastic to take home. Typically we are a 1/2 bottle family. We did not chose among a few salad appetizers.

The chops came medium to rare and were delicious. Nicely seared and lacking and gaminess. They came as a generous pair and were perfectly cooked. The watercress atop the dish was also welcome. I have rarely had a better prepared dish.

No less wonderful was the dessert. A strawberry rhubarb crisp with vanilla ice cream that was a perfect coda to this wonderful dinner.

We were both surprised and delighted by this discovery. The question of course is can they keep it up. In any case we will look forward to our next meal there.

• Visited July 2012

Newton, Mass
“"Cool" and "Newton" are finally found in the same sentence”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I should say that my experience here was limited to three take-out "starters" but all (turkey chili, fresh tomato bisque and chicken barley) were excellent, even though they were very different. The chicken barley tasted qutie homemade, if a little bland. (I like my chicken soup bland.) The turkey chili was strongly flavored with cumin, and was very tasty, while the tomato bisque was redolent of tomatoes and also nicely flavored.

I did spend 15 minutes there, at the bar. The staff and customers are about 10 years younger than average for Newton, and the whole place seems like it could be attached to a boutique hotel -- a small but well-stocked bar, tables close together but not cramped and a decibel level loud enough to feel vibrant but you didn't have to shout to be heard.

Newton has many casual restaurants and two upscale formal ones -- this fills the niche in between.

• Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“A good place for a light dinner and drinks”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

It is a small restaurant that packs a lot of seating without feeling cramped. The menu has a lot of appetizers, soups and salads but too few entrees; I struggled to find something for dinner. Everything was nicely prepared and tasted very good. The staff were very friendly and the place was full by 6:30 on a Saturday night. Reservations are not accepted.

• Visited March 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Small neighborhood gem. Great food for a great price!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We tried B Street recently for brunch, and after drooling over the dinner menu I knew we’d be back soon. Bonus: B Street is on Restaurant.com which offered us a $50 gift card for $25. Small catch, you have to spend $100. But with this incredible menu that wasn’t a problem!

Bread: Three slices arrived for the 2 of us with a side of EVOO. When I saw the bread being delivered earlier I wasn’t too excited but it was actually better than it looked. The EVOO was plain which was a tad disappointing, but the bread was soft and filling.

Menu: The winter menu features Soups & Salads, Starters, Entrees and Additions. It may sound simple but I’ve never been more overwhelmed with mouth-watering options! I wanted 4 out of the 6 Soups & Salads, 6 out of the 8 Starters, and just about every entrée had something special that was calling my name. They also have a fun cocktail list, although only a couple caught my eye (like this Ruby Slipper).
Matt & I were torn on our food decision, so decided to order tapas style…

Food/Presentation:
Salmon Tartar: Asian Style Spices, Ginger, Sesame & Sweet Pepper with Baked Wonton Crisps
The tartar was cubed perfectly and I was happy to see it was salmon instead of the usually tuna. It didn’t appear to be that great of a portion at first, but it was more than enough for the 2 of us to share.

Grilled Flatbread: Fig Jam, Duck Confit, and Gorgonzola
No picture can do this justice! I love almost anything with fig, but pair it with duck & gorgonzola on a flatbread? Amazing! I would order this again in a heartbeat and urge you to try it ASAP.

Turkey Chili: Butternut Squash & Tomatoes, topped with Vermont Cheddar & House Baked Tortilla Chips
Served in a small cast iron bowl, the chili came topped with the melted cheese and tortilla chips. While there were plenty of pieces of squash, I was expecting more of a butternut squash flavor. This dish was good & hearty, and I wouldn’t discourage you from trying it but it wasn’t my favorite of the evening.

Sweet Corn Bisque with a Polenta Crouton
The soup consistency was in between a broth based and a thick puree. It was so delicious that I completely forgot about the lack of the polenta crouton (which I was truly looking forward to).

Arugula Salad: Poached Eggs, Grape Tomatoes, Shaved Parmesan & Cracker Pepper Vinaigrette
I don’t love runny/poached eggs, but I tried a bite anyways. Not bad, but it wouldn’t personally be my first choice of salad.

Bathroom: A 1 room/stall unisex bathroom. The bright red walls and square flat sink gave it a little edge, and I particularly liked the giant photo of a 1950’s housewife eating pie.

Service: I don’t fully understand why restaurants don’t take reservations, which is probably my only issue with B Street. We waited about 20-30 mins in a cramped hallway, but the hostess checked on us a couple of times. Jackie was our server for brunch a couple of weekends ago and luckily for us we sat in her section again this evening. The place was jam-packed and she could have been understandably over-whelmed and frantic, but she was the opposite. She gave us plenty of time to enjoy our starters before we ordered our 2nd course. She was really friendly and I’ll be requesting her for our next visit.

Overall: B Street is small in size but mighty in offerings and flavor! They have a cute bar and have optimized seating with some booths, banquettes, and high tops. The menu is outrageous in a ‘I want everything I see’ kind of way; the entrées really do sound excellent, but they can wait! The Winter Menu will only be around for another month or two, so I’m going back soon for the Braised Short Rib Quesadilla and the Pumpkin Hummus with Grilled Naan Bread.

The Perfect Bite: I’m still dreaming about the Corn Bisque and the Flatbread. If I must choose… it has to be the Fig Jam & Duck Confit Flatbread with that strong Gorgonzola – amazing flavor!

For more photos and descriptions of what everyone in my party ate, visit my Facebook Page. Be sure to “Like” it!

• Visited January 2012
Boston
“NYC ambiance in Newton Centre”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Tried going 3 times - always packed - which means something is working. Finally went on a Thursday evening - and managed to get a table. Food above average. A little too squashed - with people waiting in the center of the restaurant. Could have more vegetarian options - otherwise a good addition to the suburbs

• Visited January 2012