“High Expectations”

The Old Inn on the Green
New York City, New York
“High Expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

So perhaps the disappointment was my fault - - my expectations were too high.
Along with a friend I purchased a voucher from Travelzoo. The promotional value was $852, we paid $349. Photos of the Inn as well as reviews were excellent (no reason to think I was expecting too much). Our room was, perhaps the ugliest at the Inn. We needed 2 beds so I don't believe we had a lot of choice when it came to rooms - - but this was truly the saddest room at the Inn. The room was so poorly decorated, it defies description. The bathroom was updated, though half of the lights were not working and the shower could have used a good scrubbing to remove the mildew growing at the base. I need to add that on the second day my bed was not made, the comforter was literally pulled over the tangled sheets.

The staff were excellent. The voucher allowed for a $35 Prix Fix meal (certainly not a luxury meal in anyones opinion). Nothing on the fixed menu appealed to us so we ordered using the regular menu. We were credited with $35 each toward our meal (our meal and 1 drink each added $80, after the credit, to our bill). Dinner was wonderful, though since the dining room was illuminated by "candlelight" only it was difficult to see what you were eating. Breakfast was good, though you had to ask for a full breakfast which was not encouraged (noted by lack of menus), and on the second day when I asked for a menu I was asked "why, what did I want?".

The 3 course lunch consisted of a sandwich and perhaps a soup or salad and desert - - - we skipped lunch at the Southfield Store Cafe which was not a general store, was not a store of any kind; just simply a cafe.

In my experience this was not an $852 value, I would have put the value at a maximum of $300.
My friend and I felt that our voucher was an overcharge. I was expecting a luxury Inn, even had we stayed in one of the other rooms that I looked into this Inn is not luxury and $852 is really a terrible overcharge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 40yrstraveling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I like to stay at B&Bs wherever we travel, so we have a great deal of experience of what to expect at such places. As the title states, the Old Inn was "just alright."
We stayed 2 nights and never met the owners properly - we made educated guesses as to who they were, gradually. A waiter for the restaurant checked us in when we arrived - he took our dinner order that night. Dinner was great, by the way, a lovely candlelit affair. The next morning, we had to figure out the breakfast system because it was buffet style, but the buffet was two rooms away and no one told us for a good 10 minutes as we sat at our table and waited for service. The breakfast was continental style and anything you wanted cooked like toast, eggs, bacon, etc cost extra. Given these factors, I feel the B&B is run more like a hotel than a B&B. That's fine, but don't bill yourself as a B&B then, because you will end up disappointing people who expect warm hospitality and a home-cooked meal each morning. As for our room upstairs, it was fine and what we would expect for its age - some wear and tear, but at least all the plumbing worked.

If we had to choose again, we would have chosen a different B&B for this trip because we wanted the genuine B&B experience. This is a perfectly adequate place to stay with a great restaurant, but it was just not what we expected.

Room Tip: Room 191 is spacious with a queen bed and an extra twin bed in a little corner alcove - perfect for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wantagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went back to the old inn with two other couples because we had such a great time. It did not disappoint. We had two wonderful breakfasts as well as a great box lunch the last day. We had another great dinner the wait staf was very attentive. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. It was a little chilly this time so we were able to take advantage of the cozy fireplaces. My wife was thrilled.

1 Thank Paul V
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and 12 year old son surprised me by taking me here for my birthday. We live in the Berkshires but had never been to New Marlborough before other than to drive through.

We stayed in room 191, which had a larger four poster bed, a single brass bead, and a lovely sitting area with a couch. The room was perfect for our family of three. It was quaint and perfectly clean with some really pleasant modern touches like wonderful bath products and fluffy extra blankets.

My husband and I ate in the dining room. (We got take-out sushi for our son, who ate in the room and hung out - his bday present to me was the gift of a romantic dinner for his parents...) I am a true foodie and my husband is not, but he chose this place to bring me because he had read reviews of the restaurant online. It did not disappoint either of us!

