“Perfect Newburyport get away! A great birthday celebration”

Essex Street Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Newburyport get away! A great birthday celebration”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friends and I went to Newburyport to celebrate my cousin Lisas' birthday..she was visiting from VA.

She had a fabulous time visiting from VA...(3 fun filled days in historic and beautiful Newburyport with great friends)
Location was excellent and within walking distance to all the great Newburyport restaurants, shops and of course....the waterfront..
We loved the suite we rented because we had a fabulous rooftop deck...
We went to the beach during the day at Plum Island...went out to dinner and walked around and then looked forward to hanging out on the deck that evening..The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed the weekend!
Here is a breakdown of the pros and cons- I am only listing one con...I really had to think long and hard to come up with one because our stay was so wonderful
PROS
1-Staff- In one word AWESOME
Kathy , the Manager, is amazing. From start to finish she made sure our stay would be wonderful...From the first phone call I made to the inn- booking an awesome suite with rooftop deck- making sure all the details were taken care of with booking so check in was painless
Mark- He checked us in when we arrived. He was very friendly and made us feel welcome!
The staff working other shift were always friendly and willing to help if needed.
2-Rooms- The King suite was awesome...super comfortable plushtop beds and this room included a jacuzzi too..the deck was off of the bedroom. ( I liked using the cards to access the rooms versus using a key...very easy! )
The bathroom had good lighting (necessary for girls getting ready ..right!)

The kitchenette on first floor had stove/fridge which was great to have..the living room had pullout big couch that slept 2 comfortably ..

3-Location- Essex street is right off of State Street....you are literally in the heart of Newburyport and steps away from awesome restaurants and bars...and a nice walk to the waterfront... The beach (plum island) is only a few miles away by car..or if you are adventurous you could bike there.;....next time!

We enjoyed walking around and all the fun shops...
We loved Brine Restaurant... (awesome seafood..very different and yummy entrees such as fried oysters...salsa verda and with bacon- sounds bad - its so delicious people!)
Plum Island grill (you have to drive there..but its great after the beach)- great salads and
fish dinners...fun deck for cocktail hour
Cafe Sienna,Newburyport- Awesome capuccinos to fuel your shopping day :)

4- Price- very reasonable for really higher end property. I would stay there again in a heartbeat..

5- Amenities- They serve a continental breakfast (coffee/juice/tea/muffins/bagels/yogurt/cereal). This was available in the front lobby every morning.
We got tray with coffee and yogurt/muffin that we brought to our deck every morning.- so nice!
We also got coffee (keurig) to go which was great!
We didn't really want heavy omelettes / eggs for breakfast ..this was perfect
Plus..if you really want a big breakfast plenty of restaurants in walking distance
There is computer I believe available at lobby..but we didn't use this

6- Parking- There is parking behind property but its kind of a small lot. There is plenty of parking on the street which is what I did

CONS- Only con- No umbrella on the deck...but only really needed it because it was kind of hot both mornings we were there... That is it for cons

So if you are looking for awesome get away with friends and/or family I suggest the Essex Street Inn and Suites It is also a great place to stay if you are in town for wedding..we saw alot of people dressed up that looked like they were going to event! ...

I am from the Boston area..however if you were out of towner..this is the perfect place to stay to get to know Newburyport..the location is amazing

Room Tip: Loved the suite with rooftop deck! great to relax at the beginning and end of your day...beautiful...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
WOW! Thank you Bostonnurse for this review. We are glad you and your friends enjoyed our Inn and our location. We will definitely see what we can do about getting umbrella's .

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to post this review!

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I visited Newburyport for the first time last week and stayed at the Essex Street Inn. I will definitely be staying there again. The inn is literally steps away from the heart of Newburyport and is convenient to everything. I stayed in a room right next to the front door of one of the three buildings, so I heard people as they came and went, but otherwise the inn was very quiet. Never heard people once they got in their room, and I am a light sleeper. The room wasn't lavishly furnished, but I wasn't in Newburyport to hang in my room. The bed was very comfortable. The continental breakfast was what you'd expect: muffins, bagels, toast, cereal, juice, instant oatmeal, bananas, coffee/tea. I am a runner, and it was great to be able to walk out the front door and either run through the streets of Newburyport and check out the architecture or head down the street, across the Merrimack River bridge and get on the rails-to-trails path that went through the great marshes. The Essex Street Inn was the perfect spot to stay in Newburport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We thank this guest for there recent stay and taking the time to post this GREAT review about our inn and the area.
We hope they will come stay with us again soon!

Essex Street Inn
Trinity, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great place to stay. Staff is friendly and helpful. Location was superb and within within walking distance to restaurants and shops. We stayed in a two story suite with a living room area that had a pull out couch. It made for a great place to relax. Will stay again if I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are pleased this recent guest enjoyed there stay and room accommodations. We thank them for this wonderful review and look forward to their return in the future.

