“Very welcoming and pleasant stay”

167 Water Bed and Breakfast
167 Water Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Newburyport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Last week, I stayed with my 8-year old son at 167 Water B&B, before heading to Plum Island to watch birds, look for shells and enjoy a mother-and-son day (without his three sisters trailing along). Our stay with Anne and Chuck was very pleasant! We received a warm and very friendly welcome, a nice spacious room with a good bed, and a delicious breakfast with fresh fruits. And both my son and I loved the African art that decorates the whole house. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you very much for you nice review. We hope you will come stay again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had a tremendous weekend away at 167 Water. Chuck & Anne were gracious, helpful, knowledgeable, and accomodating - and they also made a hearty, delicious breakfast, with lots of great options to choose from. Our room was well-kept and within a beautifully decorated house, with a gorgeous garden in the backyard. The location was good, a 10 minute walk from all the sights of downtown Newburyport. It was a great weekend and I look forward to repeating it soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
chuckanzie, Owner at 167 Water Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Wonderful B&B. Chuck & Ann were great hosts. We learned a lot from them about their travels & work in Africa. The B&B is filled with fantastic African Art. We stayed in the Bamako room which is in the front of the house on the 2nd floor. Incredibly comfortable bed. It would be great if they added a standing lamp next to the easy chair for reading. The shared bath worked out better than I thought. Great water pressure for the shower. I do wish they would get a more powerful hairdryer though. The base floor has a great sun room with comfy couch, table & chairs. Stepping out from the sliding glass door you enter the beautiful garden. There is parking for 1 car per room behind the garden. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Both rooms are great & both are decorated with African Art. The Bamako Room overlooks the stree...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your nice words and feedback. We have put a reading lamp into the room next to the arm chair, and have put a higher power hair dryer in the bathroom. Both are great ideas!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Chuck and Anne made themselves very available and helpful. The B and B is near a charming area to walk and an easy walk to the center. I felt very at home there and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your nice words. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Seriously, the view out the back is of a water treatment facility (not exactly what I imagined when they said water view). The owners are very nice, former peace corp folks, but I found their views on Africa and Africans disturbingly colonial-sounding, though I'm sure they mean well. Newburyport, on the other hand, is simply lovely, and the Indian restaurant in town is great.

Room Tip: Rooms advertised with water view have a view of a water treatment facility, which is not silent or p...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Swanji

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, the water treatment plant is behind the house. As it is the clean pool, it is often filled with a variety ducks or gulls. It also allows a great view of the river.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Chuck and Anne are wonderful hosts - picked me up where I was dropped off in Newburyport and took me to 167! I had a wonderful night sleep in the Sorrento room, overlooking the water in back. It was my second stay; the water plant in back has been upgraded and now I just think of it as part of the improving ecology of our nation's infrastructure! As another reviewer noted, it's like staying with family - but without intrusions on solitude. (Except for sharing the bathroom, but it really wasn't a problem.)
I, too, really appreciated the breakfast; a complete choice of foods I like to start my day with, from assortment of fresh berries/grapefruit, juice to cereals to eggs to English Muffins. I was sorry to have missed a treat I'd enjoyed the first visit - and only because I wasn't staying long enough: a full lobster dinner with Chuck & Anne, complete with corn and steamed clams, - all DELICIOUS. If you plan a stay, I suggest trying to coordinate this part if you can!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed five nights. It's a charming home with nice, comfortable rooms. Anne and Chuck are very hospitable and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We loved the quaintness of Newburyport as well as the beauty of Plum Island - not to mention the seafood! We bought a couple of huge steamed lobsters at the grocery store along with some sides(per Anne & Chuck's suggestion). Anne set a lovely table for us in the patio room and we had a great inexpensive lobster dinner!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Starshell9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Compass Rose Inn
Compass Rose Inn
#1 of 7 in Newburyport

Been to 167 Water Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!