“Nice hostess, super room and great location”

Chesley Road Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Newton B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Nice hostess, super room and great location”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed a weekend in this lovely B&B and it was just great. Ellen, the owner of the B&B is a very nice person who helped us planning our day trip to Boston by giving us maps, brochures and personal tips. The room is big, nice and very clean - the same as the big bathroom next to our room.

Best part of the B&B is the location. You can spend the night outside the city without the noises and with the subway it is short ride into the center of Boston.

We would absolutely recommend the B&B to everyone, who likes a friendly atmosphere and a nice place to stay for a city trip!

Chris, Germany

• Stayed March 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chris042

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
boston area
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I live in the Newton Center area and frequently have family come to visit. We cannot accommodate them in our house and have often sent them to this B&B, which is very convenient to our home as well asto Newton Centre. Over the past 5 years, I have placed many friends and family at the Chesley Rd B&B. The only problems we have ever had with them has been that it can be hard to get rooms at peak times (ie, Boston college graduation and the Marathon weekends). The inn is lovely, very conveniently located. Rooms are amply sized, comfortable and nicely furnished without being overbearing. The bathroom is large, and everything is clean. The innkeepers are always solicitous of me and my guests. I will continue to use this B&B: it is wonderful, and my guests have all loved it!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mistressofcups
davsil
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This Victorian B&B has been our home several times when we visited the
Boston area. It¹s less then 2 blocks from the T and we usually leave our
car in the driveway and travel around by T.
The hosts have always been warm and often went the extra mile for us. One
visit, I had to attend an evening out with business associates. I found to
my dismay, I had left much of my necessities at home. Ellen came through
with clothing and shoes she allowed me to borrow! They keep a stack of
umbrellas by the door incase you forget those too.
We like the fact that we can eat breakfast whenever we get up. The dining
room is set up every day, and there is a fridge right there so we help
ourselves. Coffee is set to go for whatever time we have told the hosts we
expect to emerge from our dens.
The beds are excellent, and we really enjoy the welcoming and homey
atmosphere. We have spent several evenings sharing wine and talking with
Ellen and Craig in the gorgeous living room.
We feel we have friends there, and will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank davsil
North Central Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I just returned the other day from a three day stay at Chelsey Road Bed and Breakfast in Newton, Mass. The town is quaint and touristy in a most non threatening way and I only wish I had more time to spend there. The Bed and Breakfast is conveniently located three blocks from "The T" Boston's fond way of referring to the mass rail transit system.
I am not sure how long this establishment has been in operation. The house is 160 years old, I was told by Ellen and Craig. The couple, who have grown children, seemed friendly but I came away feeling very put off and neglected. There are only three rooms, two on the second floor and my room very close to the litter box! Yes, you are reading correctly. The proprietor, Ellen, told me that she had not time to clean before my scheduled arrival and since I own cats of my own, I told her not to worry but I could'nt help but feel uncomfortable since the room is $95.00 per night and she told me that the rates would be going up shortly!!
Secondly, the hostess seemed friendly at first but on one of the evenings her husband led me into their kitchen ( usually not frequented by guests) and I waited while he went into the basement to heat up my leftovers. I attempted to engage Ellen in polite conversation whereupon she became quite snappy and rude with me and told me that she simply could not talk as she had spent all day in conversation. Needless to say, I was astonished and could not wait to flee the downstairs dining room for my own room.
The first night it was a bit chily but my blankets worked fine. The second night, the temperature went down and there is no heater in the room, so I was quite chilled!!! The floors are all wood so one really feels the chill. The following morning, I left a note to the host and hostess to please provide me with a heater. My request was totally ignored!!!! In addition, there were some other guests dining for breakfast the last morning of my stay and I was instructed to put their coffee in a decanter to keep it from getting cold!! On my final morning, there was no place setting set out for me and I felt as though perhaps I was not entitled to my final $95.00 breakfast!!!
As I was leaving at 6:20 in the morning to head back towards The T, became very upset because the heat had just come up but I had to take a cold bath. The owners were aware that I was leaving very early and evidently I did not merit the benefit of the heated house since I was leaving anyway.
In short, these people were not careful about tending to the guests needs and should not be moonlighting if they cannot pay attention to the basics.
P. S. it should also be noted that there were a host of toiletries in the bathroom but most were outdated and some smelled a bit funny.
Otherwise the room was clean but nothing to write home about.
This booking was not my first choice and I was booked there as my first choice was full due a college weekend.

• Liked — The beautiful museum-like house
  • Disliked — the inexperience of the host and hostess
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank SharingLioness
RaineSilver, owner at Chesley Road Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
I was very dismayed to read this guests review, particularly since it represents us so unfairly. While staying here, this guest was absolutely complementary and uncomplaining, even going so far as to request our cards to distribute at the doctor's office she was in town to visit. She repeatidly said how lovely the house was, and in no way indicated she was at all unhappy.
We try to accomodate everyone's different needs, and clearly, that is not always possible. It's unfortunate that this guest chose to write such a negative review, we have been running this business for 10 years and while we cannot please everyone, we do try to. Hearing her complaints while she was here would have enabled us to take better care of her. Hearing complains embroidered and enlarged by distance and anger does not fairly allow us to make changes.
In response, we have asked several of our repeat guests to write a review in order to obtain a fairer representation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#77 of 83 in Boston

Been to Chesley Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!