“Won't be back”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My girl friend and I went on a Saturday night. We were seated upon arrival and ordered drinks. The Port Tavern is sort of a sports bar restaurant, quite loud, no table cloths or anything to absorb some of the excess sound. Could be a fun place, but not for a romantic evening. Menu had typical list of sandwiches, burgers, and then more upscale entrees. I ordered Mahi and my girlfriend "crispy duck" from the list of specials for the evening. No rolls or anthing while you wait for your dinner. At the time I placed my order I asked the waitress for two glasses of water. (My drink came on the rocks, although I had asked for it with water, didn't want to make a deal, so a glass of water would have solved the problem). I kept waiting for the water. Saw my waitress wandering back and forth empty handed a number of times, thought each time she was getting my water, but still didn't appear. Finally after about 20 minutes our meals arrived at which time I again asked for water. She did bring some a few minutes later. The food was decent, not great, but had a nice presentation. We started eating and at this point my girlfriend had finished about 2/3rds of her drink when we noticed a huge crack in her glass that wasn't seen when the glass was full. A minute or so later the waitress came by to check on our meal and we showed her the glass. She said she was sorry and took the glass and disappeared, presumably to tell the bartender or manager or someone. She came later to clear our plates and ask about desert with not one word about the broken glass. We ordered coffee and then when the bill came we saw we were charged full price for the drink even though we didn't get a full drink. I paid the bill, left a reasonable tip as I didn't know if it were the waitress or management who dropped the ball about the broken glass, but did mention it to the hostess on the way out. All I got was I'm sorry. I think most restaurants would have comped the drink or offered a few dollars off or been a bit more concerned about serving a drink in a broken glass. I can understand how it might have happened, but the blase attitude of management to the problem was a big turn off. There are many similar restaurants in the Newburyport area such as the Grog with better food at lower prices.

1  Thank BostonJandP

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I Visited this Pub last week and had a bad meal and did nt really want to return but my husband had already agreed to meet his freinds over from England .
The first visit I had the tuna which was just accompanied by a clump of boiled rice and one ring of pineapple.Last night I had fish and chips which was much better and there was pleanty of it. Also there was music .Two guys on guitars who were excellant musicians
I really enjoyed the evening and may return on a thursday night if theres music. The first meal wasnt value for money and our freind also said his curry was not very good either so dont know if they had a different chef on last night .,or if we just chose the wrong meals.

Reviewed December 2, 2011

Found by accident first time exploring Newburyport. We vacation in the area every summer and have stopped in each time. Good beer selection, friendly staff, good food. Going to stop by for lunch on our way to Maine for Christmas by the Sea.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I've been to Ireland and love the local pub scene. This is as close as I've seen in America. We went to see the game on TV and enjoy local brews. There was an Irish music jam session going on in the back room. People sitting around playing Irish tunes. They even sang a few times. It was fantastic!! The food is good and they have big screens for the games.

2  Thank joelinda
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stopped in just for a drink, but ended up ordering some tasty wings too. The menu looked like it had some great items on it (I would have liked to try the angry shrimp) and the bartenders were very friendly and helpful. Nice clean restaurant with nice updated/cozy decor for a restaurant/bar.