“Excellent Dinner”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: High Street
Transit: Public Lot available on Green Street
Description: Set in the beautiful seaside town of historic Newburyport, Massachusetts, Mission Oak Grill is an inviting, warm restaurant elegantly decorated with wood tones and classic leather. Guests can dine in our bustling mission-style dining room as well as at our spacious and lively bar. Serving a full menu seven days a week, our many steaks are simply prepared using fresh local ingredients of the highest quality. Mission Oak Grill welcomes you to join us for dinner and to sample our extensive International wine list. We are sure you will find the service to be exemplary and your experience to be wonderful, time and time again.
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We were staying in Newburyport over a Monday night and found that our first choice restaurant, Center Street was not open on Monday's. We had driven by the Mission Oak restaurant on our way into town and decided to give it a try. As mentioned by many other reviewers, it is in a converted church. When we got there around 6 PM we noted that it was not very busy, not surprising on a Monday evening. There is a large bar area just off the center of the room, a large number of bar height tables and stools, and quite a few tables and booths. The interior is black paint and dark wood. Very contenporary and chic but quite a contrast from the sunshine we had just left. The hostess seated us in a booth by one of the large church windows which gave us a view outside as well as more light. Both the wine list and the menu were quite extensive. Prices were what I would have expected at a nice restaurant, with entrees from the mid teens to the high twenties.
My wife chose the salmon with a shallot and mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes (we don't remember the vegetable) and I chose the seared ahi tuna special with sunomono and asparagus. My wife loves salmon but was a little suspicious about the mushroom and shallot sauce thinking it seemed odd with salmon. Both of our meals were delicious. Surprisingly the sauce worked very well with the salmon. My tuna was excellent, a generous amount, very tender and just seared lightly. The asparagus was baby and cooked very lightly so it remained crunchy and full of flavor. The service was very friendly and very prompt. As we were eating the place filled up somewhat. Probably 30-40% of the tables were filled by the time we left, not bad for a Monday night. In all, a very pleasant dining experience. We would certainly return if we were in the Newburyport area again.

Reviewed March 21, 2009

Keep driving-Newburyport Ma has many more offerings that are worth your hard earned money.

2  Thank kkrm1104
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2009

The idea of an old church converted into a restaurant in of itself is appealing. The Mission Oak Grill was a nice surprise! The lighting was perfectly ambiant, the wine list phenominal (I want to take it home) - I love the great selection of California wines from afforable ($30) to the great Far Niete ($200+) - (the by the glass list wasn't as impressive, but understandably so) - the menu offered a nice selection of steaks and seafood with a good moderate price. I had the hanger steak which was seasoned and tastey. I will definitely check out the bar with the half price apps during happy hour time!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
East Kingston, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Good food, overpriced.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I have eaten at Mission Oak Grill twice. The first time I was not overly impressed, but it is so popular, it seemed worth a second try. Big Mistake. I ate at the bar, as I normally do when I am alone. I ordered the lamb well done (yes, I am a Philistine in this regards). The meat arrived rare. I ate part of one of the two chops (the outer edge) before I realized it was not cooked through. The other chop was even rarer. I tried to talked to the bar tenders, and then catch their eye, but was ignored. I stopped eating and sat for 10 minutes until one deigned to ask if I wanted the meal wrapped to take home. I told him I wanted it cooked. He sent it back. It returned with one chop cooked through, and the other gone (since I ate half of it, it seems they decided there was no point in cooking and returning the rest). The mashed potatoes were inedible by that point. I finished the chop, paid my bill and left with the resolve never to return. Since I ate less than half my meal, I had some cheese and crackers when I got home.

3  Thank jim99918