“Quaint and Friendly”

The Old Inn on the Green
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I love this place for its setting. The food is fantastic with creative and delicious use of locally grown foods. Good place for foodies with a decent wine list. Don't expect extravagance from the Inn, just clean, quiet, and peaceful comfort. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank annie1018
There are newer reviews for The Old Inn on the Green

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this old authentic inn. It was delightful. There were two general living rooms which authentic furnishings, rugs, antiques and fireplaces. Our spacious bedroom with fireplace off the living rooms was comfortable and lovely. The linens and window treatments were exquisite and the bathroom large. The candlelit dining room was romantic with fine dining, perhaps the finest I have ever experienced. The meals were delicious. We never dine at the same place while on vacation but it was just too delicious to go anywhere else. The staff was warm and very professional for both breakfast and dinner. The pastries at breakfast were the best I've ever tasted. I would recommend this inn.

Room Tip: there are two inns within a few feet on the premises, we chose the Thayer House and would choose it...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank barbara d
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This historic property has one of the finest restaurants in New England.
We have stayed here more than once and will return to experience the charm and simplicity of past centuries. This is not a place for everyone but if you want an easy pace, the feel of yesteryear and elegant dining this is the spot.
The soft-spoken owners and staff (who are always available) are perfect hosts. Many thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vinoperson1
Reviewed May 4, 2012

When I arrived it took over 1/2 hour to find someone at the inn to check me in. I had to search the grounds and finally I wondered in to the restaurant's kitchen and found the cook to check me in. As I was searching the inn i would not believe how dark and dingy the place was. When the cook was checking me in he walked me over to the other building that did not have any door knobs are locks on building. When he showed me my room the door was a plywood door with no door knows or locks. I felt very vulnerable staying at a Bed and Breakfast with no locks to the build and non on my room. What was I supposed to do with my valuables?? I had my laptop and SLR camera worth over $5000.00. Several of the windows in the room had large cracks in them and the room was very damp and cold. There was only one thermostat for the building and none in the room. It was located down the hall. The room had hardwood planks for floors that were painted and very dirty. The bathroom ceiling had no sheet rock and was very water stained with mold.

After 2 hours I decided that this was not a nice place and very insecure. I could not find the innkeeper to check out so I left.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Michael V
Reviewed April 13, 2012

A stay at this historic Inn takes you back to what life must have been like in the mid-18th century. But, in the candlelit dining room you will enjoy the most delicious food of the 21st century. The meals were by far some of the best I have ever experienced. Our two night stay was for the mid-week lodging special and was a bargain to say the least. Our between meal activities included rest, relaxation, reading, shopping at several pottery stores and a hike to Bish Bash Falls. We came home completely refreshed. The staff couldn't have been more eager to please. We highly recommend The Old Inn on the Green, if you make the trip, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bharrin
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The restaurant was a recommendation that turned out to be one of the BEST
Places we have eaten in mass.
It was Romantic and quite reasonable for the quality of the food and service you receive.
The menu is price fixed.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Steve E
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We actually found this inn through a Groupon offer; we needed a quick, simple getaway, and this looked perfect. What a wonderful place this was! The rooms were lovely, and very old world. But there was a fabulous jacuzzi in our room, with bath salts that smelled like eucalyptus, a bidet (!), and a working fireplace. The bed was extremely comfortable, and it was so lovely to come back to the room after a delicious dinner, start a fire, watch a little tv, luxuriate in the tub. And speaking of dinner: the food is nothing short of outstanding. We intended at first to just have one meal there, since that is what the Groupon deal included, but there was no point in looking to eat anywhere else. Eating by candlelight and having to converse in quiet voices took some getting used to, but the food was so unbelievably delicious that it was worth the effort. Breakfast was quaint and satisfying - the best baked goods and fresh fruit. And wonderful coffee!! We were given a voucher for lunch at the Southfield Store, down the road, owned by the innkeepers. Another delightful surprise - sandwiches, soup, salads - all excellent.
There is not much to do in the immediate area, especially in February. There is skiing, but this was a warm winter, and so we didn't want to do that. Drove around alot, looking at the pretty countryside and shopping a little. Mostly we wanted to pamper ourselves with good food and relax, and this certainly fit the bill.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jojojp
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Marlborough
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
#2 of 12 in Great Barrington
Inn at Stockbridge
Inn at Stockbridge
#2 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to The Old Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!