“Just not the same since Sang left”

Ten-Ichi Dynamic Kitchen and Bar
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston
“Just not the same since Sang left”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

For almost 1/2 yeras, I considered Ten-Ichi heaven and earth for eclectic sushi and I no longer had to drive to Boston! Once Sang left, it went to boring basic not so fresh fish. Sang would go to the fish market and hand pick the fish and make such creative servings, entertaining all of us Sushi fanatics. I miss him and going to miss Ten-Ichi so much, but the last time I went (giving it a chance after Sang and his team left), I was so grossly disappointed all around, I will never go back. My 4 star (2012) has gone down to 2. If you look at all their 4 star rating all but three were in 2012 and later. Kind of shows the sadness that is happening there. Too bad, but I guess nothing is forever.

• Visited June 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Avoid at any cost. Noisy, non-fresh food, rude owner, unfriendly waiter, dirty restrom”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Worst kind of restaurant. Deliberately lied to and mislead customer, rude owner, non-fresh food, stinky rest room.
It is the worst restaurant I have ever been to.
Food is expensive for its portion and quality. $30 hot pot is not enough for an adult and additional order of small plate of vegetable is another $5, $6.
After eating there, I had diarrhea for several days. I think it is because the sea food it serves is not fresh, so I had a food poison. I never had diarrhea from hot pot before.
The waitress/waiters are all cold faced without any smile. Only asking several times, they come to refill the water.
The bath room is dirty and stinky. The faucet handles are covered with lime and water stain. I wonder if they ever clean it.
And the owner, the worst. Arrogant to customer, trade them like second class citizen. They lied to customer. I called to confirm a discount beforehand and got positive reply from reservation that it applies. When we get there, we asked and got confirmation again from the reservation people that it should work without any problem. But the bill came, it had no discount. We argued, the owner is so pleased to tell us that “I am the owner. I say that it doesn’t apply. It doesn’t apply. I don’t care what the reservation said. Screw you !!!”.
Have you ever met a restaurant owner who treated customer like this? It is unbelievable! It is such a shame!

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank szhou008
Hudson, Massachusetts
“If you are Asian, you will get GREAT service...”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you aren't you may have to wait... a bit, you will get ignored, and they could care less, because you are NOT the clientelle they care about. BUT the dim sum any day of the week is REALLY GOOD, sushi is ok and the pad thai and noodle dishes as well as the hot pot soup are worth going for.

But service for the mainstream hispano, white, or simply NOT Asian, is hit and miss. One lunch we had a GREAT server and the next day I bring business associates, and we were ignored for a good 20 minutes. Fortunately we had business to conduct (and know they were NOT letting us be because we were talking, this is NOT the first time that has happened to us...) and it was worth waiting for the food.

Wellesley, MA
“Bad Manager, Strike Two”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Reading the other recent review after a bad experience tonight, i have to call "Strike Two". We arrived with a party of 6 with a Groupon ($85 for "party of 4 or more"). Server informed us that we must be 4 adults "over 13" to use it. We had 3 adults and 3 children, oldest is ten. We said Groupon offer did not have that restriction; only on party size. (I double checked after I came home). We asked to see the manager. We didn't ask for his name, but it must have been Martin. He argued with us that it was restaurant policy. We said that the three kids more than equal to one adult's food capacity, and we would order much more than $85 worth of food and drinks. No, said Martin. We said the kid is almost 13 anyway; he said, "prove-it". Martin continued to say, with all righteousness, "We had turned away other customers in same situation, We didn't make any exception to them. Why should we make exception for you?" Well, that is why this review has no score on food - we got up and left. Want hotpot? Go to the grand daddy of hotpot dining in Boston - "Shabu-Zen". Want sushi? Go to Oga nearby. Want an argument and attitude with Manager? Go to Tenichi.

4 Thank Douglas L
Weston, Massachusetts
“Bad service and manager has very bad attitude”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Never wast your money and time in this place, the food is mediocre to bad, but worst of all is the manager Martin, he does not have the restaurant's best interest in his mind, he wants to show the customer that you are wrong and he is Mr. Right, he will argue with you for hours about some minor details until your dinner is ruined then you will see little smug on his face as he walk away.

2 Thank Wei W