“Small, friendly restaurant with a strong local vibe”

Giuseppe's Fresh Pasta Fine Food.
Ranked #20 of 107 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Full Service Family Italian Restaurant with Full Bar, Take Out, Grab and Go, Italian Deli and Marketplace, Party Trays for all occasions. Established on 1995.
Reviewed October 3, 2016

My wife and I found it on Yelp while driving home to Ohio from Maine. We were there on a Saturday night and had to sit at the bar. It's a small place with not so very many tables. I ordered veal marsala and my wife ordered pasta with the marinara sauce. I tasted the sauce on my wife's dish...I wish I had gotten that. My veal was great but the sauce was just excellent. (Don't pay any attention to the "not authentic" review below...I do a lot of cooking and I know what a good tomato sauce tastes like.) The value was good and the service was very friendly and efficient, even on that busy night. The restaurant has a large take-out counter and menu just as you go in and a small grocery area as well.

I'd recommend Giuseppe's to anyone, including families with kids.

Reviewed September 13, 2016

I have been a customer of Giuseppe's since they opened over 20 years ago. I love the food, which is always delicious and consistently good quality. Wait staff is always polite, friendly and professional. Atmosphere is welcoming, being greeted by Giuseppe is always a plus! Takeout is a great way to have a hot meal without getting fast food. It has been a joy watching this family owned restaurant grow and expand. Newburyport would not be the same without this landmark.

Reviewed August 25, 2016

We just moved to the area recently and tried Giussepe's for the first time last night, a Wednesday evening. We arrived about 6:40 and after pulling in from the road became slightly concerned about finding a parking spot. We found one behind the building and as we got out of the car were wondering how we would squeeze out between the building and parked cars! It all worked out.

The place was very busy inside with several customers ordering or waiting for take-out. The kitchen and wait staff were as busy as a hive of bees, but we were seated promptly in a booth along the bar. Our server Cindy was fantastic - full of helpful info and extremely friendly. She helped me choose from the massive menu which has, among many other offerings, over 25 pasta sauce options. It's great that you can basically customize your entree by choosing pasta, sauce and additions such as meatballs etc.

I ordered the daily special salad of baby greens, baby mozzarella balls, basil, roasted peppers and more. Then the hubby had to complicate things by asking for a small Caesar salad with the addition of anchovies. His salad came quickly, but mine never showed up, so clearly his 'special' order screwed up my salad - as usual his fault :) Anyway Cindy as very busy with other tables and didn't come by our way again, and when I saw entrees being delivered I was confident the salad wouldn't be missed as far as filling up goes. Hubby enjoyed his salad which looked fresh, sounded crisp and was a generous "small" portion. After he dumped the anchovies on top I declined to try any of it.

For dinner I had spinach & ricotta gnocchi with the house pink sauce (recommended by Cindy) and he had the meat lasagna. Both were huge portions served hot and nicely presented. Cindy had explained which pastas were made in-house, and that included the lasagna noodles. The red "ragu" style sauce was also homemade but while it had meat, it was more tomato-y than we are used to for a traditional ragu but still had great flavor. The lasagna also uses a bechamel rather than ricotta which is a nice chance of pace. My gnocchi was fluffy and light with great flavor, but the pink sauce was the real star. The bacon pieces added a noticeable and delicious smokiness to the dish and the mushroom slices added texture. I tried to save some to take for lunch at work, but it was too good to stop eating.

We were very full so skipped dessert. Cindy provided us with a take-out menu which I am certain we will be using within the week. We were pleasantly surprised at the affordability of this plentiful meal and found the food quality/price an excellent value.

2  Thank Breggie09
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Service is now great and they are fully staffed. I had shrimp scampi and my friend had vegetable-stuffed ravioli both were excellent!

Reviewed August 22, 2016

This is a very cute little Italian restaurant located where there is no other. It also has a take-out section (always very busy), and a cute little Italian food market.
The atmosphere is cozy, and the wait-staff very friendly and attentive. And, the wine is priced reasonably.
There is the usual selection of Italian dishes. Most are good, but the red sauce leaves a lot to be desired. It just doesn't "make it" for some reason.
Still, I go back. It's just a nice night away from cooking at home.