Sandwich, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed there for just one night, but would be happy to book it for a week. Great room, fabulous location, and nice staff. Easy walk to all that you would need or want while there. Love Newburyport so hope to get back again soon and hope they have a room for me!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you Sue for your raveing review.
Anytime you want to come see us.. Just give us a call or send us an e-mail. We will always try to have a room with your name on it.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer,

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The location is great. The staff was helpful. The Inn is pretty worn down. Maybe it was just our room, but it could have been cleaner. The alarm clock was so caked with dirt we did not use, the cord on the white hair dryer was was brown because it was so dirty. Our bed squeaked all night, every time one of us rolled over we both woke up. We did not expect five star but did expect more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you to this recent guest for staying with us and taking the time to post this review. We do our best to make any major updates ( ie; painting) to our rooms and common areas during our off season. Any emergency maintenance or update issues are taken care of immediately.
We at the Essex Street Inn pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and cleanliness of our rooms.
Unfortunately we have recently been getting complaints in regards to the cleanliness of our rooms. I have made a strict point to discuss and share these issues with our housekeeping supervisor and staff. They assure me that they will take more care.

Manager

I did receive a feedback survey from this guest and have since asked maintenance to fix the sweaky bed.
Colorado
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This isn't usually what I think of when I think of a bed and breakfast, but I enjoyed my stay. I loved the old building, (it was a stable at one time, but that burned down years ago), and I loved the history in this historic city.

What we liked most about this place was the price and the location. They have the best price in the area, and they are centrally located within walking distance to just about anything you want to see in central Newburyport, including a number of excellent dining options, and lots of history.

Our room was small, it didn't have a closet, and it was a little rough around the edges, but that's what I expect from a bed and breakfast. The bed was comfortable, the water got me clean, and there was no problem at all with outside noise, either from the street or from other guests.

I don't know what happened with other people, but we found the service to be friendly, accommodating, and exceptional. No problems there at all. The Continental Breakfast was what you would expect, except I liked the added luxury of Keurig "individual" gourmet coffees instead of a pot of whatever. I did not, however, care for the apples at the breakfast. They were "mealy" instead of crisp. Also, when you use the coffee maker to get hot water for your instant oatmeal, don't used the hot water button. Instead, just set the brew at 4 oz without a coffee cartridge in it, and it will give plenty of good, hot water to make your oatmeal perfect.

For me, I loved the value of this place, as well as its location, and the impeccable service. For those who did not receive the same, I am sorry. I recommend this place to anyone traveling in the area, and, too, will stay here again next time I am in town.

Room Tip: It's a long way up to the third floor, but it is very quiet up there. Worth the walk if you nee...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ovolacto
Thank you to this guest for posting this wonderful and honest review.

3rd floor rooms can tend to be a bit small and with no elevator access staff is more than happy to assist anyone needing assistance with luggage up their.

We do get our fruit and other items for our contiential breakfst delived fresh twice weekly.

We are glad that over all they enjoyed there stay and will reccomend us.

We hope to see you again soon,

Bryant Pond
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Having operated a bed and breakfast in the past, I am aware that occasional slip-ups occur that have a negative effect on a guest's visit. However, these slip-ups should be minor and the result of an oversight (e.g., a forgotten wash cloth) not indicative of chronic carelessness of neglect, nor should the response be formulaic to the point of insincerity.

Our room had two double beds, the mattresses of which were well past their useful life in a busy inn. Both had deep craters in the center and one creaked and popped so loudly I was awakened thinking there were fireworks outside. When made aware of the situation, the management's response was, "The beds in 206 are only 4 years old. The guests who checkout of this room the morning of your arrival actually stated at check out that there room was comfortable. We did check the beds and they are in good condition." In other words, after 4 years the beds are still more or less in one piece so what's your problem?

We also mentioned the need for a thorough cleaning specifically citing mold on the shower curtain. The management's response was non-committal, "I have spoken to the chambermaids and our housekeeping supervisor about the importance of remembering to wipe down all door knobs, light fixtures, etc with disinfectant and change shower curtains between guest stays. We apologize if this was overlooked in the case of your stay." Again, a missing wash cloth, fine. Failure to thoroughly clean the room, inexcusable.

Finally, the circuit breaker panel had no cover. Not only is this unsightly, it is also most likely a violation of the electrical code. When made aware of it, the response was again less than concerned, "We have consulted maintenance to put a cover on the electrical panel."

For all of this there was only one generic apology, "We apologize for the inconveniences you incurred during your stay." Travelers who take the time to read the management responses to complaints will notice a remarkable sameness and lack of real concern. Our request for consideration of at least a partial refund was met with silence.

The furnishings of the room were spartan at best. There were the two previously noted worn out beds, a table with a lamp and clock between them, one chair, and a rather tired looking fake antique amoire with a television in it (the remote did not work well).

I will grant that the location of the inn is superb and the neighborhood is quiet. I would have given two stars but for the faux concern of the management. For close to $200, travelers would be well advised to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SailorBear
Infoessexstreetinn, Manager at Essex Street Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I have been the manager here at the Essex Street Inn for over 5 years. I take my job and the comfort of our guests very seriously. I did receive a personal e-mail from this guest in regards to their past stay after departure.
After receiving her e-mail. I did personally go to the room and check the beds. After checking them did find that the mattresses and frames on both beds are in good condition, and did mention in my response that the previous guests who had checked out this room the day before told me upon departure that they had a comfortable stay.
I also apologized for the oversights to the cleanliness of this room and did as bring all the issues she mentioned to the attention of our housekeeping supervisor, and the housekeeper who serviced this room prior to her arrival. If they needed extra washcloths or any other supplies our staff would have been more than happy to provide this for them.
I have also brought all other issues she reffered to the attention of maintenance.

Since this guest departed we have had multiple guests stay in this room and all have been satisfied.
Regards,
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
#2 of 2 in Amesbury
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#3 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Essex Street Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!