“Ants Bread and Eggplant”
Review of Spiga

Spiga
Reserve with OpenTable
Spiga is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 69 Restaurants in Needham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Highland Avenue, Next to TD Bank
Description: For nearly a decade, Spiga Ristorante served fine Italian cuisine; but in October 2017, Marisa Iocco—iconic Boston restaurateur (and the city's first and only #ExecutiveGirlChef from Italy)—transformed Spiga from satisfying to sublime, in ways diners never dreamed. Nestled in a corner of Boston’s metro-West area where four towns touch cheeks, Spiga serves stunning recreations and interpretations of regional cuisine as authentically Italian as its owners. Its lunch and dinner menus revere artisanal ingredients that illuminate Iocco’s collection of whimsical Italian recipes that honor hers and co-owner Carmelo Iriti’s heritage, and they highlight Iocco’s ability to balance flavors and textures. Spiga's dining room is sensuously cozy: Wood-adorned with sexy luxe touches that sparkle and shine, it's perfect for enjoying little-known dishes from the Abruzzo and Calabria: guazzetti (bowls of simmered stews of meat, fish); cicchetti (Italian tapas); and a robust pasta menu.
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We ate at Spiga in April 2014. After eating some of the bread my wife noticed a big black ant crawling in the bread basket. The server came over to investigate what the commotion was all about. He saw the ant picked it up with his fingers, dropped it on the floor and squashed it with his foot. He then took the bread basket away and brought us a fresh one. I was very surprised that the server did not offer an apology in fact he said nothing at all about the ant. I thought maybe the manager or chef might drop by our table to offer an apology but that was not the case. We should have walked out at that point but decided to stay. I ordered the eggplant which was in my opinion excellent yet overpriced. I did send an email to Spiga and the chef regarding our dining experience but never received a response. While I enjoyed my meal I did not enjoy the experience and would not eat at Spiga again.

5  Thank JonnyBeGood

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Wonderful Italian restaurant with great food and service. The soup of the day was amazing and the Tagliatelle all Bolognese was fantastic. Go there when you are in Needham.

1  Thank AtlTraveler152
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food at Spiga is by far the best, and most authentic Italian meal I've had. You won't find "chicken parm" or "spaghetti and meatballs". The pasta dishes are tasty and cooked perfectly. It gets quite crowded on weekends (they're closed Sundays), so I try to go there on early in the week. They have their own parking lot, and in the evening you can park in the office buildings across from the entrance if the parking is full. Overall we had a very nice experience.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Outstanding food. Superb service. Ambience was perfect. Great wine list. Could not ask for more and cannot wait to go back!!!

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here by looking for a place to eat dinner near my hotel. I was pleasantly surprised! The pappardelle Bolognese was very good and the asparagus, prosciutto, egg, cheese and shallot appetizer was Delicious. I'll be back again!