“Beautiful setting”

Black Cow Tap & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Cow Tap & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 105 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2015

We stopped for lunch on a cold January day. The clam chowder was delicious with tender clams. I had a chicken breast sandwich which was there special of the day and it was cooked perfectly as were the onion strings. My husband had a burger which he stayed was flovorful and cooked just right he also loved the local beer on tap as I enjoyed the wonderful Bloody Mary special spicy and delicious! The view was amazing from every window. Great place

Reviewed December 31, 2014

Location was great, wait time was so little, atmosphere was great, prices were great, food was the best. Glad we chose The Blackcow instead of Michaels.

Reviewed December 21, 2014

Newburyport is obviously home to many, many wealthy individuals and has continued over the last decade to keep producing fantastic dining opportunities. Even though the avg income of its residents is approx 20% higher then most of MA, it still provides incredible dining experiences like the Black Cow with very reasonable pricing of its menu items.
If you stop in on a blustery day like I do with my kids for a cup of chowdah’ (6 cup/7 bowl) you will find your getting a delicious pick me up to whatever adventures you may be doing around town and well worth your hard earned money. It can be a busy place during the weekends and holidays and you can often expect a wait, but usually there is a spot at the bar to get you going. Do yourself a favor and call ahead if you know you plan on visiting the Port. You’ll find the Black Angus NY Strip Steak (29) to be an incredible option if you’re a beef eater just do not have it over cooked and kill it. I have to say that my son is a huge fan of the Grilled Salmon (26) and he literally devours it.
They also have a pub style section of their menu which I have had many of the choices off of that over the years. Each time I was never disappointed with what I was severed. This brings me to service. They do their best even during the busiest of times to take care of you and since we have been there in groups of 2 and 25 I feel confident enough to say this. We have never had an issue with the staff. I can’t say they are not without their short comings, but we have never had an issue weather it’s a large family gathering or a company Christmas dinner. The location is one that you will enjoy and if you have friends or family from out of town it is certainly going to leave an impression on them. The interior is new, clean, and inviting to say the least. They have a great management style of making everyone feel like they are the only customer and not just cattle to be herded through a dining experience.
So if you’re in the Port loosen the purse strings and give it a try. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Reviewed December 2, 2014 via mobile

Hadn't eaten at this location in about 5 years and was presently surprised by the updated menu and atmosphere. The menu is more modern and has lots of " bar food" options

Reviewed December 2, 2014

Food is generally very good, though the menu never seems to change and I don't think it is terribly creative or varied. Its a little pricey for what it is in my opinion, but the location and view are superb. They have a decent wine list, but again, a little pricey. They have a nice bar area that is slightly upscale and they have a fireplace that is nice if you can get a high-top next to it. I don't think I have ever sat in the dining area, but it is sortof open concept as the bar flows right into it. This is my first pick in Newburyport, mainly for the view combined with a good burger or steak tip salad.