“Excellent food but condescending,almost rude waiter spoiled our celebration.”

Old Inn On The Green
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Inn On The Green is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Tennessee
“Excellent food but condescending,almost rude waiter spoiled our celebration.”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We were meeting old friends as hadn't seen for a couple of years and selected this restaurant based on reviews from this site and planned to have a special meal to celebrate. Instead we had a waiter who seemed upset that we were interrupting his evening. We received the menus in a state of disarray, with one having completely different menu items. When we asked about it, he wanted to argue they were the same but finally agreed that one was different and had to go ask to find out which ones were correct! Not a great start and he was like that through out the meal, taking our orders with a scowl and often ignoring our table. Thank goodness the other wait staff were attentive and made sure we had water etc.

The atmosphere is as advertised, dining by candlelight on rickety uncomfortable chairs that tilted with the ups and downs of the floor (it is a old inn) . On the plus side, the food was very good and my fish was cooked to perfection. Too bad we had to endure our waiter´s attitude. While we expect to return to the Berkshires we won't be returning to the Old Inn on the Green.

Stamford
“Highlight of my weekend”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The dining room is lit only by candle.

The tasting menu is to die for.

Saturday nights only have a $75 prix fixe and $95 tasting menu. It's worth it. Oustanding experience.

Middletown, New Jersey
“Excellent Tasting Menu”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were staying in Norfolk CT and took the half hour drive to this restaurant specifically for the tasting menu with wine pairings. We often do tasting menus with the pairings as we enjoy to "taste" a large sampling what the restaurant has to offer. To maximize the effect, I chose my menu and my husband choses the complement -- so we taste ALL the dishes.

There was not one dish that was not above par. The accompanying wines were perfectly matched (and generously poured). The staff was attentive and knowledgeable.

The entire inn is lit by candles adding to the 1700's feel of the experience - very romantic as well.
The price of the menu plus wine is on par with others of this caliber in the NY/NJ area. That is to say not cheap but definitely worth it, especially for a special occasion.

Poughkeepsie, New York
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Professional, helpful service. Very romantic candlelight in an old farm house. The food was the highlight. Carefully prepared to perfection. Wonderful creative plating with out being over done. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited September 2013
Montrose, New York
“A fabulous meal in the dark”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Unless you are there in summer with late sunlight you'll be eating the way folks did when the place was built in 1760. My wife and I found it fun, but, I suspect the food looked as good as it tasted, though we have no idea!

The dining room is comfy, beautifully set and charming. The wait staff are terrific, the choices are excellent and the food is incredible (probably the best short ribs I've ever had). A small but fine wine list (not very expensive) and really fine appetizers and desserts and probably the best coffee I've had in years (French Press, good gadget).

If I were a local I'd be there all the time. Would I go all the way to New Marlborough for the meal and not stay there or nearby...no. For my take on the Inn as hotel, see my review under hotels.