“Best in Newburyport”
Review of Enzo Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Enzo Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At Enzo Restaurant & Bar, our food is inspired by the rustic dishes found in the trattorias of Northern Italy. We use that inspiration to create seasonal menus that combine the best local ingredients and traditional New England recipes with those Italian flavors. At our bar, you’ll find a tempting offering of house cocktails and marvelous wines by the glass, but more importantly, you’ll find a warm welcome and great conversation!
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Heard good reports about Enzo so finally decided to take my girlfriend there. We have been to most every restaurant in Newburyport (we live there). Many are average with a few just above average. Enzo is absolutely the finest in every respect. Starts with the great atmosphere. We sat at the very comfortable bar and we were instantly greater by Andrew who recommended just the right Italian Red for our individual tastes. Brought over excellent EVOO from local importer and awesome bread. Started with bubbling fondu that rocked. I had the lasagna w/ meat sauce, she had the chick under brick. Both were incredible. Absolutely the best meal in town. Andrew had our wine glasses full all evening and was a most gracious host. The owner came by twice to make sure everything was top notch, and it was. Because we were both stuffed, to my disappointment, we skipped desert. It looked outstanding. I have a new favorite Newburyport eatery and plan to bring family and friends. Don't miss this gastric gem at the Tannery. It would be a shame if you did!!

2  Thank GeneNewburyport

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just outstanding. Everything is done just perfectly. 5 or 6 entrees, 5 or 6 appetizers, 5 whites, 5 reds---everything is perfectly prepared. Professional service. It's just a real sure thing. Want me to lend some authenticity to this review to those who think im the uncle of one of the owners? OK---the chef has an Irish name but she's really Italian;; she serves the best littlenecks north of Cape Ann but she's from Jersey--not negative enough? OK, the place is a bit noisy. How's that! This is as nice a restaurant as you will find on the Essex County/ NH coast ---period.

1  Thank Damonsmyman1027
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our third trip to Enzo, and we were as delighted this time as on our first two visits. The atmosphere is modern, upscale, but comfortable and inviting at the same time--not stuffy.

Question: How do they get the food all so piping hot, flavorful, and fresh???

We often take for granted the beauty of a piping hot meal when dining out, and Enzo doesn't disappoint in this regard. This time, we ordered a fabulous springtime salad with greens, fiddleheads, and zippy vinaigrette. The cheese (Taleggio) fondue was a delicious treat with a modern twist. The homemade pastas are delicate, fresh, and cooked to perfection. The spaghetti with clams was 2-die-4, and the lasagna (free-form) was delicious with the fresh ricotta--not your Nonna's lasagna! It was a delightful and plentiful bowl of fresh, light, broad noodles with tomatoes and two scoops of fresh ricotta. Our guest chose the effervescent smoked fish chowder, which was delicious with smoked bluefish and flounder (only one negative comment was that perhaps the flounder didn't hold up).

And just when you think we couldn't fit one more thing, we took the plunge and ordered two outrageous, sumptuous desserts--the lemon posset and the chocolate velvet. Both causing a reaction to that of a heavenly experience. We're still talking about it even now!

We didn't mention the fresh, house-made ciabatta, but we should have! Everything at Enzo exudes local, humanely-raised, and lovingly-prepared--all things we value, appreciate, and will keep us coming back for more.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Made a reservation and received a verbal confirmation. Drove forty five minutes from NH. Due to traffic arrived 12 minutes late. Watched the host stand by his post for three minutes without acknowledging us. Then when he asked us our name, told us he gave our table away. He said they had a fifteen minute rule. Once he realized he had not waited the full fifteen minutes, He couldn't take responsibility for his error but instead chose to make believe he was right. You lost a returning customer over the years. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!

3  Thank Peter S
Reviewed May 12, 2013

When we are alone, we rarely make restaurant reservations, preferring to let the last minute cravings motivate us. Thus, driving slowly through Newburyport, we passed the Enzo Restaurant and Bar, which we had never eaten at. When we entered, they told us there was an hour wait, but there were seats at the bar. My husband really loves eating at the bar, and I don't mind it, so we sat down and perused the menu. We began with the wine list which included many imported wines that I was unfamiliar with. I chose an Italian Chardonnay, Preludio No. 1, which was truly subtle and delicious. My husband had his usual dry martini. We then studied the menu, a necessary task, since my husband is highly allergic to garlic. He decided on a lobster dish with homemade pasta twists, and I had littleneck clams with homemade spaghetti. Both meals were unbelievably tasty, also subtle like my wine, with different tastes at each bite. Most importantly, everything was so fresh. On our way out, I thanked the owner of the restaurant, commenting on how light and refreshing all the dishes were. He showed me a beautifully decorated board, indicating all the local farms where the ingredients are grown. For example, the vegetables and fruits were from three local farms in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. What better way to pay tribute to local farmers than effectively using their ingredients in your recipes! Hats off to Enzo! Thus, my recommendation to all of you, and Lorenzo--dine at Enzo!

1  Thank Brenda S