“Group Dinner - Terrible Service”
Review of Morse Tavern

Morse Tavern
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Natick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked the function room for a group of 40-50 for dinner last Saturday night. They had plenty of time to ensure that they had adequate staff for this event and they cut down the menu for us to ~1/3 the normal restaurant menu. Based on my experience (and info from another friend who sat at another table) I suggest AVOIDING this place for any large groups!! Three of the four of us at my table were served our meals, our waitress walked by (as did other staff) more than 6 times and never stopped to ask if everything was OK or to explain why I never got served my meal. It wasn't until 30 minutes later when she was clearing our table and my Wife asked her why I didn't get my meal (fish & chips) . . . then it took another 15 minutes before it arrived. BTW, my clam chowder was served with the rest of the appetizers at our table . . . it was luke warm but I decided to just eat it . . . good thing or I'd probably still be waiting for it.

Last night I verified with another friend who sat at another table and told me that their waitress took 2 orders and walked away . . . she had to be called back to the table and reminded to take the other 2 people's orders!

Of the three tables within easy eyesight (I had nothing better to do for an hour+), I noted that no one was asked if they wanted ketchup (many ordered fish & chips) or steak sauce (someone at our table ordered steak tips). In each case a customer had to specifically ask for it or they didn't get it. If you wanted another drink you had to flag down the waitress as she buzzed by the table, they never asked.

Now given the above experience I can tell you that I'm one of 8-12 people who usually just drop into Morse Tavern unannounced one weeknight/month for the past 2 years and we've been accommodated much better each time than the experience with a reservation for a large group. The food is decent, but their service for a large group is pitiful. I spoke with the manager Saturday night and expressed my displeasure, he apologized and comped my meal but as I told him it should never have happened and I would reflect my experience accordingly.

2  Thank Len S
There are newer reviews for Morse Tavern

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I recently went with a few friends on a week night to play trivia. The servers were nice and pretty attentive. Somebody in my group ordered a special of the night, and it took a really long time for the kitchen to tell us that they were out and he had to choose something else. We normally wouldn't mind, but it took forever to get our food after that and the rest of our group's came out burned. I'd still give them another chance, since the not-burned food was delicious and everyone was so nice.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been to the Tavern many times, and I usually am happy with the food. However, the past two times I've been there, I was disappointed with several of my favorites food items. I used to love the Caesar Salad here, but the Tavern has changed its Caesar dressing to a thin, runny, and tasteless liquid that almost made me gag. I got the Fish' n Chips, and the plate had an overwhelming amount of fried onion rings, and the french fries were too greasy. The fish was fresh, however, and tasty. My friend had a tuna sandwich, and he said that the tuna was swimming in mayonnaise and dripped out the side of his sandwich. I don't know if the Tavern had a different cook than usual (we went there mid-afternoon), but this last visit will make me think twice about going back again.

1  Thank YankeeVisitor_11
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been a few times in the past couple of years. I always eat in the bar. It is basically a local sports bar with good food. I like the grilled lamb tip salad. Decent selection of beer. Staff has always been very professional. Great place for a casual meal.

The only downside it is very popular. Some nights it is hard to find a seat.

2  Thank TiredOldSkier
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We're accustomed to a fried onion appetizer with the onions piled high. Not at the Morse Tavern -- it looked more like an entree side. Speaking of which...my turkey club plate was dominated by an ordinate amount of french fries. I shared them with my two dinner mates, and there were still plenty left for me.

1  Thank douell0001