“nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newburyport
Boston, Massachusetts
“nice stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I took a trip to Newburyport. I chose The Garrison Inn for its location. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. The staff was very nice. The room (paris apartment) was clean and comfortable. There was a fireplaced sitting room and small bathroom downstairs and a bed upstairs. The view was obstructed by a foggy window. We didn't check out the pool but its located across the street at the YWCA. Breakfast was very good, cooked to order. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2012

After a trip to babysit for our Boston based grandson, my husband and I decided to reward ourselves with a brief sojourn to the shore before heading back to Pennsylvania. Having taken day trips to charming Newburyport before, we searched for lodging there on line and found the Garrison Inn. What a treasure - perfect location, courteous staff, gorgeous decor. While at our gourmet breakfast, we overheard a young guest say to his father ' Do you think this is as nice as the Four Seasons?" The father replied "Yes, it is. " and we, having also stayed at the Seasons and the Ritz, would have to agree. Great value. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lowest price room which was beautifully decorated with working fireplace situated o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marcia K
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Garrison Inn for 2 nights. We selected the Inn for its location and reputation. We are thrilled that we did. The staff is extremely accommodating and very friendly. They are very professional and not snobby. That is the main reason The Garrison Inn felt so inviting and relaxing. The location is perfect; an easy stroll to everything downtown. The room was very clean, roomy and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and prepared by a talented and very friendly chef. My wife and I really like Newburyport. The Garrison Inn enhanced our entire getaway. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here in August for a wedding we attended. I enjoyed the fact that it is not your cookie cutter traditional Colonial Inn. We were welcomed with complimentary champagne. There was complimentary tea and cookies set out in the glamorous lobby each afternoon. The room was simple, uncluttered and quite striking- a monocromatic color scheme of beige and black. Beautiful linens, robes and a classy barware assortment. I knew there were other guests partying in their rooms near by, but luckily for me (need my beauty sleep) the room was very sound insulated and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was truly unexpected and outstanding. The menu was extensive and included my favorite: eggs benedict. I felt like a movie star and was treated like one. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We loved our Grand Park View Room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah R
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the Garrison recently and were very happy with our experience. First we arrived to a pleasant staff who welcomed us and assisted us with parking (just outside the front door) The room was spacious with vintage elegance mixed with couture style. After getting comfortable in the his and hers bathrobes we enjoyed the shower and dressed for a night on the town (all walking distance) After our fun night out in Newburyport we got a great night's sleep on the King size bed and awoke refreshed and ready for the day. That was until we realized the made to order breakfast was waiting downstairs. The breakfast could not have been better (fresh,homemade, and delicious) I had the Garrison Benedict and my wife had an Omelate with Swiss and Mushrooms. SIX STARS FOR SURE. Not your cheapest overnight experience but well worth every penny. We will be back for sure!! Wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JKDuggan
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Garrison on a Thursday night and had such a wonderful stay. We were immediately impressed with the cute decor, cleanliness, and incredibly friendly staff. They were helpful with our parking, and recommending restaurants and coffee shops. The chef the next morning made a gourmet breakfast to order. It felt like a B&B with the modern conveniences of a luxury hotel. We will definitely return and I have already recommended it to a friend who is going at the end of the month!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Boston Boudior room. It was wonderful!
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I spent the final three nights of our honeymoon at the Garrison Inn. From my familiarity with boutique hotels, I'd been really looking forward to our stay. I agree with the reviewer, Connie P -- the gaudy decor does not at all complement the historic grace of the building and the overall energy to the place is bizarre. The music playing in the hotel was 80s pop and/or rock & roll - some classical or jazz, maybe? Our room was spacious, but the dated bathroom was filled w/ too many impractical nicknacks w/out one hook to hang a towel. The bed, which was too small for the price of the room, was covered with a stained duvet and when I tossed it to the floor, a huge cloud of dust flew forth. The breakfast selection was varied, but they were obviously understaffed. One employee prepares meals in a tiny, makeshift kitchenette - he was extremely amiable, but the only quality food item, in my opinion, was the Harney & Sons tea. For the price of the room, I expected farm fresh eggs, artisan breads, and fresh fruit. We'd been traveling for two weeks and had been served excellent breakfasts for a much better price. In sum, the place was quite a disappointment.

1 Thank Johanna G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburyport
Essex Street Inn & Suites
#4 of 6 in Rockport
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#5 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Garrison Inn Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!