“Thank's to Obama it owes it's fame”

The Beach Plum Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Menemsha
Cuisines: Fujian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Road
Transit: Vineyard Transit Authority public buses travel directly past the Inn daily along North Road with regularly scheduled stops at the Menemsha Public Beach and Chilmark Community Center
Description: A Beach Plum Wedding is know for unfussy but delicious, thoughtful food sourced from the woods and surrounding waters of Martha's Vineyard. We rely on the tight-knit island community of farmers, fisherman, herdsman and family members for the perfect ingredients to make your wedding unforgettable.
Mexico City, Mexico
“Thank's to Obama it owes it's fame”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Yes, Obama (who cares), had dinner in this beautiful little restaurant.
The quality of the food is very good. The best bet is to sit inside (not terrace), next to the window.
The menu is a short selection of dishes all magnificently well presented.
I enjoyed it for dinner with wife and 2 teens. One of the best in the Island.

• Visited November 2012

“So Disappointing!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I ate dinner at The Beach Plum Restaurant last week. We were very much looking forward to it, having canceled reservations elsewhere on the recommendation of a friend and, well, quite frankly, the Obama's. If the President ate there, it must be good, right? Well, maybe it was for his party but it was so disappointing for us.

First the good --- the dining room is a beautiful space with floor to ceiling windows overlooking a cut-out in the brush, perfectly framing a view of Menemsha Harbor. But we were there for the food, and Chef Chris Fischer came highly recommended.

Our appetizers were good, not great. I had the chicken liver crostini which was tasty but overpriced at $11.00 considering it was a thinly spread pate over one small slice of toasted bread. My wife had a special salad including plums, plum tomatoes, and goat cheese over seasonal greens --- enjoyable.

Our entrees were disappointing. I had the yellow fin tuna which was fine but completely unremarkable. My wife had the scallops with wild rice and prosciutto. The scallops were overdone; the wild rice was pan seared to the point where it was so hard my wife feared she would break a tooth; the prosciutto resembled a strip of uncooked bacon, plopped on the plate. When our very pleasant server asked how we were enjoying our meals, my wife pointed out the above to which our server remarked in what may have been a summer's worth of a well-rehearsed response, "well, I hope you enjoy your meals." What? We just told you it was bad.

There was no attempt to make it right. With no espresso/cappucino available and a very limited set of dessert options, we took our unopened, second bottle of BYOB wine and headed back to our Inn to enjoy the rest of our evening and to look forward to the next day.

P.S. The following day we attended Martha's Vineyard's first hosting of Outstanding in The Field -- a traveling farm to table foodie event that hosts more than 80 meals at farms around the country. Friends have attended and raved about past events. We had a great time; the people are amazing, the setting beautiful, and the wine and evening overall -- fantastic. There was only one problem. The guest chef they had lined up had to back out so at the last minute, they got...you guessed it --- Chris Fischer. Oh my. The salad and wood grilled vegetables were perfectly done. The heaping plate of lamb seemed to be completely oblivious to the fact that it had been prepared by a decorated chef. And the dessert, whole plums accompanied by bowls of yougurt, confirmed for us that Mr. Fischer doesn't put much time into thinking about his desserts.

We will definitely look forward to becoming regulars at future Outstanding in the Field events. As for the Beach Plum restaurant, we will only eat there on the same night the President does. I mean, it must be good then, right?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank travelreviewer8650
New Rochelle, New York
“Great food, beautiful view”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Loved the food and view and fellow diners at the common table. A bit expensive, but it's the vineyard.

Visited August 2013
rhode island
“wish I had read trip advisor before I made a reservation. Blah,blah, blah!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Last year was a good experience, so I just made a reservation for our anniversary. I did not like the decor when I walked in. The waitress was very good.She gave voluminous explanations of the food. But when the food arrived, it was totally bland and disappointing. Thankfully, we had a bottle of wine to make the meal bearable. What is going on?? Are there no spices or herbs available to the "chef".?? I had a head cheese sort of appetizer which did not get any applause. My husband had some unrecognizable greens with roasted farro. Bland, bland, Blah! I ordered black sea bass. It was supposed to come with butter nut squash and mint. It came with creamed corn and yellow squash which had no flavor at all. The fish was served whole without flavor. My husband ordered fluke which he said was salty. It had the same corn milky stuff with it. The dessert was upside down cake which was dry.
When going to a restaurant, you expect to say,"Wow, that was delicious!", "This is different!", "Mmmm good". But there is nothing to say except , "The sunset was amazing!" The bill was amazing, considering what they put us through.

4 Thank graysonp
New York City, New York
“Awful new chef”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

For years Beach Plum was one of our "go to " restaurants. This year they have a new chef and a new vibe. The vibe is fine although we did not enjoy drinking water out of jam jars. The food is sparse with not a lot if sides for a forty dollar entree. If you order the chicken, the entire chicken comes including the head and the feet. Same thing if you order the fish. The favors are unsophisticated and not good. It felt like the chef was a farmer with no formal cooking experience.

• Visited August 2013