“A Charming Hotel/Motel in Beautiful Berkshire Mountains...A Gem!”
Review of The Springs Inn

The Springs Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Ashford
Wilton, Connecticut
“A Charming Hotel/Motel in Beautiful Berkshire Mountains...A Gem!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

When I booked The Springs for Labor Day weekend, I was surprised by the low and reasonable rates in an area of very high (over) priced lodgings. The owner/manager, Arun, who is happy to please you in every way, personally took my reservation over the phone. Prior to finding The Springs, we had been staying in Pittsfield for many years in order to save $$ over the $300+ Lenox rates. Seeking better accommodations, I searched and The Springs. Only 15 minutes north of Pittsfield, just past Lake Pontasooc and its breathtaking vista, The Springs appears as a mirage amidst the pine trees along route 7. A charming fuschia retro script font and sparkling kidney shaped pool in front, greeted us. The pool is beautiful and was a wonderful way to end each of our days of art and music or hiking. (The Springs is just past the entrance to Mt. Greylock Park). The rooms are new, clean and beautiful with two double beds (brand new mattresses for my best night's sleep in a long time), table, fridge and 3 free HBO channels. The bathroom was retro-tiled and super clean, something of huge importance to me. Breakfast, in a large, windowed sun-lit room which had a fireplace, included 20+ items and the best coffee in New England. This hotel is a "must" for all Berkshires visitors, whether on a budget or not.

Room Tip: all rooms face the pool and are convenient to parking and the breakfast room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
arunankola, Owner at The Springs Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. See you when you are in the area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 7, 2012

As others have stated, this is now an Econo Lodge and, while my expectations weren't set high, they certainly were not this low. I made a last minute (day before arrival) reservation online. The rate was $120+tax (it was worth 1/3 of that!) When I arrived in the early evening, the check in door was locked so I drove to the end of the strip of buildings because I'd seen a housekeeper there. She was courteous & advised me to try an alternate door in the back, I did & I was able to get to the reception desk to check in. Received 2 keys altho I said I was alone but they didn;t help me to enter my room: neither worked! A gentleman even noticed my struggles & tried to help but, alas! He told me, "The keys don't work." Went back to the desk & received new keys . . . finally got into my room. Dismal describes it well. The furniture, lighting & bathroom were old/ancient. Does anyone recall the time when lodging had a special slot to deposit used razor blades? This place had it. The tissue box was empty. The bed was not particularly comfortable but (thin mattress) but it wasn't lumpy. Pros: air conditioner worked (albeit loudly); microwave & refrigerator in room; newer TV. It was odd that the wallpaper & the curtains on the sliding door were newer. The chairs were tattered & stained. The door had 3 locks; 2 were shoddy, 1 was a deadbolt. But, the door was also shoddy; looked like it could be kicked in without much effort & I could see the outside light along the frame. Since nothing else but woods & roads were nearby, I did not leave the room 'til the next morning when I stopped at the reception area to check the breakfast offerings (some fruit, cereal, juice, coffee, bread, sweet rolls.) Checked out & hit the road even though I could not check into my next stop for a couple of hours & I was less than 10 miles away. I preferred to move on quickly! I would not stay here again. It was scary!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lopo
arunankola, Owner at The Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I am really sorry to hear about the way you felt about this historic place in Berkshires. We have refurbished the hotel completely but have tried to keep some of the old charm also. Balance of both Old and New. This place was established in 1930 and the management's goal is to revive the The Springs. Most of the customers like the way we have maintained it.
We take pride in providing comfortable, clean and affordable rooms in Berkshire County. Our rate is the lowest you will find around here during demand season. We may not be fancy but we are clean, comfortable and affordable place to stay as per majority of our customers.
Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these New Ashford hotels

timesleader
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is not a five or four star motel. It is mediocre lodging that’s roughly halfway between Lenox and Williamstown-that is, it’s convenient to nothing. During my stay, I checked in and then headed down Route 7 to Lenox. When I came back to the motel I discovered that the toilet seat was off its bracket. I had to fix it at midnight. Talk about gross! The room was very small and not maintained. This is another mediocre motel for which relatives write extravagant reviews (Excellent—really?) and which is not maintained by the management.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

