“It was ok, maybe our setting impacted one of the meals?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Starboard Galley Restaurant

Starboard Galley Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 97 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“It was ok, maybe our setting impacted one of the meals?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We got a groupon to have lunch in the Newburyport lighthouse, this was the only dining option available. My wife's steak was very overcooked but my haddock was really good. Our server was fantastic, bringing our food up to us in the top of the lighthouse right next to the restaurant. The scallops in bacon were very good too.

Visited May 2014

Newburyport, Massachusetts
“A fine and reliable old standby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Going to the Starboard on my first evening in Newburyport is as natural to me as passing by the Mall--it is just part of being home. The style and decor never changes--don't ask miracles-- and the crowd at the bar may be more or less rowdy, given the sports season.. However, the food is always reliably fresh and excellent. Lobster, generally high on my list, is great as hot boiled (twin or single) or a lobster roll--forget the fries and ask for onion rings. My husband loves the lazy man's lobser. All the fried fish is the best in town--crisp, not greasy and abundant. A mixed platter of clams and shrimps is a winner. The lobster chowder, available only on Monday, is my husband's favorite, but the clam chowder is also wonderful, especially in the sourdough bread bowl. To avoid fried things, try the swordfish kebabs--perfectly cooked, thick, delicious and juicy with peppers and onions.
I promise, it is not haut cuisine but just the nicest, homiest place to go after a long trip or on a short visit. Service is a bit slap-dash, but the staff are always nice and working hard.
We live in France now, where we have wonderful food, but Starboard does not disappoint.

• Visited March 2014
Milford, New Hampshire
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

After a day of birdwatching on Plum Island, my companion and I had an early dinner at Starboard Galley. We just about had the place to ourselves. We sat by a window which overlooked the Merrimack River. An outdoor seating area is surely popular in better weather. Our server was very pleasant and attentive, ready to refill coffee cups and water glasses. We both ordered a special of the day: lobster pie, served with a salad and a choice of potato. The meals came to our table very promptly. My baked potato was baked just right. My companion declared her fries to be really good. The salad was crisp and generous. The lobster pie was delicious, although it was evident that the lobster wasn't freshly cooked, had probably been cooked, frozen, and then thawed. This was a lovely way to close a lovely day by the sea.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Linda H
Gary G, Manager at Starboard Galley Restaurant, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Linda H,

Thank you for the wonderful review of the Starboard Galley. We are a family owned restaurant that has had the pleasure of doing business in Newburyport for over 35 years. I hope you stop by again when in the area enjoying all Newburyport has to offer. If you do, please ask for Gary so I can thank you in person.

Thanks,
Gary
Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

For many years I looked forward to visiting this restaurant. The best thing I can say about it is that it was very disappointing. The service and the food lacked everything we expected. We crossed this one off of our list.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boston13twin
Gary G, Manager at Starboard Galley Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Boston13twin,
I am sorry you were disappointed when you came to dine with us back in September. We are a family owned restaurant that has had the honor of being in business in Newburyport for 36 years. Please allow us the opportunity to make your dining experience right. If you ever are in town again, please stop in and ask for Gary when you arrive. I will try to make your dining experience the way it should have been the first time.
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Owner is a real joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

It was a busy night and I ordered the house special Steak tips and shrimp I asked for the steak med and I kid u not 1 was raw then the next one was well done. Lets not even talk about my friends meal yes that bad. I saw the owner and talked to him he Blamed it on how busy it was , really. He asked me to come see him before we left. I saw him and he tried to give me a 20$ gift card what a slap in the face, our meals where 80$$ plus tip. I told him where he could put his 20$ card and will never go back and being a local will tell ever1 I know about how bad it was.

• Visited December 2013