“Waterfront dining at a cost”

Ranked #7 of 102 Restaurants in Newburyport
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

$70 for lunch (not including tip) includes a bottle of sparking water, 3 margaritas, steamers, onion rings, boneless buffalo chicken, garden salad. Nice ocean views and breezy atmosphere - all wonderful. I sincerely question the portion size of steamers. Menu stated 1.5 pounds, but didn't appear to be that amount - I eat these regularly. The best tasting clams since they are from Essex, issue I had, they were full of sand - much more than usually found. Kitchen staff needs to clean them better. Margaritas were served with Orangina mixed into the drink!! Never heard is such a thing and it tasted awful so the waiter replaced with a new one which was better but appeared watered down mix.. What the heck? Margaritas are basic! You don't mess with the ingredients okay? Over all the waiter was very pleasant and was a nice ending after 3 hours of kayaking. Worth going to once a year maybe, but so many better options downtown Newburyport, which goes to say, if its directly on the water, it's pretty much a tourist place and priced to see the waterfront.

Erica H, Guest Relations Manager at Michael's Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hi Bruce B:

I appreciate your time reviewing Michael's and I am glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and view. I am sorry to hear that there was too much sand in the clams and this is something I will address immediately. They should be rinsed thoroughly, so this is not an issue.

Although we should not be adding Orangina to our Margarita's, I will confirm this with the bar staff. I have never heard of such a thing either, so I will make sure this is not happening. Again, thanks for you time and please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Michael's is a casual restaurant with very good seafood. The top outside deck is wonderful for sitting and watching the boats in the harbor and smelling the sea air. There is also a more formal outside deck below that is equally pleasant. The waitstaff is very friendly and eager to please. Can be bit loud with music at certain times so you might need to check ahead.

Erica H, Guest Relations Manager at Michael's Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hi Jary13:

Thank you for taking the time to review Michael's! The setting really is fantastic to enjoy a meal! Just so you know, all bands are listed on Facebook and our website, so you can always check ahead to see when they will be playing. I know it can get a bit loud if you are trying to find a quiet dinner spot! I hope you will continue to come and enjoy the Michael's experience throughout the fall and winter.

Best,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

So lets talk about my last visit to Michaels... I brought a family member from out of town there and he loved it. We started with the fried pickles...sounds gross but well worth a try, they are simply delicious. I always get whatever fresh catch they have with the citrus garlic butter & mashed potatoes. Lets see he got the fried haddock Po boy and he said it was the best he has had in a while. Michaels is a great place to just sit and have a glass of wine & some fried pickles.....:) and watch in envy all the beautiful boats going by that you know you can never afford!

Erica H, Guest Relations Manager at Michael's Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hi EllaO951:

I am happy you and your family member enjoyed your most recent experience at Michael's. The fried pickles really are delicious, especially watching all the beautiful boats while enjoying them! Thanks for taking the time to review us and please feel free to email me with any questions or comments in the future!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have eaten here several times since moving to New England in 2005 and have never been disappointed by the food or seervice. We ate there last Saturday night during the Labor Day holiday and the Newburyport river Festival so the area was crowded, yet we were seated immediately and the service left nothing to be desired. Waitress was attentive without hanging over us which I like better than them having to few customers to keep them occupied! Food was as always -- good and plenty of it. While not the cheapest place in town, it has wonderful views of the harbor, indoor and outdoor seating, friendly staff and good food. I feel comfortable in recommending it to anyone going through Newburyport.

1  Thank One_scuba_diver

Hi One_scuba_diver:

Thanks for taking time to review Michael's. It's nice to hear of your pleasant experience here and how much you enjoyed the service and views. I hope you are able to come visit us again soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Much improved from our last visit! Had the baked haddock, cooked to perfection, great bloody Mary's! The whole dinner was outstanding. My hub had fried clams and scallops, loved them, he is hard to please. Our water was wonderful, High season is over time to return down town. No more expensive then a couple other clam places that have added a 5 dollar surcharge to all clam dinners. We go for the view but will return for the food.

Erica H, Guest Relations Manager at Michael's Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hi Samsgramboston:

It's great to hear about your experience at Michael's and the improvement with your meal over your last visit. There's nothing like enjoying some fried seafood while overlooking the Newburyport harbor! Although the cold weather is rolling in, I do hope you still come over and have a meal at Michael's inside!

Regards,