“Our Special get-A-way place”

The Mill on the Floss
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

For our special occasions or for any reason this is the place to go. The atmosphere with the logged ceilings and open fireplace is hard to beat. After a delicious cocktail one has to try the crab cake app. hands down they are the best. for the main entry the rack of lamb will melt in your mouth,top your meal with one of their great desserts and coffee-------

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had an excellent meal! The service was outstanding and we sat right near a real fire place that added a nice glow to the entire experience. We has a nice table with fine linen; the wine selection was impressive and the presentation of meals was at a scale compared to NYC!

Our waitress was very understanding and she even took time to explain the history of the building (over 100 years old). The wooden beams were all varnished and it looked beautiful.

BOTTOM LINE: a great restaurant that delivers good value in a fine dining environment!!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I took my spouse here for dinner to celebrate our 10th anniversary on Saturday (early November 2012) night based on recommendations here and elsewhere. We were visiting the area and this was our first visit.

I was somewhat disappointed based on my expectations, which were high, based on price (dinner for 2, including wine and tip was approx $175) and other recommendations.

This restaurant is clearly an old favorite for many, but we found it a bit dated. Cuisine is very traditional french/continental. Well cooked and attractive on the plate, but doesn't measure up to the best in the area. We had a stunning meal the night before at Mezze just up the road- which was slightly cheaper, and far superior in all respects I would have to say.

I had escargots (pretty good) and sweatbreads (also pleasant,lightly breaded, caper sauce), but neither were remarkable or out of sight delicious.

Service was ok, but many of the servers were very young and inexperienced, and there wasn't the sort of polish one expects for this level of $.

Anyone who is a foodie would be well advised to skip in search of more innovative and adventurous fare. Felt like the kind of place that will please traditionalists and those who haven't been to France in 30 years. Doubtless some love knowing exactly what they will find here year after unchanging year, but when compared with the competition, I would suggest the Mill is lagging and needs to rethink.

The decor is rustic and charming, but we did not find the romantic setting promised or that other reviewers have described. While the lighting was certainly dim (a candle and very few lights), and the fire was pleasant enough (we asked to be seated next to it 3 weeks in advance, and ended up close but not next to it), it was rather low, and it was hard to see the menu or our notes. But worst of all was the loud and obnoxious table of young college men (presumably from Williams) with a couple of adults. Practically yelling throughout the evening, most distracting and hardly romantic. Table next to us had their toddler - he was very well behaved, but since our kids were at home with a sitter, wasn't exactly thrilled to be next to theirs.

In short, given my expectations of a top notch, romantic dinner to celebrate a significant anniversary (which is how many have described, and lauded, this venerable restaurant), I must say that I was rather disappointed. Next time, I would go back to Mezze in a flash.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Any restaurant that can serve sweetbreads which melt in your mouth, and do so in a perfectly exquisite setting, rates the highest praise from this reviewer. The Mill on the Floss has been our favorite anniversary spot for years. Tonight we brought some friends who had never been. The food, as always, was incredible, from the Sweetbreads to the salmon, veal, and pork, fresh vegetables and yummy desserts. We were seated in front of a very nice fire, and loved every minute of it. I can't wait for our next anniversary.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I recently had dinner at the mill on the floss in the Bershires. It is an outstanding restaurant--my wife described it as "perfect". The ambience is country french, rustic but elegant. The chef is excellant, our meals (pork medallions and rack of lamb) were both expertly prepared and delicious. The staff is courteous and attentive. It was amazing to us how quiet it was, as we were the only ones in the dining room when we arrived, which made it even more special for us.
If you're in the Bershires--find your way to this restaurant--you will not be disappointed!