“Wish it were closer to home”

Buttermilk Baking Company
Ranked #1 of 7 Dessert in Newburyport
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The sign attracted me first, with the slogan "sweet as pie" underneath. The window did not offer much of a view, which normally would make me hesitate to go inside.. But a customer was just leaving, looking very happy, and encouraged me. Inside was a case with wonderful tarts. We bought 6 different types, and all were excellent and large enough to split between two people (for taste sharing). The key lime tart was very tart, and lovely. The chocolate was a dark chocolate, not too sweet, and melted on the tongue. The pecan tart had nuts all the way to the bottom with just enough of that sweet jelly to hold it all together. The coconut cream was probably my least favorite, as the flavor was delicate compared with the others. All the crusts held together but didn't get soggy. (I admit it took us three days to eat through all the tarts we bought). Saving the best for last, the sour cherry half-pies or turnovers were the most amazing pastry I think I have ever eaten. They were definitely not that sticky overly-sweet cloying pie filling. Instead they were light and flaky and filled with real cherries. The sour of the fruit was perfectly balanced by the sweetness on the crust (large sugar crystals). Located just a couple storefronts away from State Street, please visit them often!

2  Thank natashabebe

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have loved this place through all three sets of owners; the service and the food have ALWAYS exceeded expectations.

The staff has always been super friendly and happy to engage in conversation regarding life in general, the store's former owners, and the last dinner worthy treats. One very motherly counter worker is especially chatty.

My most recent visit was to get a treat for a purposefully solo Thanksgiving dinner. I spoke to the baker's husband, who was gregarious and kind.

I chose a chocolate pecan torte, which was still fresh and moist two days later.

The iced cinnamon rolls were also very tempting, and the owner made up the 21 cents difference when I came up short on cash.

I expected the cinnamon roll to be tasty but was shocked that it tasted EXACTLY like the rolls that my grandmother used to make from scratch as a special treat for years. (She passed away in 2001.)

I had forgotten about these rolls and never thought that I would taste them again. They were also special because I remember my grandmother making hers long after her arthritis, cancer, and other health problems made literally getting out of bed tough.

As much as I loved the former owners, I hope that the current ones NEVER sell.

8  Thank MAtraveller87
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This bakery has everything. There are some season items like the ice cream sandwich which is on 2 huge chocolate chip cookie with homade vanilla ice cream (yumo) have the cut in half of 4's and split. Buy there apple pie it is heven on a fork.

3  Thank kathleen k
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'm picky when it comes to a flourless chocolate torte and they do it right. Just as the former Pralines did it seems. It's a charming place to buy any baked goods.

3  Thank bookreadermom