Plaza Azteca
Ranked #14 of 122 Restaurants in Methuen
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Just ate there and I'd like to review it. Could not find it on your list of restaurants. Thank you.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love Mexican food and frequently eat at local Mexican restaurants when I travel to Texas and Arizona, which is every year. I had never eaten at Plaza Azteca before and I didn't know it was a chain. I stopped for lunch, ordering the Speedy lunch, which consists of one beef enchilada and one beef taco, plus your choice or refried beans or rice. I chose the beans. The beef was very tender, but other than that I was disappointed by the lack of real Mexican taste in any part of the plate. Everything had too much salt, which I must admit is my most frequent complaint about eating out. I don't know why chefs can't use less salt, especially in view of the effect excess sodium has on blood pressure. Once the salt is in, you can't take it out, but you can always add it at the table. I will continue my crusade every time I encounter this problem! The best food item was the basket of tortilla chips, which were thin and crunchy and saltless! Alas, the salsa to go with them was not the freshly made type and had too much tomato sauce. It did have a bit of a bite. The interior and ambience were very Spanish colonial and booths gave a sense of privacy. The background music was some kind of Spanish pop, and very annoying.

1  Thank Buthraupis

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had tried many times to get in this restaurant at night and were always stopped by the long waits. My wife and I decided to try lunch on a Monday afternoon and there was no wait at all. The service was pleasant and attentive and the lunch menu was extensive and priced at around 6 to 7 dollars per meal. We ordered the guacamole which is prepared at the table and it was delicious. My wife and both ordered from the dinner menu because we wanted to try the fish tacos. Each meal had three tacos made with grilled mahi and a side of rice. The tacos were very good as was the rice and each meal was 12 dollars and worth every bit of it. I would definitely return to this place if I can ever get in again.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Off flavors, rushed staff, non-descript meals, rice was undercooked and hard, etc. Plenty of parking in this Methuen / Salem NH line location. This place is proof that you can't have a great looking building and expect the food to be the same. A chain, with the chain mentality. The manager actually came over to our table and said we should have tried some of the specials of the house...which we did...just a few ingreedents per each meal, no real flavor...kind of an Ortega taco kind of place. Surprizingly on a saturday night it's hopping full of people. I suspect one night pneys, we certianly wont be back, ther quite simply isn't enough reason to pas by other local places to visit this place again. If you find yourself saying this review dosent really say anything about the food it's because there is so little to say about it!

2  Thank Chrisz5451
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The converted former Uno's space has an over-the-top decor, with some of the most generous booths in the industry, giving the customer the feeling of privacy in the middle of an open-concept dining room. The food is so fresh, one would never, ever think this is "Mexican." - It actually redefines what Mexican food is, in my opinion. The portions are incredibly generous and the taste of every single thing we had was out of this world. - Don't get shocked by the slightly high price of freshly made guacamole at your table, it is worth it. - The combination sampler is easily shared by two, or a feast for one that will leave you filled for the entire day. Prompt, courteous service and incredible food. What's not to like?

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We started going to Plaza Azteca shortly after they opened. They give you chips, salsa and a mexican mayonnaise spice mix for a dip. Their burrito plates are enormous. The service and the good is great.