“oasis in a storm” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“oasis in a storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were without electricity due to H. Sandy. After 2 days & no end in sight to when electricity would be restored, we checked into the Sheraton Needham Hotel. The staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. They put a large refrigerator in our room so that we could bring the food from home & prevent spoilage. The room tho small was very comfortable. The bed was great, a king-size. We did not eat dinner in the hotel I did have breakfast before work & nothing special but good. They gave me complimentary WiFi.
Best part of this whole experience was the hotel staff. When we did get electricity the next day, they allowed us to check out late & only charged us the 1 day rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gurki S, General Manager at Sheraton Needham Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Edward,

Loosing electricity is tough especially when not knowing for how long. I am glad we were able to offer some comfort during this stressful time. I have a great team and I am glad you got to experience their enthusiastic & dedicated efforts first hand.

Gurki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lyme, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Quiet, clean, apparently recently refurbished. Wifi was free with the deal, though not always free. Continental breakfast (not free for me) was good. Nice staff. Enough power outlets. LED lighting in the room. Gym with a few ellipticals, treadmills, one exercise bike, some weights.

Only complaints: Most parking is in garage a few (cold) steps away. And the ventilation system was a little noisy, and when I turned it off it came back on a few times.

Nothing truly special, but as basic hotels go, still nice enough to get 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your great feedback in regards to your recent stay at the hotel. Since your stay, based on a lot of guest feedback we do now offer complimentary internet access in our guest rooms. Hope you will visit us again soon.

southern california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here over superbowl weekend for family event. I got in with starwood points and cash. Stayed in a regular King room that was recently decorated. There were some minor rough edges that were quickly smoothed by the staff. I read online about the problems with the room tempurature. Sure enough when I got to my room it was freezing and the heat was off. So I turned it on and called engineering because the air from the heater did not feel that hot. Eng said that the thermostat works on a 4 degree temperature differential so that I needed to turn it up significantly to get it warmer. He set it at 77 and when I came back of course it was HOT. But I managed to turn it down to 70 and had a reasonably comfortable room for the rest of the time there. My advice for people who are annoyed with the HVAC is to call engineering and have them straighten it out for you and do not be shy to move the thermometer setting back to a normal range if that is what you want.

I had dinner in the restaurant. The service was a bit slow however once the server realized I did not want to hang out indefinitely and watch the superbowl she speeded up my dinner order. I had grilled salmon which was quite good. Parking was $10 a day for the garage. Since it was snowing I was happy to have covered parking. Unlike some posts I did not find the hotel difficult to find or the parking difficult to manage.

I went to the fitness center. They had life-fitness equipment that was in good working order. One of the heaters in the gym was making a racket but maintenance came down quickly and fixed that. No stacked weights just the cardio machines, free weights and some large balls.

Overall a pretty good experience and I would consider it again if I were needing a place to stay in this area.

Room Tip: The rooms all seem pretty nice and this is a quiet area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank businesstraveller2
Dear businesstraveler2,

With 109 hotel reviews under your belt I definitely appreciate your candid review of the hotel. Being from California I am presuming you were rooting for the 49ERS, I am sorry about the loss but it was a great game. As mentioned by you the HVAC works fine in the room but we definitely could do a better job with it by having the housekeeping set it while they are cleaning the room so that you do not have to walk into a cold room. I am glad you enjoyed your meal in our new Link Cafe. Since you have family in the area I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Queens, N.Y.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I just had a lovely week-long stay at the Sheraton Needham. Since my last visit, three years ago, they've completed a multi-million dollar renovation, and it showed in the details of my room, from the new carpeting to the attractive cityscape framed artwork on the walls.

My third-floor room was clean and comfortable. I was particularly happy with the linens and comforter, which were spotless, oversized and inviting. The thermostat controls were responsive and I slept very well, despite a storm one night that had 70-mph winds. I opted for a "green" program that lets you skip daily housecleaning service in exchange for an additional 500 points in the Starwood points program. On my fourth day, I decided I did want cleaning, so I simply opted not to hang the program tag on the door, and then the room was made up when I came back.

