TripAdvisor

The Alvah Stone
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Montague
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Alvah Stone is an authentic American restaurant and bar open in the historic Montague Bookmill. Our space is a comfortable neighborhood joint with strong ties to the community and to local farms. Our goal is simplicity executed perfectly.
Reviewed June 28, 2019

My daughter's wedding was recently held at The Alvah Stone. It was a Saturday daytime lunch wedding and was a beautiful day in every way. The weather, the food, the drinks, the service, the location, atmosphere and ambiance were perfect. All the guests had a wonderful time and we would highly recommend having a wedding at The Alvah Stone. Thank you to all!

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (148)

Reviewed June 25, 2019

We stopped here for dinner while visiting nearby Historic Deerfield and very happy with our experience. The location next to a rushing stream is simply beautiful. The food, which was primarily small plates, was exceptional. None of the dishes we ordered was ordinary. Each was interesting and excellent. The service was very good, personable, well-informed, unobtrusive - in shot, ideal. We will happily return the next time we are in the area!

Date of visit: June 2019
RothsteinJohn, Manager at The Alvah Stone, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2019

Michael,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback. We are always trying to do our best for our guests.

We can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed June 21, 2019

After spending over an hour meandering through the Bookmill, my wife and I stopped for lunch at The Alvah Stone.

The attraction was the deck overlooking the Sawmill River. Beautiful spot for lunch on a late spring afternoon with the sun shining overhead.

We were lucky to find a table for two on the deck. The river was raging below and we had a perfect view as well. No alcohol with an hour & half drive home. Diet cokes & water were just fine.

We first ordered marinated mushrooms which were delivered quickly. They were spicy hot but not too hot for either of us. They went quickly as they were very tasty.

For lunch, my wife ordered a hamburg with cheddar, mayo, onion jam lettuce on an english muffin. I ordered BBQ Pork sandwich with Carolina bbq, cole slaw & pickles.

Unfortunately the wait for the food was unusually long. It must have been 45-60 minutes before the food arrived. the restaurant was not too busy to warrant such a long wait. I saw others too asking the waiter where their meal was?

it finally arrived after two more water refills and another soft drink. The food was good My wife's burger with the jam was different & juicy. My pork with the Carolina BBQ sauce was tasty.

I recommend the Alvah Stone for the beautiful deck on the water. The food was better than average. But the long wait put a damper on the occasion. I also thought the price was high for a hamburger & pork sandwich. I guess the deck & river made it worth it.

Paul,

Thank you very much for your feedback and experience. Your information has been passed on to all parties in order to become a better business.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 15, 2019

Sometimes you're really hungry and you just have what you can get. Sometimes dining is simply pleasant and you think, 'this is nice. I hope the chef gets a lot of compliments for doing a good job.'

And then sometimes you stumble into an extraordinary experience that you're unlikely to forget anytime soon. Sometimes you sit at your table and wonder, 'could it be that the chef needs a personal assistant who wants to learn how make that eggplant dish? I could work without pay here for a year or so, especially if I can get my meals at work. And hey! I have a kid. I could throw him into the deal to paint the building, work on the roof, or shovel snow from the parking lot during the season.'

I'm not kidding (except about the "kid" part). This restaurant was just the right choice in just the right place, with just the right food.

We had the "Alvah Feast" which simply means that the staff will assemble your meal for you, choosing dishes that complement one another. It was a good decision to ask for that.

As delicious courses arrived, one after another, we found ourselves pausing and wondering how we got so lucky on this particular evening.

The next time we visit, it won't be luck. We'll be arriving on purpose, probably with our (very best) friends in tow.

I'm certain they won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: June 2019
RothsteinJohn, Manager at The Alvah Stone, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2019

We can't thank you enough for the very kind words.

Our team is amazing and really try to be the best each and everyday.

Let us know your next plans and we'll make sure we have plenty of room for you are your friends!

Reviewed April 27, 2019

Cute restaurant at an old grist mill by a white water stream. Unusual cuisine somewhat similar to tapas presentation, with small plates of a variety of well-prepared foods. However, the plates are priced just below that of an equivalent entree, & to have a full meal, you will need to order about 3 plates per person. The resulting cost is about double that of a full service restaurant of equivalent food quality. Very attentive service. I'd recommend for a special occasion but not as an evening out.

Date of visit: April 2019

Thank You for the feedback.

We are always trying to be better and definitely listen to our guests in order to make this happen.

Your feedback has been addressed by all.

We hope to see you again in the near future.