“Very special stay”

The Old Inn on the Green
Princeton, Massachusetts
“Very special stay”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

What began as a special dinner out to celebrate ended with a lovely overnight. We have dined here several times and were willing to travel 2 hours just for this special dinner - and the dinner was absolutely superb! There is such attention to detail and flavors. This is not for those who look for quantity over quality. Dining here is very reminiscent of fine dining in Europe. Toward the end of our wonderful dinner my husband suggested that we ask if they had a room available, rather than take the long drive back home. They did, and set about preparing the room while we indulged in dessert and coffee. When we entered our bedroom there was a lovely fire in the fireplace. We were made to feel so welcome and we continue to have wonderful memories.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here mid week and it was wonderful. Our hostess Meredith met us promptly and showed us to our room. It was a lovely room with a large bathroom and jacazzui. She suggested dinner that evening in Great Barrington and recomended a couple of places to try. After we unpacked we sat by the pool and relaxed with drinks. Breakfast was wonderful, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs and wonderful warm pasteries from the bakery. My birthday dinner was the best of all. A 7 course wine and tasting meal that was amazing. I couldnt have asked for anything more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorktown NY
Reviewed July 12, 2013

the Innkeepers were very cordial and the Inn is very charming. I echo much of the other good reviews before me, so I wont repeat. The restaurant is closed on Tuesday. Ok, fine - we'll just find another restaurant that night. Well, the problem is all the restaurants seem to be closed on Tuesday nights. I think the Inn would do their customers a favor and provide a list of nearby places that are open onTuesday nights. The Inn is in a very secluded part of the Berkshires and there is nothing much to do in the direct vincinity of the Inn. I recomending if you are there on a Tuesday plan on eating in Stockbridge, Lee or Great Barrington. Also, I stayed in room 205 in the Thayer House. Lovely bathroom, the robes were great. The bed was very sqeaky. I'm just saying.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the inn through a travelzoo deal which included dinner, lunch and breakfast. We began our afternoon evening with wine, cheese and crackers complimentary! Dinner was amazing. I had a lobster claw and scallop appetizers that was so sweet and tender I would have thought I was dining at a restaurant on the Boston waterfront! The waitstaff (James) and others (Meredith and Peter along with a couple of others) were really nice and friendly. They gave us great recommendations like Hancock Shaker Village, Campbell Lake Falls and some museums which we didn't actually have time to partake in! We both agreed this 4 star in deserves a 5th! We plan to come back again!

Room Tip: We chose the room with the Jacuzzi but never got a chance to use it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was listed on Travelzoo. It included 1 dinner, which on the first evening was wonderful. The 2 breakfasts included wonderful pastries provided by the Southfield Store Cafe, fresh fruit and homemade granola. And a 3 course lunch, also at the café, again wonderful food. We stayed in the Thayer House which was clean and comfortable. I called ahead to ask a couple of questions. The woman who answered was very rude and just hung up when I finished with my questions. My husband mentioned it when he called and the gentleman said he would take care of it. Come to find out, the woman is the other owner. One of the other guests asked if she had any suggestions where they should start sightseeing, and her answer was a curt," DO YOU WANT ME TO PLAN YOUR VACATION FOR YOU?!?" The second night we decided to eat at the restaurant because I wanted the soup I had the night before. It was very crowded. My soup was 1/2 the portion and had been diluted with maybe milk to stretch it. I would rather have been told they ran out than to do what they did to it. It changed the whole texture and flavor of the soup. I would definitely east at the Southfield Store Café again. And I would like to give the Old Inn on the Green restaurant another chance. But, I hope the owner practices her people skills before she drives people away. Perhaps, she can find something to do behind the scenes?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were in New Marlborough for a wedding and spent two nights at The Old Inn. Our room was in the annex, #201, and was very comfortable and lots of historic charm, and with a nice sitting room that we could use. Friends had dinner at the inn on Friday night and loved the food and the service. Breakfasts each morning was continental style, with lovely fresh fruit (huge raspberries and blueberries), homemade granola, and lots of superb pastries. The innkeeper, Peter, happily provided bacon and eggs the following morning.

Somewhat at the last minute, we arranged for a lunch on Saturday before the wedding. About 75 people came, and the food was again excellent.

Everything about this place was truly lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank philipladd
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I can't imagine a better place to stay and have dinner. We were met at the door and quickly shown to our room which was simple and charming. They clearly have maintained this old Inn very well. Dinner was incredible. I live in NYC and I have had few meals better than what I had at the Old Inn on the Green. Clearly a lot of other people agree as the candlelit dining room was packed! If you live in NYC or Boston than treat yourself to a weekend away. I know we will be going back soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
Briarcliff Motel
Briarcliff Motel
#1 of 9 in Great Barrington
Devonfield Inn
Devonfield Inn
#1 of 8 in Lee

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!