“Friday night dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Friday night dinner”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Was visiting Newburyport and arrived on a Friday night. The restaurant is directly across the street from the Compass Rose Inn were we stayed. Headed over for an early meal. The hostess led us through the bar area which looked inviting and upstairs to dinner. When we got upstairs there was another bar area. As it was early we were one of only 2 tables. Our waiter came over and was attentive, but allowed us to take our time. He made excellent recommendations on our drinks and food. We enjoyed each part of our meal. The taters with truffle oil are so simple but so tasty. I had the scallops and bacon which was really scallops with pork belly. It was very good. My dining mate had the gnocchi which was good and plentiful.
For dessert we had the homemade cookie which comes out in its own cast iron pan... BEWARE it is super hot as it just came out of oven. My only complaint there was no handle cover on the pan and my arm barely glanced by it and I got a small burn.
Otherwise we had a delightful evening and I would recommend.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Mother's Day brunch mistake”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our server, Joe, was fantastic for my Mother's Day Brunch. The food on the other hand, was below average. Nothing had any flavor! Caesar salad, horseradish sauce for prime rib, hollandaise for the Eggs Benedict, pecan pie. Speaking of the Eggs Benedict, neither of us could cut through the English muffin. They promptly brought out a new tray of Eggs Benedict. Their customer service was great, too bad the product was so poor. Only one thing was exceptional, the Blue Point oysters from Connecticut. Extremely fresh. With a $42/person price tag, there was not enough on the menu to warrant that price, even if the food had been good! Maybe they just don't do a good job with buffets!!

1 Thank SandyByTheSeashore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First time”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Expected a little more, my risotto was uncooked and the fish did not match the risotto, too blend of a taste

Newburyport
“Great food, uncomfortable service”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at the pub bar. We were looking for a cozy spot to have a good burger and cold drink after a long work week.We found cozy upon entering the downstairs pub!! The ambiance was perfect!! We decided to sit at the bar. The bartender(don't know the name, she never introduced herself) greeted us with a very akward stare. We ordered a local draft beer and she quickly retrieved them. Again, looking at us as if we didn't belong here! We thought maybe it was because we were in jeans, however we noticed others dressed the same so decided to stay. We ordered burgers and not only were the burgers fantastic, they have found a way to make french fries taste amazing! Mine could have been cooked more but I wasn't comfortable relaying this to the bartender who didn't seem to notice I only ate around the edges. Had she asked how everything was I would have had it cooked a little more. My hubby claims it's the best burger he's ever had!! We would have loved to hung out with cappucino and dessert but decided to go elsewhere. The atmosphere with the fireplaces and candles aglow in a beautiful building was amazing, however we would have prefered a friendly bartender who was not looking down her nose at us! We will give it another try, in hopes she was having a bad day.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fabulous Filet!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had one of the best Filet's I have ever eaten here. The ceasar salad was also fabulous. Loved the food!!!

Visited September 2012