“Absolutely umimpressed”

The Old Inn on the Green
NY
“Absolutely umimpressed”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have never ever written a review before but the Old Inn on the Green deserves one so that people know what to expect or not expect in our case. We went on Sunday after a 3 hour drive to celebrate our anniversary. Having read all the reviews, we thought we were in for a treat. We arrived at 2:30, had to go near the kitchen to even find someone and a gentlemen (never gave his name) said our room was not ready and to come back at 3, not a big deal so we had lunch and came back at 3:30. Again same man, still haven't heard his name, walks us to our room and a woman is still in there cleaning. We wait a few minutes without ever being apologizing to for the wait. As she walks out, woman states don't sit on the chair because someone spilled something on it, ok not a big deal. We relax in the room and go to dinner and the restaurant. Food was very good and we went in to settle in for the night as we had our 2 year old with us. We are trying to go to sleep and hear some plastic bags rustling. We keep looking an lo and behold a white/grayish mouse runs across the room. My daughter saw this and was crying. I called the front desk and was told someone would come out there. After about 10 minutes, a woman comes out in, never gave her name, we told her what happened and stated we are checking out. She states ok but never says anything about is there anything she can do. She states she'll let the the owner, Peter, know and shes sure he will come out and talk to us. After packing, about 15 minutes later, no Peter in sight. I go into dining to check out and same man from the afternoon is there. I tell him what happened, and again no apology, nothing. He simply says ok. We walk out and drive another 3 hours to get home. It is now 3 days later and still no call from owner or anyone to apologize. This is not a cheap place, so I would expect some "class" however, do not expect anything here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Sage C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

This is a perfect retreat for someone who needs a quiet/peaceful escape. You will not believe the quiet you will encounter when staying here. That is if you can find it as GPS has problems and their is no cell service.
We stayed in a 1760 built Thayer house that takes you back in time. Downstairs their are several rooms for quiet reading and conversation. The owners are both chefs and most people eat at the restaurant which has a prix fix menu for $ 35.- each plus tax/tip. This gets you a 3 course meal that is carefully prepared, but somewhat small portions. The next morning they provide a continental breakfast that is full of locally grown fruit and pastries made by their catering operation locally. Their is a walking trail off of the dirt road that starts on the side of the Inn.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a couple of days stay at the Old Inn. From the moment you get there, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, the pace slows down and you experience that most fleeting of feelings: peace and relaxation. Check in was a casual affair, and the rooms are just beautful, a lovely mixture of luxury and rustic. I asked for a room with a claw footed tub and didn't want to get out of it! I LOVED the bath salts, soaps, etc. Linens, towels and such felt plush. The pool is great, it feels like a natural feature with grass growing right up to the edge - I loved that there was not one sign up with a list of don'ts.
Now the food - we had breakfast and dinner there and then had a voucher for lunch at the Southfield Store down the road. I cannot improve on what's been written before, except to say that it's the highlight of the stay. I wanted to hug the chef after dinner but he escaped that fate since I was too stuffed to move. Watching chipmunks and birds chase each other around while eating your breakfast was nice, and Chapman the dog wondered around greeting everyone.
There is plenty to do here: we wondered around Great Barrington, went for a hike to Bash Bish Falls, went bowling, went to dinner at the breweryt, etc. The coffee they use is SO tasty and we stopped by Great Barrington Coffee Roastery (or something like it) at Lee to pick up a pound of French Roast on the way out.
I can't wait to come back, I'd love to check this place out in the winter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larchmont NY
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I were seeking an escape from the urbanization, standardization, banality and ennui of the 21st Century. We found it at The Old Inn in New Marlboro. Large, spare but comfortable rooms, each individually furnished with antique decorations: an old blanket chest, an authentic 19th Century print or newspaper illustration, all preserving the authentic character of the 1760 main building. The indoor dining rooms are lighted entirely by candlelight--and fireplaces in the winter. The food is the best I've ever had in the Berkshires, comparable to our favorite places in France and Belgium. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank de-la-f0lle-chans0n
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

If you love wonderfully preserved 18th century architecture, this old inn will be perfect for you.

Rooms are perfectly conceived and modern finishes complement the nearly pristine structure. Rooms have fireplaces, beautiful linens and the inn serves the best meals in the southern Berkshires.

This is a restful getaway for a weekend or more.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank PilgrimsJourney
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The service is impeccable but not haughty, the food is inspired but not precious, the surroundings are historic but not shabby. This is simply one of the best restaurants at which I have dined. The food is familiar but done so well that it becomes more that expected. I have dined here in the glow of candles with a fire in the fireplace in winter and dined on the porch in the summer- anytime is a great time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tdcCT
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife picked this gem as a fun overnight close to where my daughter went to camp. She bought a package of dinner, room and breakfast. Of course you will be temped to upgrade when you see the menu and wine list. As for me, I stayed on the included menu and enjoyed the pan fried trout. My wife generously let me sample her delicious carrot soup. We stayed in a nice room above the restaurant (192) that had was very nice. Here is where I will complain though...the shower was not a pleasure with very low pressure and fluctuating temperature. Combine that with soap and shampoo that smell just like Vicks! With the soft - low flow water, I thought I'd die of old age trying to get the smelly soap off of me! The bed was comfortable and the porch (shared outside the room) was very nice. Closing out the stay was the buffet continental breakfast was the nicest I've ever had complete with lots of fresh fruit and fresh pastries that were terrific! By the way, the tripadvisor map has the location shown incorrectly, just refer to google maps and you will be fine.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sl2741
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Hampton Terrace Bed and Breakfast Inn
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
1862 Seasons On Main B&B
#1 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!