“Sub par food prep”
Review of David's Tavern - CLOSED

David's Tavern
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Georgetown, Massachusetts
“Sub par food prep”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

There is NO excuse for bad food prep and a good restaurant would not have turned out the first meal of the day the way they did when I was there. I obviously underestimated the quality of your the cuisine. It was almost like it had been precooked and then flash fried (again). Like The jumbo coconut shrimp appetizer was hard as a rock and cut my gums, it was also very dark and the lobster was dried out with burned edges and the scallops had a hard skin like burned (more than seared) texture to them. It was sub par for sure.

My sister went to the Capital Grille some time ago. She was not happy with her beef and she said nothing at all when asked how her dinner was, but the server could tell by the look on her face and the body language something was wrong. He immediately question her asking if something was not to her liking. That is a professional server.

When our server stopped by, I NEVER responded to her inquires as to how everything was. To her credit she stopped by twice, but didn't really seem interested in my lack of response. A really top notch server would have picked up on the silence and body language and asked if there was something wrong. Also a really top notch server would not have let that dish leave the kitchen, it was obviously over-cooked, both the app and the entrée. Since we were the first patrons of the evening no one could claim being rushed.

I will not be back to David's Tavern, and I will never recommend it to anyone else. I decided to give this review because I was not impresses by the response I got from the chef, Josh Marshall, when I wrote about what had happened.

The place is more OLD than rustic as well.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Dolores B

Arlington, Virginia
“A bit of a let-down”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We thought we would try out this restaurant to hear some Irish folk music but ended up listening to
70s music. Nevertheless the music was good and the atmosphere was cozy. My daughter ordered lobster ravioli, probably the best entree out of the group. The service was slow, it took a good solid hour for our food to come. I ordered the blackened chicken Caesar salad, only to have a plate of salad arrive with some cold chicken tossed on the top. They corrected the mistake, but it still wasn't the best. I am wondering if any place in Newburyport serves fresh food?

• Visited March 2013
Massachusetts
“Brunch disappointment”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were looking for a place in town to have a birthday celebration brunch with family. We live in town so we know that there are plenty of options for food, but not so many choices for Brunch. Originally I tried to book reservations at a wonderful ocean side restaurant in Salisbury that is well known for their brunch. They were booked solid so our next choice was to try David's.

First let me say that if you are going to David's or The Garrison Inn for the first time you will notice that the decor is very old and tired. They have not improved their decor in 25 years! And even if they have replaced chairs and tables etc. no one really notices because the current chairs are cheap metal and the red paint on the walls is oppressive. Everyone in town knows this and we have come to just ignore it. I personally know this because my husband and I spent our wedding night at the Inn 25 years ago while we waited to catch an early flight out of Boston. People have been complaining about the atmosphere for years, it has never improved.

In the past year we have been for dinner downstairs in the tavern area and liked it well enough so I was hopeful that brunch would be good. Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. Our reservation was for 11:00am so you would think that there would be plenty of fresh, hot food available (brunch only started at 10:00am so they couldn't have been sold out by the time we got there) This was not the case.

Because the service was slow, some of the people at our table went up to the buffet before the waitress showed up to take our egg order. (you order whatever type of eggs you want from the waitress and they are made fresh for you) The rest of us chose to wait to order our eggs and then head up to the buffet. When I went up to walk through the line there was basically nothing left. It wasn't just that one or two dishes needed to be refreshed/replaced. I mean that there was basically nothing left (except for a large bowl of garden salad). The fruit platter had the top of a pineapple on it with one strawberry and a few grapes. There was only crumbs on the plate that originally held the coffee cake type baked good. There was a basket with plain bagels in it that were cut into quarters and looked dry and unappealing. A GIANT bowl of whipped cream cheese sat un-appetizingly next to the basically empty bagel basket. There was no possible way that they could have gone through this amount of cream cheese in a morning and it was a huge turn off to see it blobbed in a bowl on the table, especially since it was the only full to overflowing serving dish on the buffet table.

By looking at other people's plates, I could tell that there was french toast and pancakes available at one point. Neither looked tempting to me. Bacon and Sausage were also available. I chose a piece of sausage. As I was walking along the buffet table the waitress said, "more fish will be out soon". I have no idea what type of fish she was talking about and I chose to return to my seat and wait for the Eggs Florentine that I ordered.

The Egg Florentine with hollandaise was very good. It was the nicest thing I ate and I would have been happy to have had two of those and some fruit that looked good on other people's plates. The potatoes that came with my egg were not great. I left them on my plate.

On a bright side, my Bloody Mary was wonderful! Maybe I should have stuck to a liquid brunch!

So, all in all, I am sad to say, I can't recommend David's for brunch. It felt like I was at a chain hotel that includes breakfast with your nightly stay. The room was over crowded and noisy. The food was unappetizing and bland. The service wasn't even friendly or good. Our waitress wasn't rude but she seemed to have too much to do and was slow to wait on us for our entire meal. We had to wait to order drinks, wait to order our eggs, and wait to get second drinks. We even had to wait to get our check and wait to get the credit card slip back so we could sign it and leave.

I think that the reason I was so disappointed was that we where looking for a place to have a nice meal with family. To me, brunch is a luxury with beautifully displayed choices lining a buffet table that tempts you to try both savory and sweet options. We were looking for something different than the cafeteria and food line feel that we got.

There are much better breakfast options in Newburyport (we know, we go to them often!)....seek those out and you'll enjoy better food with better service.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank BlueWaterTraveler05
Monson, MA
“Their claim to fame is the children's room...not the food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

2/20/2013Edit »
We dined early on this Sat evening because we had a 2 year old with us and needed to get him home.
We made reservations in both the downstairs dining room & the children's room.
The child's area had a delightful gal who intertained each child & was attentive & caring. She prepared the meal for each child in the micro.
We ordered fish meals and after a long wait, finally were served. They were both disappointing. No flavor, bland without any seasoning. We had a similar experience a while back. The chef needs cooking lessons!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank fanoitaly
North Andover, Massachusetts
“Dictionary definition of mediocre”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We love Newburyport and made reservations at David's to celebrate a birthday based on reviews found on the web. What a disappointment. The service was simply awful. Never once checked the table throughout the exceedingly long 2.5 hours it took for them to deliver a meal for four. Dirty glassware, a goat cheese app that consisted of two minuscule phylo triangles with a few slices of zucchini to fill the plate, four mediocre entrees and a bread pudding that tasted like microwaved French toast are just some of highlights. Cheap, uncomfotable metal chairs and a fake electric fireplace complete the ambiance of the crowded basement room with only two waitstaff for the entire restaurant, and we could go on. Absolutely nothing memorable.

• Visited February 2013