“Apple-gasmic? I want to learn.”
Review of Lookout Farm

Lookout Farm
Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Natick
More attraction details
Owner description: Belkin Family Lookout Farm is a fun place to visit and is one of the oldest continuously working farms in the U.S. Ride the train and pick your own fruit from mid-summer through the fall - peaches, apples, Asian pears. From May - Oct, families can also enjoy the Children's Play Area, moonbounce, caterpillar rides and more. Weekends include live children's entertainment, face painting and other fun things. Petting zoo and camel rides are available Sept - Oct.
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I went to the farm 2 years ago with my daughter - cool for her. Last year there was a line and wait so long, I left. This year, I went to "Other" Farms and had an "O" when I was told that the day would be less than $100, second "O" when I got good fruit without a train ride, #3 for the doughnuts and #4 for friendly staff. Thanks Bonnie May!

Comedy aside, my MBA from a top 10 school has left me envious of their ability to annually fleece the public despite the reviews. I attempt similar business models with moderate success and am returning to Lookout to gain additional insight. LOOKOUT!!!

5  Thank helpfulharry27

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I went with my kids and a friend and her kid to pick fruit. We were told they were open for picking 2 summer fruits and 3 different apples that day. The plums were all wrinkled on the vines so I would call those prunes and no nectarines were on the trees. We had the same experience when we went down the apple rows. There was not one apple even on the trees. When we were leaving we complained and they said they would open more rows. Next time I would go to an orchard that doesn't charge a cover charge and has fruit on their trees.

6  Thank MaSunseeker
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I can't express how appalled I was by my visit today to Lookout Farm. I live in the general area but had not been for close to 10 years. We were looking for an apple picking orchard that had a few extras to entertain the kids, and headed to Lookout. I did not check prices on their website -- big mistake!! -- since most orchards around here don't charge admission. It cost my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young children) $52 dollars to get in. $52 for admission alone!!! The children's play area is fine, but it's nothing all that special. It's basically an average playground with animal rides (which cost extra money), a maze, and a hay pyramid thrown in. We picked a few bags of apples and went to pay, and got the second big shock of the day. $78 for apples! Their U-pick prices are $2.50 a pound, which is highway robbery. We blame ourselves for not checking prices before we went, but Lookout is off the charts, outrageously expensive. Much more costly than other area orchards, and there's absolutely no New England charm to it -- just a money machine. Avoid at all costs.

5  Thank Clarkthehorse
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Weekends 14 bucks for adults, 12 bucks for kids (even a 4 yr old). Pick your own fruit an additional $2.50lb, 17 apples cost us 18 bucks (same apples 77cents per LB at grocery store). Pony rides an additional 5 bucks each. (Apparently you pay 12 bucks for kids to get the privelage to pick their own apples at a price that you need to take out a second morgtgage for, but doesn't include cheap walk in a circle pony ride) Bad magician. Childrens play area is a barely above average playground you can find in most neighborhoods for free. Apple crisp mix in the barn $2.99, same one $1.49 in the grocery store. Can't bring in any food or drinks to have at picnic tables. The only I can say is "thank you sir may I have another!" Rip-off!!

5  Thank Fredguy1
Reviewed September 13, 2009

First off: the other reviews that mention how expensive Lookout Farm is are absolutely correct. There's an admission fee for adults of $14 each, and children over 2 years pay $12. Then the "u-pick" fruit is $2.50/lb. The concessions at the kids' stop are, again, expensive. Then finally, the barn shop at the end of the day has lots of pricey foods to buy and take home, such as apple pies, jarred vegetables and preserves, and cider donuts at $1 apiece.

That said, the rest of the experience is just fine. We went on a Sunday and arrived at around 11AM, no real crowds. The train ride under the grape vines is a nice break from walking under the hot sun while you're picking your apples, pears, plums, and peaches. The kids' area has lots of things to keep the kids amused, including farm animals and the caterpillar ride (a mini tram just for kids). The caterpillar ride and face painting are just about the only things that are free at the farm. Mike the Music Man performed kid-friendly songs three times around the lunch hour and early afternoon, and listening was also free.

As far as the fruit goes, there was a nice variety of apples and other fruits to choose from, and if you went to a spot that was picked over, you just walked a few dozen yards in any direction and you could find trees filled with good, ripe fruit. The farm's claim that they're the only farm in the northeast to grow Asian pears seems plausible, though I don't know if it's true or not. But again, all the fruit is expensive ($2.50/lb.)

If you're looking for an inexpensive place to kill an hour with the kids, this is not the place to go. Plan to spend around $75 for a family of 4 for the whole experience (admission, some picked fruit, lunch, and a couple of snacks from the barn at the end)

2  Thank 9-3Fan

Been to Lookout Farm? Share your experiences!