“A hidden gem in the burbs” 5 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
TU Y YO
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Excellent authentic Mexican cuisine. No tacos or burritos. Frienly service, reasonable prices
Needham, Massachusetts
“A hidden gem in the burbs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and I have been to Tu Y Yo twice now and loved it. It is tucked away on a side street a couple of blocks off the center of town. Regrettably, the location makes it hard to notice, but we are really glad we finally discovered it. The Mexican food is authentic and well prepared. The decor is nice but unpretentious, and the food is outstanding! The carne asada is amazing and comes with generous helpings of plaintain, black beans, guacomole etc. There is also a full bar, and the service is friendly. Muy bueno!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Herb W

Boston, Massachusetts
“Delightful Gourmet Mexican for a Special Treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Don't go here looking for burritos because you won't find them on the menu. The culinary delights offered on the beautiful tooled leather menu are described as "pre-Hispanic" recipes. The owner told us that this menu is different than the one in Somerville. A waiter will make your scrumptious guacamole table side, and you could eat it with the warm salsa chips or tortillas. The shrimp dishes are pretty good, as is the green mole fish, but my absolute favorite Mexican meal is Chicken Mole. Years ago, I had it at a restaurant where it was prepared with an entire chicken leg (dark meat is my favorite). But since that time, on the rare menu where I could find it, Mole has been served with boneless breast. Often, the white meat is dried out, and the 18 ingredient sauce is usually too heavy on one ingredient, but here at Tu Y Yo, the chicken mole was prepared PERFECTLY! The chicken was moist and beautifully enhanced by the mole sauce. Since we had appetizers and yummy margaritas (regular, on the rocks, no salt), I was able to bring home half of my ample portion to eat for lunch the next day! My friend brought home half her gigantic shrimp dinner. Our husbands were equally satisfied, and we're talking of returning soon. The prices are fair for the area, but it's a great night out for a delicious dinner.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Traditional, Gourmet Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful meal at Tu y Yo in Needham. The menu is very different from other mexican restaurants in the area. They offer many pre-spanish indigenous mexican dishes as well. We ordered the civeche and then had a pork dish with peanut sauce. It was delicious. They also have more common Mexican restaurant dishes, like fish tacos, quesadillas and empanadas. I would suggest it to those who love authentic mexican or simply like good food!

• Visited January 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Authentic Mexican Around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were excited to come upon Tu Y Yo last year and have been there a few times. The food is authentic and delicious, service friendly and drinks are yummy as well. It is never packed when we are there but they always have enough tables where it does seem busy.

I am not a fan of some of the Mexican chain restaurants with their sour mix margaritas, so I was thrilled to find Tu Y Yo. The dinner dishes are comparable to other restaurants in Needham.. an entree is anywhere between $15-$25. The guacamole is always a good way to start. Every time I go, I get the mole poblano. My husband always gets some sort of beef and is never disappointed. This place is a part of the slow food movement so you will never feel rushed or feel that the food is ever thrown together.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Needham, Massachusetts
“And now for something completely different....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

Several years ago, we discovered the Somerville location of Tu y Yo and were won over by its truly unique cuisine. When Tu Y Yo opened in Needham we were thrilled. This food is most definitely NOT the typical Tex Mex fare. While many dishes are served with delicious rice and beans, the entrees offer some novel ingredients that provide a unique and tasty dining experience. The vegetarian Crepas with ingredients like black corn mushrooms and cactus blossoms are wonderful. The variety is excellent and it is hard to go wrong here. A gem in the suburbs!

• Visited November 2011