“It deserves the top rating!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loretta - MOVED

Loretta
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: new
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“It deserves the top rating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Wanting to take our hosts out to dinner, we consulted Trip Advisor and found Loretta ranked best in Newburyport. We knew that the food had had rave reviews at the Anna Jaques Hospital Great Chefs and our visit confirmed that this was a good call. It was bustling on a Tuesday evening. Ted, the owner, was much in evidence front of house, talking to customers and checking everything was well and it was! The food was varied and delicious, the serving staff attentive and what could have been a minor disappointment with the wine was turned by Ted into a positive which impressed us enormously. That is what good customer relations is all about and is the mark of a great restaurant!
It was a very special evening for us and though we won't be back for a few years, until we are next visiting Newburyport, our hosts will certainly become regulars and are recommending it to their friends enthusiastically!

2 Thank BrentorGirl

Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,663 helpful votes
“Cafe with Character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Nice interesting lunch restaurant on State Street in downtown Newburyport. The walls are littered with autographed movie and sports paraphernalia. There are tables outside which might have been a good choice since the noise level was at times rather high. The server was a delightful woman who was efficient, polite, and good with the little kids across the way.

We ordered a bowl of the homemade clam chowder that was five stars. Good chunks of clams, along with cut-up potatoes, bacon, and chives in a tasty creamy base. Unfortunately, the sandwiches were a bit disappointing. My Monte Christo was far too dry. I would have preferred something smaller that had more dressing, although the turkey seemed so overcooked, I'm not sure it would have helped. Similarly, my son’s Loretta Burger was too big to finish. It packed a full half pound of meat, grilled Bermuda Onions, and a wallop of Gorgonzola. Frankly, while it sounds impressive, that particular cheese is more of a gimmick than ingenious culinary combination. Give me Swiss or American any day. Lastly, the chips, French fries, and pickle wedges were all good.

My son voted to give this restaurant a lower rating because of the disgust he had for his massive burger. Fortunately, he’s not Cherry Wonderdog; I am, and I believe the overall package merits a decent rating. Nevertheless, I must concur with him that more is sometimes a LOT less. In this case, it was borderline obscene. Advice to management: save money on food, serve smaller portions, (charge less if you can), and have people walk away happy because of food quality, not quantity. Spare them as well the need to spend the entire afternoon digesting or worry about clogged arteries.

Loretta gets 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4) for a one-time mixed performance that showed potential for greatness.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I visited Loretta on a recent weeknight. It was our first time eating there but it will not be our last. It's a small and cozy restaurant with a nice bar area. We had a reservation and were seated right away. We were greeted warmly when we entered and our server was attentive and personable. The food was delicious. I had a swordfish special and it was outstanding. I savored every bite and cleaned my plate. My husband had the pasta special and he enjoyed it as well. We're definitely looking forward to our next visit to Loretta.

1 Thank DPC49
Boxford, Massachusetts
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I went to Loretta last night to celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary. My parents had given us a gift certificate there, as this restaurant is one of their favorites. From the moment we walked in, we were treated like royalty. (I had stopped by previously in the day to make an 8pm reservation because I specifically wanted the table for 2 in the front window - cozy and romantic!). The place is small. There are several tables and a small bar area at the back. The manager, Giselle, remembered me from earlier and showed us right to the front table. My husband bought me a bouquet of flowers that I brought into the restaurant. Giselle immediately asked if I would like a vase with water for the flowers. I said yes, and she took the flowers and brought them back moments later, in a vase, and put it where we could admire the bouquet all dinner long. We ordered drinks and moments later our waitress, Casey, brought over 2 glasses of Prosecco. "Compliments of the house" we were told. WOW! We were feeling like celebrities! We took our time sipping, the waitress took a few pictures for us. We ordered our meals. My husband had the caesar salad ($8.50) and shrimp scampi ($15.95. I had a loretta house salad ($7.95) and the caprese pappardelle ($14.95). We are vegetarians, and we were able to find things on the menu that we could have. Our meals were delicious! The prices were great. We also sipped on martinis...a dirty grey goose martini and a coconut pineapple martini (it was the nightly special and BOY was it delicious!) We also got the Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding, served a la Mode with Whiskey Praline Sauce. MMMMMMM!!!! This dessert is a MUST! They are famous for that. My husband and I had a wonderful time. We were so happy we chose this place for our special night. We never felt rushed, the service was beyond excellent, and we kept saying how delicious everything we ate was! I will say it again: the manager, Giselle, was amazing. And so was our waitress, Casey! Check out this place, you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank kate g
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, great service, great atmosphere. An excellent little restaurant in downtown Newburyport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

The owner Ted told me that Lorreta is named for his mother, and I am sure she is proud of the excellent offering that he has put together in her name. We stopped by, without a reservation, on a cold, rainy Saturday evening in late March, and found there were no tables to be had. Lorreta is small, and it seems without a reservation, a table is a tough get even on a dreary late spring night. Ted met us at the door, and apologized for not being able to offer us a table. He say that we could sit at the bar, and although we seldom do that, Ted was so genuine and earnest, we decided to stay and give it a try at the bar. We are so glad that we did!!! The atmosphere here was wonderful. Although small, the restaurant never felt crowded, even at the bar. It felt more intimate and inviting and we were made to feel very much at home and part of the ‘family’. As important as ‘atmosphere’ is in a restaurant, ultimately, it’s all about the food. Lorreta did not disappoint as the food was spectacular in its taste and simplicity! I had the Mussels and Chorizo prepared with cherry tomatoes and steamed in a white Belgian beer. The flavor was subtle and complete. Just one of the superb dishes we enjoyed on the evening. We will go back but next time we’ll make a reservation first. Give Loretta a try -- she stands out in a crowded restaurant scene in little Newburyport.

• Visited March 2014