“Night Out”

Agave Mexican Bistro
Ranked #11 of 99 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
“Night Out”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Everything here was so delicious, and the atmosphere was nice. I especially loved there salad, I can't recall the name, but it had mangos, shrimp, some other stuff and an avocado dressing on top. I don't even like avocado, but the salad was delicious.

I also ordered burritos, one beef and one chicken, I normally prefer beef, but the chicken burrito was delicious and much better than the beef burrito. I think this is my new favorite Mexican place.

Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Anastasia,

I am so happy you liked our Shrimp and Avocado Salad, it is a big hit especially in the summertime! It's very light and healthy with a fantastic honey-lime dressing that we make ourselves. I am Dawn the owner and I really appreciate the feedback. While summer is always our busiest season, we are very lucky to enjoy a delightful clientele year round. Come see us again soon and be sure to say hi!

Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Mexican Food”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Although I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, I thought it was average. I also think it is over priced for the food you get. Drinks (margarita's) are tasty too, but over priced in my mind. I would probably go back, but expect that I'll be paying more than what the food is worth. A nice atmosphere in the down town Newburyport area, and when the weather is good, they open up the front to the air.

Visited August 2013
Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Hi KathyD,

Thank you for giving our restaurant a try and sorry that you found your food less than impressive. I am Dawn McCandless the owner and I always want every customer to have a great experience. I also take great pride in not only using the best ingredients but also by making the environment very comfortable and inviting. Please, next time you are in ask for me and I would be happy to help you pick out something that you might enjoy more!

Ipswich
“Margaritas and Appetizers”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I really do enjoy a special trip to Agave for a taste of their wonderful margaritas, along with their excellent guacamole and an order of Taquitos. Great and friendly wait staff and bartenders and a very comfortable atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014
Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi stoneystone68,

Thanks so much for the wonderful review and for your continued business! I am Dawn McCandless, the proprietor of Agave Mexican Bistro and Agave Mexican Bistro Dos in Portsmouth. Sounds like you had great food and great service, both of which are very important to me. We could not be in business for 10+ years without the support of customers like you. Please say hi next time you are in!

“Pretty good food”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This place is not bad. It is a high end Mexican restaurant so the prices are slightly elevated. I will admit that the portions are enormous, so you can easily get 2 good size meals out of most dishes. I wasn't blown away by the flavor of the food and the sauces, I thought is was just average. I also didn't think the salsa was exceptional, but I prefer the fresher flavored, hotter puree salsa and this one was more smoky. My wife really liked the prickly pear margarita. I thought the servers were great, very quick and efficient and they obviously work together as a team which means good management. It is worth going if you are in the mood and in Newburyport, it is worth going but I wouldn't go out of your way.

• Visited June 2014
Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi VA-beer,

Thanks so much for coming to my restaurant. As the proprietor of Agave, I am sorry you weren't "blown away" but hopefully you will give us another try. I have worked on the recipes trying to perfect them over the 10+ years that we have been in business, but maybe next time try a different dish. Feel free to ask for me if I am in or ask one of our well trained staff to help make a recommendation based upon your tastes, we are happy to help!

Dawn McCandless
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We love the atmosphere- fun, and you can eat outside! Definitely good food and LOVE the Fish Tacos - a must try! Great drinks too!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank 32DebL
Dawn M, Owner at Agave Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi 32DebL in Newburyport,

This is Dawn McCandless, the proprietor of Agave and we are delighted that you love our restaurant and especially the fish tacos, my personal favorite as well! If you have not tried it yet, next time get the ceviche - a big hit with fish lovers everywhere!

Thank you for your business and kind words,