“An interesting selection of foods that you won't typically find on restaurant menus”
Review of Ceia Kitchen & Bar

Ceia Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ceia Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 96 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Essex St
Description: Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tete-a-tete cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.
Beulah, CO
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We showed up without reservations on a Wednesday evening. It was surprisingly busy, but this is Newburyport, after all. Looking for a quieter location than the first floor offered, we were seated promptly on the third floor. It is not a big room, but has a light, airy and comfortable feeling, looking out into the trees in the back. It can get a little noisy due to the echos, but tolerable. Nothing is perfect when you have hearing aids.

Service was prompt and attentive and friendly. Our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful.

The wine selection was good, if a bit pricey.

We were there for the appetizers and wine. The "salted, smoked - cured" menu was small portions of meats and sausages, at $5 each. Very good, interesting. The cheese menu was equally good and similarly priced.

I had the gazpacho and wild ramp soup. The portion was quite small, soup was more tomato, more spices, less vegetables than I am used to, but it was also tasty. My wife had the Spaghetti with Wild Ramps, Preserved Lemon and English Peas, that was also good.

We have every intention of going back.

• Visited June 2013

“Overpriced,not special”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My 3 rating is for the ambiance, service and the location.
Me and my husband tried this restaurant this afternoon. First of all, they serve DINNER at 4 pm?! I have not seen this anywhere else before. Ambiance looked good so we wanted to give it a shot. My husband got Kobe Burger for $16 and I wanted to have a ceasar salad which they did not have in the menu, They could not make it in their kitchen. So I ended up ordering sphagetti. It had probably 10 peas and a soupy liquid in it which was $18. They have an extremely restricted menu. If you are picky go somewhere else. I would not go back.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank ogursoy
Boston, Massachusetts
“wonderful food, lovely ambiance”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We took our daughter to Ceia to celebrate her birthday--her hockey team had been playing at a nearby school and instead of going home on the bus, she came by Ceia with us for dinner. It was a Wednesday night in January and there were only three tables of diners downstairs, with few people also at the bar. The small cozy room was charming. The food was probably the best we've had in the past year. I wish I could be more specific about the dishes we ordered--looking at the menu, I think we had the grilled octopus and the lobster among our first courses and the scallops as one of our main courses. The flavors and textures were brilliantly combined and contrasted in every dish we ordered--there were no weak spots or unsuccessful dishes. Desserts were wonderful also.

By the end of the night the family at the table behind us and the couple at the table across from us were comparing notes with our daughter about schools and hockey teams--everyone was in a convivial mood. I can imagine that in summer, when the restaurant is crowded, it may feel very different from our cozy evening; but the next time we are anywhere near Newburyport we will go back, because the food was exceptional.

• Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

A friend from the area suggested we have dinner here, as did the owners of the B&B we were staying at. We were thankful for the recommendation as the food and atmosphere were both incredible!

• Visited May 2013
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Our first visit to Ceia was very positive, so when selecting a restaurant to celebrate my husband's birthday we decided to return. Made my reservation via Open Table, received a confirmation, but approximately 3 hours before our reservation, received a notice that the reservation had been cancelled by Ceia. When I called to find out what happened, it appeared the manager had not looked at the Open Table reservations, but was quick to take care of it and reinstate the reservation.

Then I had a call from the restaurant aboutg 30 minutes from our reserved time saying that they received my request to reschedule the reservation to Sunday...WHAT???? After explaining that the reservation was needed that evening, apologies were made and the reservation was reinstated...again.

Once we arrived, service was a bit slow. A little surprising since it was a Tuesday evening and they weren't that busy. We shared a small plate of duck mousse that was excellent. Appetizers were excellent, a beet/cherry cold soup and burratta salad. Then came the l-o-n-g wait for our entrees. We had to ask the person refilling our water to check on the entrees, then our server appeared saying they would be up shortly.

My husband had the lamb, it was not cold, but not as hot as one would expect. My veal dish was OK, not quite as described on the menu and the clams were dry, and extremely gritty. Two out of four were not edible.

I let the server know and he expressed his apologies, returned a short time later with complimentary glasses of prosecco and said he did give the feedback to the chef. While we did not let this ruin our evening, it was disappointing and I do not anticipate returning considering the other strong options we have in our city.

• Visited May 2013