“I won't return”
Review of Ceia Kitchen & Bar

Ceia Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ceia Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 100 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Essex St
Description: Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tete-a-tete cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We had eaten at Cela quite a while ago and had a mixed experience. Some of us truly enjoyed our dinner while others were disappointed. My husband and I decided to give Cela another chance. The tuna tartar appetizer was flavorless. My husband ordered the filet medium. It was served raw in the center. He sent it back while I ate my dinner. I was almost done when it came back and was still raw in the center. He gave up. My suckling pig cassoulet was very flavorful and would have been a real winner except that the pig itself was very fatty. Given the trouble with my husband's entree I chose to pass on the negative comment to our waitress. The restaurant was kind enough to remove the charge for the entree and dessert from our bill. But given that this restaurant has a good menu, good ambiance and high price tag, the food was disappointing. We won't be back.

1  Thank Liz L

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We recently had a really good meal at this small restaurant/bar in downtown Newburyport. The staff was very nice and friendly, and we were seated right away. The menu was interesting. The kobe beef burger was excellent and the swordfish dish was very special. The only negative: the tables for two were right near the door, and, despite the heater/blower right over the door, it got uncomfortably chilly every time the door was opened.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Although a little on the pricy side, Ceia holds up against top Boston area restaurants and with a real local flair on a French/Portuguese infused menu. For the area, it would be nice to see a slightly better value on some of the menu items, but there are flavors you'll find here that are original and inspiring. The Arctic Char, Suckling Pig, and Gnocchi -Lobster Americaine are some of my favorites, however I have not sampled the entire menu yet. At some point be sure to try the Kobe burger and if you're a real wine lover Ceia has one of the best wine lists you'll find just about anywhere!

Reviewed September 21, 2011

On a cool Saturday night I met my friend @ Ceia for dinner. We had a reservation and a good thing because the place was packed. We were seated in a booth parallel to the bar crowd. Reviewing the menu I though this is going to be fabulous food. We ordered the endive salad which had pickled oinions and guanciale?? Yuck! what is it? My friend liked it. The fried olives were good. For entrees I got the crab stuff prawns. The heads of the prawns were in the dish and the body had the stuff crab in them. The charred citrus consomme was so over powering that I could not enjoy the crab or shrimp for that matter. My friend got the pan seared scallop special which was a combination of French gnocchi and gelato??? She could only bear to eat the scallops that were perfectly cooked. Too many ingredients in the dishes! We finished with the creme brulee with suspended strawberries. No they were not supended in the air but you can see what I mean by making the dishes sound and taste so complicated! Service is good.

1  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We enjoyed dinner here on a Friday in August. Our waiter was peculiar, but we didn't mind, as the service was fantastic. The ambiance was very nice - romantic. The asparagus and soup appetizers were delicious! Unique flavors without overdoing it. The pasta my husband had was delicious, however, my chicken was undercooked (pink) and I had to send it back. The chicken was very tender, cooked well and super juicy, although I did not like the sauce. It was a 3 out of 4 win for us, so we'd probably go back.