“It's Okay”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have been to The Grog a couple of times. It's got lots of atmosphere, especially in the winter with the fireplaces going. The food is average. I prefer to sit in the bar area, because it is hopping at night with locals. Both times I had a burger and it was ok, nothing special.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I'm a local so I've tried them all. The Grog offers a large capacity restaurant (two dining floors plus a club in the basement) and food that is good and priced right. The atmosphere is warm and cozy, especially on a dismall or cold day. The menu has a good range of options and there is always a blackboard special or two. Warning: the room where the bar is located is the noisiest. It's not fancy inside but it has character. I like that they offer 1/2 size entrees on some things and their lobster bisque is delicious. My husband likes the steak tips and lamb kabobs. I had the seafood cannolis with wild mushrooms the other night and they were yummy. I don't like that you have to ask for bread with dinner. I like the wait person to ask us if we would like bread....and when you do ask, there is always a wait for it. They "have to warm it up". I think they have those partially baked baguettes and they pop one in the oven if someone requests bread. Then they slice up little pieces of the baguette so don't expect bread to die for like the foccacia over at Not Your Average Joe's. But for what it is, it's good. But that's about all I can complain about....no wait. I thought of something else. Wait staff should be told not to remove the plates of people who have finished their food before the others. Or at the very least they should ask if it's OK. Maybe some people don't mind this but our dining companions think it is rude because it makes the other diners feel uncomfortable. But the bottom line is ......The food is good. The choices are good. The prices won't break the bank and I hope they stay that way because that's a winning formula in a town where restaurants come and go if they can't get it right or can't provide consistent quality.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Pretty conventional pub menu with great lobster roll. The clam chowder was good but a little too much broth for our visit. Definitely expect to return - very fair portion for the lobster roll.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great little bar and grill. Went on a Wednesday night and it was pretty busy. I had the fried oyster BLT and it was very good. Prices were reasonable and serivce was great. It was also open mic night, so there were a lot of locals there as well!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wonderful seafood - the best NE Clam Chowder I've ever had, and I'm from NE. Also great seared tuna appetizer, lobster roll. and baked mixed seafood entree. Killer desserts too if you still have any room left. I overate the first time I was there.