“Good location with decent enough food.”

Agave Mexican Bistro
Ranked #11 of 99 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Portsmouth
“Good location with decent enough food.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited Agave in Newburyport after a Sunday morning of shopping. Entered through the front door and were not met by a greeter we waited for a couple of mins before the bar tender ( who seemed busy) went out of his way to offer us a seat near the bar. Service was great in the bar/lounge area and my glass was never empty for too long. Great selection of drinks on the menu including some nice tap beers if cocktails isn't your thing.
We started with the nacho's which were amazing! Homemade chips with salsa, covered in Guacamole, cheese and beans. We ordered the half nacho's and were glad we did as the portion was more than enough for two. My main course wasn't as spectacular I ordered the chicken burrito which was very doughy and the shredded chicken in the middle gave it a very microwave meal feel.
Overall I enjoyed the hour we spent in the restaurant! If its high quality Mexican food your after then this isn't the place but if your looking to have fun with friends over a couple of drinks and have some decent priced food then def keep it in mind.

• Visited March 2013

Boston, MA
“Good Mexican food”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stopped in for lunch with friends and enjoyed the food. They make an excellent house salad, full of veggies with slices of mango. I added a side of black beans and a side of guacamole, which made for a great lunch. The sides were on the pricey side...almost $4 each. My friends enjoyed their tacos. Attentive, friendly service and nice atmosphere...definitely worth a visit while in Newburyport!

• Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of my favorite restaurants in Newburyport”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Agave is without a doubt one of my favorite restaurants in a city that is full of great restaurants. This place is always packed, and there is a reason for that!

The menu offers a lot of different choices, and each one is tasty and has authentic Mexican tastes (as far as I can tell anyway; I've had a lot of Mexican food, some of it in different areas of Mexico, but I can't claim to be an expert...). But yeah, their food is really good. Try their queso with chorizo, which always makes me really happy. The tacos and enchiladas are really good too, as are their salads. The portions are huge, so I always get to take some home for later. Their desserts are really good, and they have a huge selection of tequila.

Their dining area is spread out over three different levels, the top one having a pretty nice bar. This place does tend to get pretty noisy during the week-ends, but I've never found it to be unbearable.

Service tends to be quick and attentive. Once in a very rare while I get a server who borders on surly, but I never mind since they're efficient even if they refuse to crack a smile.

I highly recommend this place. Good food, good atmosphere, reasonable prices. (Just a note: most locals would recommend this place too, so I would suggest making reservations so you don't end up waiting for a table for an hour. If you do have to wait though, it'll be worth it!)

• Visited February 2013
Salem, New Hampshire
“A wonderful mexican bistro in Newburyport”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and 5 year old boy visited Agave on a Saturday eveing. We arrived around 730PM and were seated within 5 mintues. Our table was located on the 2nd level behind the "magic curtain" as my son would say. The decour was pretty cool with some cool little lamps above the table and classic mexican pictures around.

The food was nice and hot and my steak burritos were delicious. I especially loved the rice and refried beans. I thought they were very authentic and tasted great. A little spicy but not to spicy. Just enough.

It is winter so all the shops in Newburyport was closed but it is a different atmosphere in the summer. Its a classic little southern ocean town.

I recommend a stop at this bitro when you have a craving for Mexican food. I have nothing negative to say :-)

Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Wonderful authentic food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant! I recommend the queso with chorizo. Share between two or more, it's epic. Highly recommend booking a table as this place is very popular or you might have to wait a while (45 mins to an hour plus) for a table at dinner. They also do breakfast at the weekends