“Horrible Place run by a jerk”

Petit Robert Bistro Needham
Reserve with OpenTable
Petit Robert Bistro Needham is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Needham
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highland Avenue
Transit: Needham
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Petit Robert Bistro on 45 Chapel Street in Needham is a terrible restaurant run by a horrible man named Jay Spencer who has no clue about customer service. I made a reservation at this restaurant for Valentine’s Day and when we got there (on time) we were led to a table that was practically in front of the kitchen. There were a few other open tables at the restaurant in a better location so we asked to be seated at one of them but we were told by Mr. Spencer that they were reserved… Well, I made the point that I also had a reservation and this wise guy (again, the OWNER) said that we need to have a party of four to sit at one of these tables. We chose to accept the crappy table he offered us but then a few minutes later another couple came in and were seated at the exact table that we were told was reserved for four. I called Mr. Spencer to protest this and he gave me an attitude as if he has the right to decide who seats were at his restaurant and he then said that if I don’t like it I can go eat elsewhere… So we walked out of the restaurant and went to eat elsewhere. What a jerk, as if he owns the last restaurant in the Boston area.

As far as I’m concerned I am never going to set a foot at that restaurant again and will go out of my way to make sure that others won’t either.

3  Thank dshimoni

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We went as a large group for lunch, and the service was great. The food was good, not the best ever, but good, but the prices were a little high, especially for lunch. I would go back, but probably for dinner on a special occasion. I had the salmon, which was good, but the steak frites looked really good.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The nuts and bolts of this review is that the food is very good albeit a little pricey, on a busy day, it is cramped, and noisy.

That being said, we have been to the restaurant several times since it opened. I have no issues with the food or bar, but if you go on Friday or Saturday night, it can feel "overly" crowded with your felling like you can be part of the next table's conversation. That was an issue last time and we haven't been back for almost a year. We do live in town (Needham), so we probably will explore it again, but on a less busy night. When we have gone on non-weekend nights, the experience is much more pleasurable as far atmosphere/ambiance.

Wait staff was attentive and the service was reasonably quick.

Don't know if I'd highly recommend for the above reasons, but on the right night, your experience can be quite pleasant and the food is very good. However, It is one of the more pricey restaurants in town.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love everything about this place, including the prices. They're obviously talented in the kitchen, and the service was prompt and friendly. You won't find a burger here, but classic French style food from including tripe and Foie Gras dishes.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I should have listened to other reviewers and skipped dinner at Petit Robert Needham, but, unfortunately, I decided to give it a try anyways. As many others pointed out, ambiance/decor is lacking and food was nothing special. The only real pro was the attentive wait staff, but it really doesn't make up for all the other things this restaurant lakcs. Also, I could do without the hostess/wait staff greeting in French. Sadly, we probably won't be back.

1  Thank MSM1685