“Average food; bring your wallet”
Review of Ceia Kitchen & Bar

Ceia Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ceia Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 98 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Essex St
Description: Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tete-a-tete cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.
Rye, New Hampshire
“Average food; bring your wallet”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We were excited to try this restaurant. The waitstaff was great and cozy ambiance. Wine was disappointing as both the Chardonnay and Cabernet were harsh. The portions are quite small, which is ok IF the food was superior. It was far short of that. Pumpkin soup was horrible, and roasted artichokes were burnt. Ravioli were ok, but a small portion for $18. Bread was good and we filled up on that. There are too many good restaurants in Newburyport to come back here.

Visited March 2014

Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
“Not a repeat”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Nice decor, very good wait staff, however we had issues with food. The mussels were loaded with sand..we spoke to the waiter, and he adjusted the bill..However my duck dish was in desperate need of something!! Like additional sauce, less smokiness....and the crispy artichoke were in deed crispy, kind of like dried leaves...way too dry and limited sauce to help soften the dryness. Great culinary idea, just way too overdone for this culinarian. I beieve it would assist the chef if he asked for feedback...I would not go there again... So dissapointed.

• Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what i expected...”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This place was initially marketed as a Portuguese Restaurant and given the name, you would think that. "Ceia" means supper/dinner in Portuguese. Unfortunately, that's not what was on the menu....I think there were a handful of dishes/drinks but the rest were not Portuguese at all. The food we did order was good. As far as the atmosphere it was pretty busy for a late afternoon dinner and even with reservations we were squeezed into a small area where we felt we were sort of in the way. It was pricier than I expected. I haven't been back and I'm not sure if I will although they have been advertising quite a lot so I'm curious about their events.

• Visited March 2013
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Better value elsewhere”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I ate at Ceia on a Saturday night, having made reservations a few days in advance. We were greeted very nicely and seated on the lovely third floor. The experince was both good and bad. Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros -
We had a very nice, young and polite waitress who was very attentive.
The food is delicious!
The ambience, decor, lighting and music (jazz, that night)were all top notch.

Cons -
The portion sizes of the salads and appetizers were ridiculously SMALL. It felt like a joke.
The wine portions were very slight, and not even very good wine for an exorbitant price.
The meal portions are fine but for what you get....very over-priced. I got a Kobe burger with plain old french fries, $19. and they were nothing special at all.

In sum, if you feel like spending a lot of money just for the heck of it, go to Ceia for a meal. But, I think you can find just as good a meal, for a much better value, elsewhere.

• Visited February 2014
New England
“HORRIBLE SERVICE- great food”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband took me out for my birthday. We ordered the cheese plate ($6 for 1 1/2 slices of Gruyere accompanied by a dollop of raspberry preserve). It was delicious but enough for a mouse. Our drinks, a tap water and beer, which was great because we never were asked for refills. Eventually, we requested a Coke. Since that was not refilled, we went to the bar to get more to drink as we watched the couple next to us, who happened to have an established relationship with the Manager, receive refills. Only then the waitress asked if we were "all set". We ordered Kobe burgers & waited 30-45 minutes. We asked for a Manager since nobody checked on us for any reason. As the Manager arrived (w/ our food...interesting) she just placed it down as if nothing was wrong. We inquired if there was a problem. We were looked at as if we aliens. She replied, "No." -and never even asked why.

This was supposed to be a celebration evening. As I saw "Boston's Best of" something in 2011 framed upon the wall I cannot imagine that they had an experience like ours.

We noted that the large party of 6 had very good service. Maybe they offered a better gratuity as well...very disappointed. What's really sad is that the food was really delicious but we will not subject ourselves to such blatant neglect. Thank you only to the Chef. You CAN cook!

2 Thank mindprofessional