“Lunch on the water”

Black Cow Tap & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Cow Tap & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 103 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed lunch at the Black Cow on July 4th on their deck. Fortunately there was a fan to circulate the hot (90s+) air. I would have liked to have more choices for lunch. I wound up with a Cesar Salad with chicken which was okay. I'd try the restaurant again and maybe the dinner menu has more options. The service was very good and it had a nice feel to the place.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Went on a Friday afternoon for lunch and sat in the outdoor area. The view was very nice and we had the added bonus of a cloudy day turning sunny. My friend and I ordered salads-the "BLT salad" (trying to be good to some degree). We substituted the dressing for something lighter and to avoid dairy (I'm allergic). Both salads came with croutons soaked in butter and sprinkled with cheese. Didn't I say I have a dairy allergy? The salads were so small and skimpy that I was still hungry, so I ordered something else from the menu. The shrimp cocktail was delicious, plump, large, well-seasoned shrimp, but only 3 of them, for $13!! Outrageous! and there was this pile of flat-leaf parsley on the plate--took up half the plate-I think it was camouflage to make the plate look more full. The burgers and fried fish we saw on other diners' tables looked fabulous but we were trying to go the healthy route. Service was average. This place was a rip-off.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Having had several successful visits here, we decided a return evaluation for lunch. The lunch menu was diverse with friendly prices. My wife and I choose the fish and chips.
The server brought lunch promptly. Portions were quite adequate and well prepared. In fact, in April we dined at one of London's premier fish and chips palaces (The Seashell, Lisson Grove). The fish at Black Cow equaled or surpassed our British lunch.
The chips, well one must understand we are accustomed to West Flanders frittes, have yet to discover its equal in the US. But what we had were well done potatoes.
Our server was personable, hard working, and timely; a well eduacted fellow.
So we are pleased with our choice. The view over the river is entertaining.
The Black Cow..... yes

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Menu is pricey, limited and small-however the food was great. It was nice to sit out on the deck and overlook the water.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stopped in on the way back to Mass from Maine. We had been to the Black Cow before and enjoyed ourselves. This time we were surprised to find a nice outdoor seating area and bar. Because we went at a time between lunch and dinner we were told that there was a different menu that we could order from. That was fine until we saw the "pub menu", which did not offer many options. Fine. We found something to order. Once we ordered we soon noticed that others around us were being served items that weren't even supposedly offered at that time. Very strange but okay. We started with an appetizer of calamari, which was served with a yummy dipping sauce, and ordered some drinks. For my entree I ordered the walnut salad and my husband had a cheeseburger, which looked good. However, when my salad arrived i noticed that the plate it was on was hot. Half of the salad had wilted by the time i got it. I picked out the bad pieces and ate some of the "good pieces" until i was aggravated from being so hungry and just wanted the bill. My husband was the one that caught the waited at a table next to us and told him about the salad. The waiter was nice enough and offered to get the manager but by then i just wanted to get out of there and get something else to eat. I worked in hospitality for a number of years and know how difficult it can be. That's why I don't usually complain about little things. But when you have had a long week and are looking to have some good food and unwind while looking at a relaxing picturesque view, the little things will bother you. We may have just caught them on an off day but i probably would order something else if i were to go back, That's all.