“Hometown Favorite”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were steered to Grog by a salesroom an at an athletics store, who said that's where she and her friends always go. My wife and I had a great time. The beer list is overwhelming, but it was the mussels I ordered that blew me away. Swimming in a broth of white wine, dijon mustard, and garlic, I've never had better. The atmosphere is definitely down home. We had stopped in Newburyport on a whim on our our way up to Maine, but this lunch made it an unexpected treat. Next time we're in the area, we're going back to Grog.

1  Thank Jeffrey M

Reviewed September 6, 2012

$5 dollar cover for some great music Sundays - that's a deal. Food is just so-so. Big space with different sitting areas and music downstairs.

2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Found the Grog in Newburyport by accident this weekend, found it to be a great place to eat. We were a party of six, they found us a table quickly no wait at all. The food was good, the beer selection was large. The waitstaff was nice and quick. Prices were not to high, eating area and bathrooms were clean. What more can you ask for in a pub?

1  Thank afriendofthevivamaya
Reviewed August 25, 2012

A comfortable place to sit, have a beverage and people watch. Right in the village within walking distance to the sights of the harbor. Ventured there are few times over the years and consistency was maintained to assure of a return visit.

1  Thank missjean64
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This seems to be the one place in Newburyport that offers a decent meal for a reasonable (by Newburyport standards) price.

It is borderline average, and better than Below Average Joes, but does not quite make it.

The problems are that the already somewhat limited menu has been further reduced and that they seem to not properly ensure that their teen boy waiters pay proper attention to their tables. Every aspect of our meal took unduly long.

The biggest compliment that I can provide is that they seem to finally wash glasses well enough that my soda did not taste like beer for the first time in years.

I also found the chicken sandwich to be moist and tasty.