“Excellent fish chowder. Generous portions. Friendly staff.”
Review of Thirsty Whale

Thirsty Whale
Ranked #26 of 102 Restaurants in Newburyport
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My sister and I stopped here for lunch during a day trip to Newburyport, MA. We were looking for reasonable prices and good food.

What we found was great food at great prices. I had the fish chowder. For the price, I was expecting a cup, but received a bowl with huge prices of fish and a few potatoes (as opposed to lots of potatoes and some fish, which I have found elsewhere). Yum! My sister had the walnut salad, and she said it was very good.

I saw the waitress bring a corned beef and cabbage lunch to one of the other customers. (It was March 15th.) Two huge pieces of corned beef were complemented with about six small potatoes, along with the cabbage, etc. If I had seen that before I ordered, I would have ordered that!

All in all, great food at decent prices. Oh, and did I mention that our friendly waitress gave us extra bread? It was toasty warm and so delicious. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Julie K

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch on the way to Portsmouth,NH from Boston, MA. Cute little pub offering about 10 different beers on tap. The food is pretty good. I ordered a chicken wrap, was kind of nice to have healthy options vs typical fried bar food. Friendly service. Bar is cash only so come prepared!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was a great place for late night cocktail with your buddies.
Loved the relaxed vibe and people watching.
Kind of a locals hang but you are welcome if you are an out of towner! Good drinks...pretty cheap too

Only negative...End of night- very large and loud bouncer who proclaimed 'time to go people' with lights on- ( kind of unnecessary...everyone was peaceful and on their way out.)

1  Thank bostonnurse
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Good service and good food for a reasonable price! Other places were quite pricey and here we got chowder and a lobster roll for $15.95. Waitress was very nice.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

On our recent trip to Newburyport to visit friends, by default we landed for a spell in the Thirsty Whale. I can say the following because it's true: Newburyport is a hot bed of snobbery. Not the Natives by any means, but the New Wealth Urbanites to a very discernible degree. The exact opposite of 'that' is the Thirsty Whale. We were welcomed like old friends and somewhat the center of attention being from Texas and all. Great afternoon of Northeastern hospitality. If you find yourself in Newburyport and in need of a sparkling adult beverage, friendly faces, and interesting conversation, make a stop at the Thirsty Whale. 5 stars from this Texan.

3  Thank 1954bratt