We both ordered the tasting menu, and between the two of us were able to sample everything offered on the menu. Everything was amazing. We loved the slow, delightful pacing of the meal. We awaited each new course with eager anticipation. I actually got food-inspired goose bumps twice during this meal - at the beet tarte tatin, a starter, and at the polenta, a side with the rack of lamb. I am not kidding. I am sure the element of surprise played into my mood, but the food, the wine, the candlelit atmosphere... It was amazing. Don't even get me started on the breakfast...

In the morning as we drove away after checking out, my son said, "That was great; we will definitely go back there!" I am not sure if I will ever be lucky enough to go to The Old Inn on the Green again, but the memories of fine food, atmosphere, and company will linger for years to come.

• Stayed September 2013
Hillsborough, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We found out about this very old Inn established in 1760 through Travel Zoo and purchased a wonderful 2 nit stay including one dinner, one lunch and continental breakfast, Beautiful room and updated bathrooms. Nice hikes around the Inn and a great general store about a mile and a half from the Inn where we had our free lunch and had great conversation w / the best pastry chef around. The store is also owned by the Inn and served his wonderful pastries every morning. The owner of the Inn, Peter is also the chef at dinner time which is served in the main house under candle lite and was also amazing. The only complaint I had was that our room was 100 degrees and we couldn't lower the temperature so we kept the windows open the whole time. Very charming and very centrally located to Great Barrington and Stockbridge where you'll find the Norman Rockwell Museum. The Museum was spectacular. We had a great time and would highly recommend the Inn.

Windsor, Connecticut USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a mid-week 3 day getaway to celebrate our 23rd anniversary without having to travel too far from home. We could not have had a more wonderful experience! We stayed in room 201 in the Thayer House. Just wonderful! Though full of rustic, Old New England ambiance, the room was immaculate, not musty, and spacious! We loved having our own private entrance to our room as we were able to enjoy stargazing at midnight-- far from city lights! The pool was super clean and sparkling. The food was as good as it gets! We enjoyed our top-notch homemade brunches on the screen porch and in the candle-lit dining room. Dinner was outstanding with an extensive wine list. We enjoyed quiet strolls around the property, as well as adventures to Campbell Falls (gorgeous falls!), Great Barrington, and Stockbridge. Innkeepers truly know what they are doing! What a fantastic destination! We will return!

Room Tip: Loved room 201 with private entrance, jacuzzi, fireplace, excellent bed & linens, immaculate
ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My fiancé and I heard about this inn from a Living Social deal that we purchased. We love going to the Berkshires for long weekend getaways. We bring our four-legged, fluffy daughter with us wherever we go and this inn has one room they allow dogs to stay in. We booked it immediately. We weren't sure what to expect seeing as it was a "deal", but we were very pleasantly surprised!

The room was beautiful and the Zagat rated restaurant at the inn was amazing. We ate dinner there one of the nights that we stayed and it was superb. One dish was better than the next. Wonderful. The presentation, flavors and service were perfect! We also loved that the only light illuminating the restaurant was candlelight, as this is an 1800's home. It added to the cozy ambiance and pleasant experience.

The room that we stayed in was very clean, spacious and the bed was comfy. Plenty of clean, fluffy towels were offered. When walking in, the building is very inviting with fireplaces, movies, magazines, etc. There is also an in-ground pool on the grounds for warmer weather. The grounds are well-maintained and beautiful.

We had continental breakfast that was included with our stay. Fresh fruit, local boiled eggs, locally made granola, yogurt, etc. were offered and very nice, but the freshly baked goodies that were delivered to each table were amazing. They looked and tasted as though they were photographs in a magazine. Impressive.

We also visited the deli down the street that is owned by the innkeepers and we enjoyed a tasty sandwich served by friendly people.

We will certainly be returning. Highly recommended! : )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kitchenfairy
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
#1 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!