“Excellent food and great service”
Review of Andiamo

Andiamo
Ranked #46 of 100 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington Street
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Three of us went for a celebratory dinner and have nothing but praise for the service (Heather) and the food (unknown chef). The flatbread appetizer was tasty and more than sufficient for the three of us. The hamburger was not your average lump of meat served in a bun, this was truly an experience and I would return for this again. The Jumbo Shrimp Scampi also was treated to rave reviews and two half portions went a long way. We would (and will) return.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I ordered a cucumber martini that was excellent (one of the best cocktails I have ever had). My husband and I shared a meatball flatbread that was good (crust could have been a little crispier). The butternut ravioli was delicious. I got the large portion and couldn't finish it. My husband got the bolognese and said it was good. Again it was a good size portion. The waitress was professional and very nice. The owner brought out the entrees himself. Ceiling is very low, so if you are tall watch out. Great date night!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The martini list is superb with something for everyone, as well as some local favorites. The meatball appetizer was excellent, especially with the freshly grated parmesan cheese! I also liked the fact that the Caesar salad came on a cold plate. It is the little attention to detail that sets this place apart. The chicken parm has pesto on the angel hair and is quite a generous portion. The swordfish was excellent with the risotto. didn't try desert but they looked good!

1  Thank Paul F
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'll get to the point -- service is abysmal. It's always a warning sign when it takes 10 minutes after you've been seated for someone to ask you for your drink order, and it went downhill from there. Empty glasses sat on our table for the entire meal (and with four of us sitting at a small high table, this was even more of a problem than it normally is). And then during those rare occasions when our waitress actually noticed our glasses were empty and got us new drinks, she still didn't remove all the empties. At one point my wife ordered a glass of wine, I saw the bartender pour it, and it sat on the bar for 15 minutes. After going to and from the men's room and seeing the wine still sitting there, I told the nearest "management-type" person "excuse me, I think that's my wife's wine...we ordered it about 15 minutes ago and it's been sitting on the bar," and she responded with a snippy "I don't think it's been 15 minutes," at which point I determined I would never set foot in this place again.

The only reason it gets two stars is some of the food was pretty good. I had the duck...it was good but slightly overcooked (although this was probably because the waitress failed to ask me how I'd like it cooked, so it came out medium instead of my preferred medium-rare or rare). My wife said her filet was good, although our compatriots at the table said the pork was room temperature and awful (clearly it was sitting around the kitchen for too long, keeping with the theme for the evening), and some of the shrimp in the scampi had not been deveined, which is a gross-out (and unacceptable at the not-trivial price-points here).

At the end of the evening our waitress overheard us talking about the terrible service (it was a two hour meal at this point...so slowness was also a factor), and came to the table with a surprised look on her face and apologized. This only served to annoy us even more, because given the number of times she came to the table to find four empty drink glasses (I won't get into the bread we ordered and never got), you'd think she would have had some self-awareness that she was not giving us acceptable attention. I fear this lack of introspection will only condemn others to suffer under her care in the future.

The evening ended on a perfect note, though. We went to the valet parking station and the valet was nowhere to be found. So, we went into his key box to get our car keys and left. At that point it felt like Escape from Alcatraz (we resisted the temptation to upgrade to the Caddy Escalade keys in the box).

Interestingly, I just research what "Andiamo" means in Italian, and it means "Let's go." That's exactly how we felt about halfway through our meal, so at least they got the name right.

2  Thank Andy M
dchiara, Public Relations Manager at Andiamo, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Andy, We are greatly disappointed that you had a poor experience when dining with us. We offer no excuses. We have replaced the wait staff with experienced servers and our Chef/Owner Jim Rogers has been in the kitchen attending to every detail. I have printed your review and will be reviewing it with the owner, point by point. While it is disheartening that you didn't enjoy dinner with us, please rest assured that your feedback will be taken seriously. If you would like to return to give us another chance, we would love to have you dine with us.
Deborah Chiaravalloti

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We recently went to this restaurant and what can I say? Our waiter was intrusive and rude; poured beer INTO one of our friend's plates and then just walked away (literally- no apology, no nothing- she couldn't finish her meal). He also spilled several drinks onto the table. He would get right up in your face with a loud voice, to the point of discomfort as well. The food was beyond bland; not authentic Italian in my book. Also? There were large black ants EVERYWHERE. One even climbed off of a plate onto my friend's arm. When we pointed it out to the (above mentioned) waiter, he shrugged it off and insisted that it must have come from the ceiling and not the food (I mean really, WHAT does it matter where it came from?!). As the night went on, we had more encounters with the ants- crawling up the walls, on the table, etc. We will not go there again.

If I had to pick one good thing about the place, it's the valet parking and the cheese plate.

4  Thank bella4444