“At least be honest with your customers”
Review of Enzo Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Enzo Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At Enzo Restaurant & Bar, our food is inspired by the rustic dishes found in the trattorias of Northern Italy. We use that inspiration to create seasonal menus that combine the best local ingredients and traditional New England recipes with those Italian flavors. At our bar, you’ll find a tempting offering of house cocktails and marvelous wines by the glass, but more importantly, you’ll find a warm welcome and great conversation!
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Made a reservation and received a verbal confirmation. Drove forty five minutes from NH. Due to traffic arrived 12 minutes late. Watched the host stand by his post for three minutes without acknowledging us. Then when he asked us our name, told us he gave our table away. He said they had a fifteen minute rule. Once he realized he had not waited the full fifteen minutes, He couldn't take responsibility for his error but instead chose to make believe he was right. You lost a returning customer over the years. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!

3  Thank Peter S

Reviewed May 12, 2013

When we are alone, we rarely make restaurant reservations, preferring to let the last minute cravings motivate us. Thus, driving slowly through Newburyport, we passed the Enzo Restaurant and Bar, which we had never eaten at. When we entered, they told us there was an hour wait, but there were seats at the bar. My husband really loves eating at the bar, and I don't mind it, so we sat down and perused the menu. We began with the wine list which included many imported wines that I was unfamiliar with. I chose an Italian Chardonnay, Preludio No. 1, which was truly subtle and delicious. My husband had his usual dry martini. We then studied the menu, a necessary task, since my husband is highly allergic to garlic. He decided on a lobster dish with homemade pasta twists, and I had littleneck clams with homemade spaghetti. Both meals were unbelievably tasty, also subtle like my wine, with different tastes at each bite. Most importantly, everything was so fresh. On our way out, I thanked the owner of the restaurant, commenting on how light and refreshing all the dishes were. He showed me a beautifully decorated board, indicating all the local farms where the ingredients are grown. For example, the vegetables and fruits were from three local farms in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. What better way to pay tribute to local farmers than effectively using their ingredients in your recipes! Hats off to Enzo! Thus, my recommendation to all of you, and Lorenzo--dine at Enzo!

1  Thank Brenda S
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been twice since they opened, both times the service was so bad that my fellow dinner guests and I were wondering if we were the butt of some unspoken joke.

There were a couple very nice dishes on the menu that I liked. They did an absolutely wonderful job with the interior renovation, one of the nicer restaurant spaces in the Boston suburbs.

However, everyone from the host to the waiters seemed to be affected by some strange malady where they've never worked in a restaurant and have no idea what they're doing. On both visits they refused to seat us even though the place was empty. We had to stop back an hour later and basically demand to be seated.

What else can really be said. I could go on and on with more details of the dinner, but why? Service was incredibly slow. Attitude was surly and snobby. It's rare that service is so bad as to be insulting, but that's why we got at Enzo. Not recommended.

2  Thank S M
Reviewed May 1, 2013

with SEVERAL visible open tables, my husband and I tried to get in to eat there. The people at the desk were rude and said they were full. We went across the street to eat, where we could visibly see the restaurant and guess what? After two hours, they STILL had open seats.

1  Thank bella4444
Reviewed March 4, 2013

There are a lot of pros about Enzo's...

Easy parking at the Tannery and a relatively small menu were the two initial factors that made us choose it for a relaxing dinner.

The atmosphere is very pleasant, clean lines and candle light. The service friendly and certainly our server (Vanessa) was great.

The wine list is not extensive and it has some good choices. Cocktails and spirits are also available. The environmentally friendly take is definitely a big plus and much appreciated, when every little bit counts. The food is selected from relatively local growers and seafood providers.

Another plus is that on they offer a gluten free menu (desserts included) and they do not charge more for this like other local restaurants.

The food was very good. We shared the mushroom polenta for appetizer and had the lobster linguine and lobster polenta (from the gf menu).

If you are looking for the standard "Italian-American" (or "American-Italian"?) food selection, then better look for another option. The food here is a little bit more refined and contemporary.

I would say the only minuses were that the prices were a bit high for the product, throughout the board... (and a minor observation from .. the linguine should actually be called tagliatelle given the cut of the pasta :-)

Overall a pleasant and tasteful dinner in Newburyport.