AGM
EconoLodge The Springs
providence
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This place is a throwback to a different era of roadside hotels. Many of the fixtures and layout reminded us of a 60's hotel. That is not a bad thing. It served our need for a hotel room near Jiminy Peak.. It provided us a reasonably priced and clean room. Nothing fancy. The breakfast was the usual assortment of free breakfast food. The English muffins and bagels were Thomas's. They were quite good. The hotel is a located about 5 miles from Jiminy Peak and is convenient to other attractions in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 19, 2012

When you come upon Springs Inn Resort in the middle of nowhere you ask yourself
"what was I thinking?"
That was exactly how I felt when we drew up to the place.
We were in the area to attend the 75th Tanglewood anniversary and could not find anything closed than New Ashford so booked the closest available accomodation.
Springs Inn Resort It is not a resort or inn, just an old fashioned motel that has been refurbished.
I was pleasantly surprised to find very friendly and capable staff and a clean and quite modern room. The bathroom was immaculate and there all the sundry things you find in hotel rooms. The place was fully booked with visitors of all ages and all seemed cheerful.
The reception hall acts as the breakfast area and the decor is definately a conversation started, but if you don't care about the ambience and you like cheap this is the place for you.
Breakfast consisted of the usual continental stuff, mostly sugary cereal and goodies, nothing healthy except apples.
So, all in all if you don't care about anything except a clean room for the night this place works.

Room Tip: Not a place for a prolonged stay. One night passing through would be OK
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank usleamys
Thank you for staying with us. The Springs is a legend in Berkshire County established in 1930.
Over the years the place was neglected but the new management took over two years a go and reopened on Jan 1, 2011 after refurbishing the rooms. The place does not look that fancy from outside now as our main goal was to make the rooms comfortable first then the outer looks.

We take great pride in providing very clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation for our guests. Don't judge the book by just its cover. We will take care of the cover also soon. People come here to stay for weeks to enjoy the nature during various seasons. We are midway between MASS MoCA and Tanglewood. Our goal is to make The Springs number one place to stay in Berkshires again.

Thank you and hope to see you again.
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is an Econo-Lodge, so we did not expect luxury. However, at $120 per night, we expected an average level of maintenance. The motel is sadly run-down. Clearly, the rooms and parking lot have not been upgraded in a very long time. The room we were in was so small that the tv sat on the dresser at an odd angle, hard to view. We stayed on the lower level but there is also an upper detached level. If you stay in the upper level, there is a dangerous overgrown path to walk down or you must drive your car to get down for breakfast. Not at all convenient. The breakfast room was nice and the breakfast was continental. The pool was clean. The best part of our stay was the manager who was super friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

AGM
EconoLodge The Springs
Sudbury, MA
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Springs used to be (we're talking 1970's) a very elegant place with a renowned restaurant in a beautiful mid-century building that is now being turned into a private home. The hotel across the street is still pretty mid-century, although not that elegant. Still, at $70/night on a holiday weekend, it can't be beat. If you are looking for a romantic getaway with your spouse, this is probably not the place for you, but if you need a place to crash and want to do it economically, the hotel's name says it all. Still the rooms are very clean, if not a little cramped, and the beds comfortable, but if you're out all day like we were, it doesn't really matter. The rooms on the hill are a little more spacious and newer and feature sliders on to a balcony, so they may be a little more atmospheric. If it's raining, the lower rooms may not be the most comfortable place to hang out, although the check-in area has tables and chairs with practically floor to ceiling windows, if you are feeling claustrophobic in your room.

The hotel is in a great location if you are sightseeing around the northern Berkshires (Williamstown and North Adams), but also not too far from Pittsfield. It's on the quieter end of Route 7, but during the day motorcycles still make a lot of noise driving by. There didn't seem to be a lot of noise at night while we were sleeping, though.

A lot of people on Tripadvisor seem to be very concerned about the staff, so I must say that they were exceptionally considerate and welcoming. When we discovered that the hotel was a Choice Hotel, the woman at the front desk gladly changed my reservation to my husband's name so we could use his account number, allowing us to check out at 2:00 instead of the usual 11:00. She couldn't have been more cheerful about it.

So I kind of feel bad about steering people away from here, but it is not going to be a luxury vacation. If, on the other hand, you are going to hike or swim during the day and see a play or concert at night, it's perfectly adequate. There is a pool, which was not filled when we were there, but it is in a pretty setting if you ignore the road traffic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the hill are bigger with sliders onto balconies. They are also farther away from the road t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in North Adams
Crowne Plaza Pittsfield
Crowne Plaza Pittsfield
#4 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to The Springs Inn? Share your experiences!