“Great food, awesome atmosphere”
Review of The Local

The Local
Ranked #22 of 260 Restaurants in Newton
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I came here with some coworkers for a colleague's going away lunch (on a Friday- I think the Local only does lunch on Fridays) and I was really pleasantly surprised. It was a nice sized place and had really great simple dark decor. I bet this is a great place to be at night because it would be cozy and dark. I ordered a sandwich special with a side salad and was shocked at how large the side salad was. The sandwich was incredibly tasty (turkey club) but a bit rich so I ended up taking half my meal to-go.

They have a great beer and wine list and the dinner menu looks awesome as well. This is basically a really nice gastropub in Newton. I would definitely recommend coming here after work for some drinks and a meal or for a Friday lunch with friends. I'll for sure be back.

There are newer reviews for The Local

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stopped by after the matinee at the West Newton Cinema....nice selection of wines and cocktails. This time I tried the Ginger Rogers....delicious!!!!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We read about this restaurant in the AAA magazine that had come in the mail. We are thrilled that we happened to take a chance and go. The only downside is that they don't take reservations, its on a first come first serve basis. You can call ahead and see how long the wait will be. We ordered the humus and veggie plate for an appetizer. It was so good and the veggies were so fresh and crunchy. I ordered the fish tacos,YUMMY ! My husband ordered the special of the day which was fish. He also was very pleased. The good thing about this restaurant is that you can either order healthy choices or not. We split a desert of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. The Local was not a disappointment at all, in fact just the opposite, a great find. The wait staff was so nice and friendly and accommodating. Try it, you'll keep on coming back.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We live in Newton and just love this place. Food is great and can be on the healthier side if you want....or not! Excellent wine selection in a Pub style place. Typically we enjoy sitting/dining at the bar (first come, first serve) or newly expanded high top table area. Only down side is that they don't take reservations and it can sometimes be a long wait during popular hours. Crowd is somewhat local & of all ages. Many come after working out together at the Boston Sport Club down the street.

1  Thank love2travelKelly
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My friend and I finally got here last night and it did not disappoint. We had about a 1/2 hour wait, but anticipated this from other reviewers. Enjoyed a local beer while we waited at the Bar. GREAT space and a really nice selection of beers and wine. We were seated within the 1/2 hour and our waiter was perfect. We got the homemade potato chips with the warm french onion dip...holy oniondipness, it was SO good, absolutely addictive. For entrees, my friend got the Fish Tacos, which she raved about and I got the Braised Short Rib, which were seriously perfect, I cleaned my plate. We opted to share the dessert special, Cranberry/Orange Bread Pudding and this was incredible. Then we ended up just sitting and chatting for awhile and the staff were perfectly content to let us sit there, which was nice. Would highly recommend this restaurant and the only thing to be aware of is that it most likely WILL be busy and you most likely will have to take some time to find parking. But both these things are easily overlooked when such yummy food is awaiting for you. The Local completely does dining right.

Been to The Local? Share your experiences!