“Elegant, Comfortable, A Lovely Stay”
Review of Compass Rose Inn

Compass Rose Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Newburyport B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in January; my first visit to the Inn, her third or fourth. I was first struck by the stunning restoration work, from the woodwork, color selections, etc. down to the smallest details. Every room was just beautiful! But even more important was how incredibly friendly and helpful Inn owner Gloria was. From revealing what the locals' favorite restaurant was, to the best knitting store in the town, and an update on bird watching on Plum Island (a snowy owl had been sighted several times in recent days). Breakfast was great, and the room/suite was spacious, comfy and delightful with a working fireplace (not gas!). The convenient downtown location meant we could park the car for the weekend and walk virtually everywhere. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be equally delightful.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We live in Harvard, MA and were meeting friends from North Andover at "10 Center" in Newburyport for dinner. Since it was a beautiful March weekend we decided to plan to overnight and picked Compass Rose off the internet. Wow, what a great surprise. Our spacious 3rd floor suite was beautiful, with a "rooftop" harbor view and a fireplaced "living room" where we hosted our friends before dinner for wine and Italian specialties from Joppa Fine Foods a couple of blocks down. The bed was very comfortable, and the bath and dressing area were well laid out with every amenity including makeup mirror, towel heater etc. Breakfast was very good. Best of all, the restaurant (which was also very good) was across the street and everything in Newburyport was just a block or two away. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Seem to be 2 rooms per floor. 3rd floor room #4 had the vista, which you can view through oversized...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barry G
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We recently stayed here from February 11-18th and we loved our first time experience at a Bed and Breakfast. Gloria was so nice and made our stay very special. The morning breakfast was very good and she made us feel like we were at home. We will definitely keep this place in mind when we come back to visit the area. Close to restaurants and shopping, all within walking distance. Large rooms and very clean. May have spoiled me from going to a hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I just returned from my second visit to the Compass Rose Inn and found it just as comfortable as the first. The location cannot be beat as it is within walking distance from everything, the rooms are large, well equipped and very comfortable and best of all very reasonable. Great innkeepers and being a hotel owner myself I know what it takes.
I do not normally choose small B&Bs for overnight trips preferring larger hotels but this does not feel like a stuffy B&B where you can hear your neighbors sneeze. I would rate their rooms as good as any four star hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for accommodations in Newburyport.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Compass Rose many times over the last 3/4 years. The comfort of being able to walk everywhere, as well as having an oversized suite initially caught our interest. Newburyport is often our destination when we look for a quick getaway to "recharge" and there is no where that compares to the comfort we find at the Compass Rose.
Gloria and Kevin do everything in thier power to make you comfortable without intruding on your privacy. We no longer wonder where we should stay, we just set the date and call Gloria!
Immaculate, luxurious, great breakfast, great location, even a fireplace! Winter or Summer this is the place to stay if you want the full Newburyport experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I am a business traveler who has had had enough with hotels, so I try and stay at B&B when I can. This one was well equipped (Wifi was a bit slow but OK) hosts were great and room was nice and warm – wouldn’t harm to add a cake next to the tea and coffee :)
All in all – highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband surprised me with a New Years night at The Compass Rose. I LOVED it and so did he! Close to town, relaxing atmosphere, friendly inn keepers, great breakfast, every amenity you could want, beautiful, meticulously decorated and maintained suites (and I am fussy!) - what more could anyone ask for! I am an "Inn person" and have stayed at many, many Inns all over New England and the South - the Compass Rose is one of my all time favorites. In fact it is so wonderful you converted my "prefer a hotel" husband into an Inn person too! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel
#5 of 41 in Hampton
Clark Currier Inn
Clark Currier Inn
#2 of 6 in Newburyport

Been to Compass Rose Inn? Share your experiences!