“Last Minute Reprive”

Ranked #2 of 6 Newton B&B and Inns
california
“Last Minute Reprive”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We tend to travel without making hotel arrangements until we arrive; fun but slightly stressful :). We originally looked to stay at Park Lane B&B, but they were sold out. Instead they offered to refer me to Chesley Rd. It was a very casual booking and we actually never talked to Ellen until we arrived (Park Ln made the arrangements). When we arrived, we were greeted at the porch by their HUGE black and white cat. Sweet and friendly. Then I turned and saw their orange cat with something in its mouth. The cat dropped it and it turned out to be a baby bunny! Coming from LA, I assumed it dropped a chew toy. Good thing the bunny was still fine and just hopped away. So the cats were amusing!
The house itself is very clean and not cluttered like some other B&Bs we've stayed at. There's no particular "look" and signs were casual (just printed out on computer paper). The room we stayed in included a beautiful deck and the most comfy bed. It was a little cold, but there is a plug in heater and you can request to Ellen to have the room heat turned on. Nothing special about the bathroom; plenty of leftover sample shampoos from past guests. It was very much like staying at a friends house, not perfect but neat. Breakfast was self serve - bread, fruit, juice, cereal, and the tv room and sitting room were shared with the daughters and the two cats. Beware - the cats are VERY friendly. Will just hop on your lap and meow for attention.
The inn is walking distance to a lot of shops and restaurants, so there is plenty to do during the day. A little quiet at night.
I'm not sure if they even have a website, but you can call 617-527-5793 for a reservation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ibstraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seattle
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I would recommend this B&B to anyone who needs a nice and nurturing place in the Boston suburbs. Ellen and Craig are cordial and hospitable and do everything to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Their beautiful remodeled home is easy access to the T and lots of nice neighborhood shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Joyce B
West Kingston, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Chesley Road Bed & Breakfast at least 4 times over the past few years and have always enjoyed a warm, comfortable stay. With this last trip, I figure I should write a review, as this elegant rambling Victorian has undergone some amazing construction and is really worth talking about! Ellen and Craig, the hospitable owners, open their beautiful home to a just a few folks at a time (one wing of the house) and couldn't be more accomodating and laid-back hosts. I always feel that I am truly a guest in a real home, not some over-priced hotel or fancy-lacy inn. The guest rooms are clean and charming and they also have lovely commom areas where I feel completely welcome and at home. When the weather is right, the large porches, now finishing renovation, offered me a great place to relax. This is a lovely Victorian B&B --near Boston, colleges, highways, and a short walk to Newton Center-- with charm and helpful, hospitable hosts! I definately will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank QueensRiverMimi25
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at Ellen and Craig's B&B on a recent trip back to Boston to see family and friends. In full disclosure, Ellen is an old friend of mine and I had always wanted to check out the B&B (never had in the past, as I was a local resident). The place is lovely; Craig is renovating and updating the historic Victorial with all the architectural swirls and polish it deserves. It is fascinating for architecture lovers or just plain aesthetes like myself. Food was of good quality and met my "local and fresh" standards. Beds were comfy and the rooms were nicely appointed. And, of course, the company was great - not just Ellen and Craig, who are attentive and hospitable to all, but also the guests present , who were on interesting journeys themselves. Great location if you have to hit the highway or the airport as well; the Mass Turnpike is 5 -7minutes from the house.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jennaveev
Nevada City, California
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed at Ellen and Craig's B & B in July when we came to Boston looking to relocate. Their home is a beautiful restored Victorian house. The room is well appointed and very comfortable. Ellen thoughtfully provided gluten free breakfast options once she learned I was wheat intolerant. They made us feel very welcome. Now we are moving to Boston and their lovely home was the first place we thought to stay while waiting to move into our new apartment. We definitely recommend their B & B and also want to mention that it is very conveniently located and easily accessible to Boston attractions.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert W
Gaffney, South Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2010

The historical 1849 home is perfectly located and Ellen and Craig are engaging and friendly hosts. Our room was clean and cozy and we were allowed to come and go as though it were our own home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricketson
Boston
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife just started Law School at Boston College, walking distance from Newton Centre. We stayed at the Chesley Road B&B twice, once in early August to find a place to live, then again for a few days at the end of the month while we waited for September 1st, our move-in date. In total, we spent about 8 or 9 days there.

Since we were so new to the area, Ellen and Craig were especially helpful- they recommended real estate agents, vets for our cats, got us maps and brochures, even recommending neighborhoods for us to search for apartments. Craig even offered to drive us places when he had time. Both Craig and Ellen mostly left us to our own devices during the day.

The rooms and beds were comfortable, the bathrooms clean and spacious. (Our house is about 100 years old, and the bathroom is tiny.) The downstairs rooms were great places to sit and talk, read the newspaper or watch TV, or check the (free wireless) internet for more places to live.

The breakfast was okay. The food and coffee was all fresh and of decent quality. Though the selection wasn't too extensive, there was a wide enough variety that both my wife and I were satisfied.

For all this, we felt the price (just over $100) was very fair and reasonable, especially compared to the hotel rates in the area. We now have a 1-bedroom apartment in a nearby area. Chesley Road B&B is convenient, reasonably-priced, and has an excellent home-like feel. If we have friends or family coming to visit we will definitely recommend they stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank JesseandNancy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#75 of 83 in Boston
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham

Been to Chesley Road Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!