I appreciated the attention to detail in the bathroom, especially the curved shower curtain rod, which made the bath/shower feel large.

I was there without a car, which meant I would rely at least twice a day on the hotel's shuttle service to get me to appointments a mile or so away. The pickups were always prompt and the staff was extremely agreeable about getting me where I needed to go on my schedule, even when I made bookings at the last minute.

Most notably, though, one extremely hospitable associate offered to drive me from my last appointment a mile away from the hotel, to my departing train station a good 20 minutes away. (I wasn't going to name names, but I'm reading other reviews as I write this and I see others have also singled out Ann Engel for the same thing.) That wasn't anything the hotel had an obligation to do as part of its service. It was just a real "above and beyond" measure that saved me taxi money and, to me, represents what I'll remember most about the service experience.

My reservation included access to the 5th floor club room, which offered a light American breakfast in the morning (eggs, one meat, pastries and yogurts etc) and appetizers in the evenings. I also used room service a few nights for burgers and salads. You know the room service drill: convenient, but not particularly cost-effective. Food was fresh, tasty and cooked to order; it arrived promptly.

I remember the property feeling desolate a few years ago. This time, the lobby was brimming every time I had reason to be there: brides meeting with hotel staff to discuss upcoming parties, businessmen, families, etc. I was extremely happy with my experience and look forward to staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gurki S, General Manager at Sheraton Needham Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of the hotel and services provided during your week long stay . I was glad to see you noticed the differences in the look and feel from your last visit as we are striving to reposition the hotel post an extensive complete hotel renovation. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have used the hotel over the last five years for business and pleasure. I also use the gym daily for my workouts, so I constantly in and out of the building. Even before the latest additions/improvements/upgrades, which have totally transformed the hotel for the best, I found the rooms well laid out and very comfortable. The gym has been completely transformed with the latest equipment. The front lobby has undergone a complete change and is now a great place to just relax after a long day. I have come to know several of the long time staff during the time have been using this hotel and they are always ready to help and assist with any need. For me, there is no other place to stay/do business in the Newton/Needham/Wellesley area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan L
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your glowing endorsement. In my biased opinion I do believe I have the best hotel product (definitely the newest) in the metro west area along with great staff, but it is always reassuring to get the same feedback from our guests. Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times for business. While the location isn't great for shopping, bars/restaurants etc, the actual hotel is pleasant and the recent renovation has improved the experience of staying here. My room (5th floor) was a good size, clean and modern.

The staff were all very frinedly, from the front desk to bar staff. I would like to mention one particular member of staff who took time out of her day to drive me to my office in the hotel's shuttle bus (even though this wasn't her role!) - Anne Engel. She is a true asset to Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Hope you had a safe trip back to UK. I could not agree anymore with you about Anne. She is my assistant but like everyone else here always jumping in to do whatever she needs to do take care of guest requests which sounds like in your case was the Shuttle run. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was pretty on the images I saw online. So, for my trip to Boston, I didn't know how to go to this hotel because it was hard to find. To go inside the hotel, you have to go up the hill, which is sometimes slippery. The rooms were big, comfortable.Staff was really friendly, when we had questions, she was always here to help us, she even printed out a Boston map for us, how Nice is That !! It has a shuttle bus to get you to the T train. And you can ask her to reserve a taxi for you. There was a gym at that hotel, quite big, but not enough exercise machines. There's a restaurant there, a little bit expensive but i had no choice.. the restaurants nearby were closed. But other than that, I enjoyed my stay at this Sheraton Needham !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Sounds like you had a memorable trip to Boston and enjoyed your accommodations at the Sheraton Needham. Thank you for recognizing the staff friendliness, which I truly believe is our best asset. In regards to your feedback about the F&B options and pricing we have just recently opened or Link grab & go which offers Starbucks beverages along with breakfast sandwiches, lunch salads & wraps all priced between $4-$8. Hopefully we get to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gurki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Needham
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Boston Marriott Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
The Westin Waltham-Boston

Been to Sheraton Needham Hotel? Share your experiences!