“Wow.”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
“Wow.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Enough said. The food is amazing. Vegetarian Lasauna is too die for..it isnt on the menu anymore so you must ask for it. be in the mood to eat.. Large portions..pricey but worth every penny. Great atmosphere..reminds me of a scene in the movie "No Reservations"..Take out is great too..

Only things..cash only and no dessert (no worries you wont have room)!

• Visited December 2011

South Shore, MA
“Trying to get a reservation for this place is like getting into the White House.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Sweet Basil is an alright Italian meal in beautiful downtown Needham. I really would be giving it 5 stars..But, to get a table in this place is like getting into the freaking White House! We had 8 people on a Thursday night and were coming over from the South Shore. They do NOT take reservations..So good luck trying to get into this place. I came an hour early to make sure the group could get in. I definitely have better things to do than sit outside for an hour to make sure my group gets a table. It would have been wonderful if I could have made a reservations.

Also, Sweet Basil does not have any coffee or desserts. Do not plan on staying for something sweet after your meal.. I do not like how you are charged a $5.00 cork fee PER bottle of wine either. We had three bottles and we were charged $15.00 for all three. A bit steep I would think...

I think it's a bit steep that they tack on a 20% tip for the waitress for 8 people..HMMM..I thought the standard for MA is 15%!! They must really think they do an outstanding job here at Sweet Basil. My Chicken Parm was pretty good. Nothing so spectacular that I saw fireworks and would be rushing back next week. They do have a very good pesto oil for the bread I must say. But..They really do have to do something about this reservation rule!!!

• Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“The best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great food, atmosphere and affable owner/chef.

We have eaten there for years,fantastic food, as good as most anything in the North end and better than many.
Dave the owner like to mingle it up with the patrons and he's a riot. Friendly and down to earth, definitely not a snootily elitist.
Highly recommended. Also, huge portions and reasonable prices.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank sjsherman
The Americas
“Credit to your tastebuds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

No, they do not take credit cards, but there is an ATM accross the street. The food is so good that it really doesn't matter. Service is not that good, but with such excellent fare, who needs it. We had the braised chicken with homemade fusilli made with port wine and stewed tomatoes, the three cheese really big ravioli and the lemon infused roasted corn agnoloti. Everything was succulent! They serve a great pesto to shmear with your bread. The salads looked great too. Servings are generous and prices are at the high end for such a small neighborhood place but at par with the cost for similar dishes at the "famous" gourmet Italian eateries. This is a "must go" if you are visiting colleges in Boston. Kudos to the chef!

• Visited September 2012
“How sweet it is!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We love Sweet Basil! We have been going ever since it was a tiny eight table hole in the wall. The food is always out of this world delicious (must love garlic), the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful and the owner and head chef is a smart, funny, talented man who truly enjoys both cooking and interacting with his clients. We love the fact that it is a BYOB and being a cash only establishment translates to lower prices for all of the mouthwatering, huge portion sized dishes. Among our favorites; bolognese, osso bucco, calamari, mussels, Greek salad and of course the pesto. I am getting hungry just thinking about the food. No reservations coupled with no bar is a bit sad but it has never kept us away and hopefully it will keep some folks at home making our wait that much shorter!